SLX (M666) vs XT (M785) Brakes

TopFuel

Hi Hubbers.

I'm needing to replace the brakes on my Trek Top Fuel 8. I'm currently tossing up between SLX or XT. I'm not sure if the XT brakes are worth the extra cash. Current riding is XC with a bit of Tokai trails. Correct me if I'm wrong, but the XT and SLX brakes are the same except for the bite-point adjustment on the XT (which reviews say is an entirely underwhelming feature) and the forged lever.

Any advice, suggestions, comments?

P.S The Spanish are a poor team and I hope Busquets and Iniesta breaks their legs in the Final.

SLX won the recent brake shootout in MBUK, and those guys don't hold back on ripping something apart. SLX was pitted against big names, XTR, XT, Hope, Formula R1's, Magura's...and came out tops.

SLX won the recent brake shootout in MBUK, and those guys don't hold back on ripping something apart. SLX was pitted against big names, XTR, XT, Hope, Formula R1's, Magura's...and came out tops.

The XT brakes are awesome, worth the money in my opinion but judging by what MBUK have to say about the SLX brakes then they must be out of this world to have trumped the XT brakeset.

The XT brakes are awesome, worth the money in my opinion but judging by what MBUK have to say about the SLX brakes then they must be out of this world to have trumped the XT brakeset.

Ja look I have XT's, and really loving them, much better than the Avid Elixir CR's I had before. The are a dream to bleed, light enough, tough enough and they don't break the bank. But if you look at overall value, the SLX's are hard to beat, actually the whole SLX range is awesome expecially the crank. XT just have a bit more pimpness. If I was building a bike on a strict budget, I would go SLX. I think the MBUK crew was impressed by the cost vs performance

Ja look I have XT's, and really loving them, much better than the Avid Elixir CR's I had before. The are a dream to bleed, light enough, tough enough and they don't break the bank. But if you look at overall value, the SLX's are hard to beat, actually the whole SLX range is awesome expecially the crank. XT just have a bit more pimpness. If I was building a bike on a strict budget, I would go SLX. I think the MBUK crew was impressed by the cost vs performance

It will be my brakeset of choice for my trail bike when I upgrade :thumbup:

Came out tops in terms of the overall package, especially value for money. This does not mean they rated it as the best brake in terms of absolute performance.

Came out tops in terms of the overall package, especially value for money. This does not mean they rated it as the best brake in terms of absolute performance.

True, but then again I never said they are the best performing ;) The old chestnut of am I prepared to pay 70% more for a 5-10% gain.

I like the way they test / rate gear, gives you a better perspective

True, but then again I never said they are the best performing ;) The old chestnut of am I prepared to pay 70% more for a 5-10% gain.

I like the way they test / rate gear, gives you a better perspective

Indeed, I feel the same way. The WHAT series of magazines are good, generally not afraid to do proper comparative reviews, and seemingly not overly influenced by advertisers.

a recent extremely happy owner of 2012 XT+ice tech rotors, can't go wrong with them.

G

Thanks very much guys. I appreciate the feedback. I'm leaning toward SLX and Ice Techs vs XT without (budget), but still haven't made a final decision.

CWC has a special on the last generation SLX brakes @R1599 for front and back I think. I have them and love them. Been riding them for a year now and it's been a "fit and forget" situation.

Plenty of power, modulation and just worry-free riding.

I have seen that special, but it is the previous generation SLX brakes (M665). For that price it is still very tempting though.

I have seen that special, but it is the previous generation SLX brakes (M665). For that price it is still very tempting though.

The M666 just look so much nicer though :drool: