What do you think is the toughest MTB trail in SA?

Wipeout2

The full BLUE loop at Thaba , it's about 34 Km .

It's if you go out on the greeen route and add all the blue bits to it ,

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Thaba is the tough because of the steep hills but it is certainly not too bad technically. My other half was able to ride all the descents without a problem.

There are some trails I have ridden at Van Gaalens, Voortrekker Monument and Mankele that are much harder.

As I posted before, I have heard about trails in Swaziland and also Lesotho which make the above Feel like child's play.

Sho, I don't know...thaba blue is heavier than anything I have done at VG(concrete slabs...pofadder...daggapad...oom piets...tant miems...greek church...river). What you must also remember is that you don't have as many recovery points at Thaba so fatigue sets in much quicker and concentration goes for a ball of dwang.

Sho, I don't know...thaba blue is heavier than anything I have done at VG(concrete slabs...pofadder...daggapad...oom piets...tant miems...greek church...river). What you must also remember is that you don't have as many recovery points at Thaba so fatigue sets in much quicker and concentration goes for a ball of dwang.

There are a few new trails at VG which are hectic. Don't think they have names yet.

Well, Legend Gorge 80k has the southern hemisphere's steepest climb, and then sand that makes even a quad bike get stuck, but somehow this year's Sabie made me suffer more than any other route I have been on. I dont find Barberton tough, its just hard in a lekker way. Van Gaalen's, that can be as tough as anyone can handle, depending on which routes you link together and how big your nuts are.

Rode Groenkloof this weekend..not that tough, so Mankele still remains my toughest, but lets see, a trail a weekend will tell.

Modderfontein this Saturday

Toughest race for me yet was Sabie ultra this year. The heat with over 3000m of climbing made it almost unbearable.

I have it secondhand that the ultra distance at Induna this year was so hard that only 5 people finished - is that true? That would make it even worse than Sabie.

Would dig to try Attakwas - aka hardekwas... :whistling:

Modderfontein this Saturday

Won't even be tough on a road bike :P

Edited by slick

Won't even be tough on a road bike :P

that's dissapointing, but need to tick it off my list (& check if it is easy enough for my wif..as she has started and thought groenkloof was tooooo technical!)

that's dissapointing, but need to tick it off my list (& check if it is easy enough for my wif..as she has started and thought groenkloof was tooooo technical!)

Yeah. Groenies is too tough for beginners. Any novices will love Modders though. It is a good introduction ride.

Thaba, the full blue loop, but in reverse... And yes, we ride up all the big rocks to the top of the hill, without portaging...

Kliprug single track up from Contermans is a wicked trail (Tygerberg trails in Cape Town). Would love to know who hasn't yet touched the ground with their feet on that climb - technical and narrow.

Redsone crazy croc was the most difficult race to date .Took me 3 hours to ride 25km .Most DNF to date.Probably the reason they stopped the race

The best in the country can only be...Welvanpas in Wellington and if you don't agree, its time for you stop bunny-hopping sidewalks because you don't know .

Edited by MDK