Camelbak feeder pipe insulation

BrianMTB

Hi everyone

I was wondering if there are any good ideas for insulating the feeder pipe on a Camelbak between the bladder and the mouthpiece. It isn't too much of an issue in the current climatic conditions we are enjoying in SA but on longer rides in the summer months there is nothing worse than taking that first mouthful of hot liquid (no rude jokes please :huh: ) after the sun has heated it up in the pipe. I'm riding the Tour de Tuli in a few weeks where temperatures are sure to turn this into an unnecessary irritation.

I saw in Cape Union Mart they have what looks like neoprene pipe insulators for Camelbaks - has anyone used one? Are they effective?

Thanks

Hi everyone

I was wondering if there are any good ideas for insulating the feeder pipe on a Camelbak between the bladder and the mouthpiece. It isn't too much of an issue in the current climatic conditions we are enjoying in SA but on longer rides in the summer months there is nothing worse than taking that first mouthful of hot liquid (no rude jokes please :huh: ) after the sun has heated it up in the pipe. I'm riding the Tour de Tuli in a few weeks where temperatures are sure to turn this into an unnecessary irritation.

I saw in Cape Union Mart they have what looks like neoprene pipe insulators for Camelbaks - has anyone used one? Are they effective?

Thanks

I bought the insulated pipes when i was in the uk quite expensive, basically a peace of neoprene wrapped around the tube,

CWC had something similar wich a mate of mine bought for like R80, cant remember which brand it was though, not quite as good as the camelback version but works almost as well.

Hi everyone

Thanks

I used to blow the water back into the bladder after every sip, but this was tough on nasty climbs where I was already out of breath. So I got a Lizardskin (from CWC) insulator and it is effective enough that it is now unnecessary to blow back the water. I would recommend the insulator, I think I actually climb a bit better now.

Edited by Andre Maree

I like the insulator too, its just effort to blow it back as far as im concerned.

Thanks Covie

Do what Ryan said. It is actually a tip that Camelbak give on their website. Don't waist your money on the sleeve

Thanks Ryan, this is what I normally do but am hoping not to have to anymore B)

I used to blow the water back into the bladder after every sip, but this was tough on nasty climbs where I was already out of breath. So I got a Lizardskin (from CWC) insulator and it is effective enough that it is now unnecessary to blow back the water. I would recommend the insulator, I think I actually climb a bit better now.

Great, thanks I'll take a look

I used the insulation tube (neoprene?) available at Cape Union Mart on Kili, but the water in the tube froze, not even blowing back every now and then was enough, too cold.

I bought the Camelbak insulated director tube and it works really well. The director means that you can bend the pipe and it will stay in position for hands free drinking - which helps for those long technical downhills. It also helps if you have the new Antidote reservoir but you can use the old Omega if you convert it to the quick-link system.

http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/Images/Models/Original/57166.jpg

I like the insulator too, its just effort to blow it back as far as im concerned.

Thanks Ryan, this is what I normally do but am hoping not to have to anymore B)

Really? :huh:

A mouthfull of air is all it take to blow what liquid is left in the pipe back into the bladder.... Can it really be that much effort? Do it once you have swallowed and caught your breath! Save your money

A mouthfull of air is all it take to blow what liquid is left in the pipe back into the bladder.... Can it really be that much effort? Do it once you have swallowed and caught your breath! Save your money

Yes it can be bad on long steep climbs. Also blowing back hot air into the bladder just makes the water even warmer, and it ads air to the bladder.

Im not that good at giving tubes blowjobs.

Yes it can be bad on long steep climbs. Also blowing back hot air into the bladder just makes the water even warmer, and it ads air to the bladder.

You aren't supposed to empty your lungs!!!! Besides your hot breath shouldn't heat up the liquid. We are talking about a mouthful of air here!! By the way, a little bit of air in the bladder helps you get all the liquid out. I speak from experience. ;)

Each to their own I suppose. Whatever works for you. I just blow it back. Never had an issue.