Best bike for your price range?

TwiggzSA

So we get a lot of newbies (and more experienced Hubbers) asking what's the best bike for a particular price range?

Now I know that it's fact that red bikes are fastest but in terms of spec, what is the best purchase for different price brackets.

Do you think there will be value in creating a thread for recommendations in different categories, make some recommendations for the following price ranges:

• R3500 - R5000
  • R5000 - R8500
  • R8500 - R12 5000

• Axis A10 29er - R11 799

• R12 500 - R15 500

• Titan 29R Pro, Full XT Groupset, Rockshox Reba fork. R14 400.
  • Momsen AL529: R13 995

• R15 500 - R20 000
  • R20 000 - R25 000

• R25 000 - R35 000
  • R35 000+

I know this could get very subjective but maybe we can get a shortlist for each category. Make you recommendations Hubbers!

Edited by TwiggzSA

• Replies 34
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I think it's a cool idea, of course the list will change with new releases etc, but it will give people an idea at least.

Can we also have a special cat for red ones?

Actually Smolster, I created this thread for you. So you don't have to recommend a "red one" all the time. So just for that reason we'll create a red group. All categories will get a red bike group.

I think it's a cool idea, of course the list will change with new releases etc, but it will give people an idea at least.

I got thinking that every so often we can release a new list of updated models in the different price ranges. Probably every three to six month since new bikes don't show up that often.

So when it's up to date, you know that for the give budget you are getting the best possible value for money.

This thread may anger those in the classifieds selling "brand new, only ridden 5 times" bikes for more than/same as they paid for them :ph34r:

Surely what is best would always be a little subjective? (EDIT: I see you recognised that already). One may have a slightly better fork, another slightly better components. Add to this the fact that I have on occasion seen the same bikes on two different sites with different components.

And as someone else already mentioned that it would be constantly changing. Also you have a situation like mine where I picked up a R7k Silverback Phoenix for R4.5k on a clearance sale. Would we be using RRP price to categorize bikes or the best price available anywhere?

The idea is nice but not sure how it will work in reality.

Edited by Clint_ZA

I must say, I bought my Trek Top Fuel 8 off the hub for R8000. FOX suspension front (32 RL 100) and back (RP2), and SLX with an XT derailleur. Much bontrager-ness abounds, but this bike has been the nicest setup for me. Sub 12kg duallie without breaking the bank? Sounded like a winner to me. I would highly recommend this bike to anyone who asked for a mid-range dual suspension bike.

Surely what is best would always be a little subjective? (EDIT: I see you recognised that already). One may have a slightly better fork, another slightly better components. Add to this the fact that I have on occasion seen the same bikes on two different sites with different components.

And as someone else already mentioned that it would be constantly changing. Also you have a situation like mine where I picked up a R7k Silverback Phoenix for R4.5k on a clearance sale. Would we be using RRP price to categorize bikes or the best price available anywhere?

The idea is nice but not sure how it will work in reality.

Nope! No true!

...pretty much anything that I say is the best buy, is!

:lol: :P

Actually Smolster, I created this thread for you. So you don't have to recommend a "red one" all the time. So just for that reason we'll create a red group. All categories will get a red bike group.

Hahah. Thanks, as long as the newbies are informed!

Ok, so if in a price bracket, it is best to look for a second hand bike, then say so and recommend the specifications.

In each category you can recommend a MTB or Road bike. If a category can take a dual sus or a hardtail then both can be considered but one will be better.

Each month a new list can be published based on new releases.

Hahah. Thanks, as long as the newbies are informed!

Smolster, the only reason this website exists is because red bikes are fastest.

So we get a lot of newbies (and more experienced Hubbers) asking what's the best bike for a particular price range?

Now I know that it's fact that red bikes are fastest but in terms of spec, what is the best purchase for different price brackets.

Do you think there will be value in creating a thread for recommendations in different categories, make some recommendations for the following price ranges:

• R3500 - R5000
  • R5000 - R8500
  • R8500 - R12 5000
  • R12 500 - R15 500
  • R15 500 - R20 000
  • R20 000 - R25 000
  • R25 000 - R35 000
  • R35 000+

I know this could get very subjective but maybe we can get a shortlist for each category. Make you recommendations Hubbers!

I think it would be easier to find the answer to Life, the Universe and Everything than to compile such a list.

I think it would be easier to find the answer to Life, the Universe and Everything than to compile such a list.

With the help of the power of the hub, I think it is possible.

With the help of the power of the hub, I think it is possible.

May the farce be with you.