2012 VW Tiguan

Lukep

I am looking to buy a 2012 VW Tiguan,

I have always been told not to buy diesel becuase the quality of the diesel in SA is poor and the maintence costs on a diesel are much higher than on a petrol.

Also that diesel is hard to sell/ trade in becuase of the higher maintence costs.

I am really torn between the 2.0TDI 81kw and the 1.4TSI 91kw.

I dont do much lond distance driving mostly town driving, I dont tow anything so I am really looking for a car that is going to use the least amount of fuel in town/ traffic driving.

Anyone on the hub who has a Tiguan in either of the above who can provide the consumption figure and a general overview of the car.

Thanks

• Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Have driven both for more than a week each. Both are nice and each has it's own pro's and cons. Between those two there's little to choose in terms of real life town driving - depends a lot more on your right foot.

I liked the TSI for how it doesn't bog down when pulling away. Especially in 1st. The TDI has the torque card up it's sleeve which means it'll pull over and through just about anything, at just about any speed in just about any gear. Won't be a big factor for town driving though.

There are some horror stories about injectors on diesel engines (not limited to VW) and the related costs to replace, but they are in the minority. If I remember correct you are advised to only use 50ppm low Sulpher diesel in the Tiguan motor.

Diesels are very popular which helps 2nd hand value, but the horror stories keep some people away. If I were you I'd phone 4/5 dealers and get an ACTUAL trade in price (not quoted from the book) then calculate how much (% wise) you stand to loose over current new price.

With the TSI being as light as it is on fuel it will take you considerably longer to make up the difference at the pump in price.

PS: Unfortunately I can't remember exact consumption of both.

I have the same 2.0 TDI engine in my Audi and its brilliant. I've had it for 4 years with no problems at all. Consumption is fantastic (with a light foot you can keep it below 6l / 100km) and there is plenty of grunt. As mentioned by the The Crow, its just a bit slow off the line, but it makes up for it in heeps once the turbo kicks in.

I try to use the 50 ppm Diesel, but have used the 500 ppm plenty also. The only difference seems to be that there is slightly more engine smoke with the later.

Maintenance on a Diesel is not necessarily more expensive - if something breaks it will generally cost a lot, but the chance of something breaking is a lot lower, especially on this particular engine. In any event, if there is anything major wrong with your engine the warranty should cover it.

Have driven both for more than a week each. Both are nice and each has it's own pro's and cons. Between those two there's little to choose in terms of real life town driving - depends a lot more on your right foot.

I liked the TSI for how it doesn't bog down when pulling away. Especially in 1st. The TDI has the torque card up it's sleeve which means it'll pull over and through just about anything, at just about any speed in just about any gear. Won't be a big factor for town driving though.

There are some horror stories about injectors on diesel engines (not limited to VW) and the related costs to replace, but they are in the minority. If I remember correct you are advised to only use 50ppm low Sulpher diesel in the Tiguan motor.

Diesels are very popular which helps 2nd hand value, but the horror stories keep some people away. If I were you I'd phone 4/5 dealers and get an ACTUAL trade in price (not quoted from the book) then calculate how much (% wise) you stand to loose over current new price.

With the TSI being as light as it is on fuel it will take you considerably longer to make up the difference at the pump in price.

PS: Unfortunately I can't remember exact consumption of both.

And look at this, http://www.udfiltration.com/

Hi Lulep

I work at a VW dealership and the 1.4 tsi is the top selling Tiguan in the range, Fuel consumption is awesome and the resale on the 1.4 tsi is much better than the bigger engined Tiguan`s.

PS......I am not in the sales dept

I had the 2.0 TSi petrol Tiguan. Brilliant car, but I battled to sell it.

If you are going to buy one, stay away from black. Buy Silver of white. Go for the auto gearbox, it will sell easier.

Thanks! Will have a look to have one fitted to my Ranger. 4X4 and over-landing takes one places where there is hardly any fuel, never mind 50ppm!

Lekker. New T6?....what a trok

I hear you....Moz diesel is hond to say the least...I would rather buy here and take with

Well the 50ppm diesel (Sasol especially) is amonth the best diesel in the world, sasols diesel is closer to about 20ppm and is the best quality.

the real thing to look at is: the additional cost of a diesel motor over the petrol in the initial purchase, means you need to do quite big milage to see a real cost saving, especially since the difference in diesel/petrol price has reduced.

Hi. I have a 2010 1.4 TSI (110kw).

Great ride. No problems. Consumption +- 8-9 l/100km mainly city driving.7-8 on freeway @ 110-120 km/h.Interior quality far better than most rivals esp if u choose leather option.

Overpriced Panel van

you're thinking of the Caddy... which, if taken in consideration with the likes of the Renault twingo, peugeot partner and so on is not as overpriced as you think...

I really think that 2.0 TDI 81kw is underpowered, compared to the 2.2 Honda CRV @ 103kw.

I really think that 2.0 TDI 81kw is underpowered, compared to the 2.2 Honda CRV @ 103kw.

If you're referring to their diesel CRV, yes, an extra R130,000 will buy you the extra (bit) of horsepower.

Can we stick to comparing apples with apples?

If you're referring to their diesel CRV, yes, an extra R130,000 will buy you the extra (bit) of horsepower.

Is that the price diff??? sorry, thought the VW was same price.

I'm very happy with my crv - maybe its worth that little bit extra?

oh, snap.

with R 130k I'd take the Tigger straight to SAC and do a conversion on that sucka!