Dropper Posts: Things are hotting up

Iwan Kemp

• Replies 702
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Got my Reverb in the post today. How do I know if it's a 1 or 2 and would it be a problem if it's a 1?

The collar colour will help you tell the difference.

Black collar = Reverb 2 (or 2nd generation)

http://bicycle.co.nz/media/catalog/product/cache/1/image/5e06319eda06f020e43594a9c230972d/r/o/rock-shox-reverb-2012.jpg

Silver collar = Reverb 1 (first generation)

http://www.pricepoint.com/images/styleImages/D_275%20ROCRV1__0.jpg

But chances are you got the 2. I don't think many 1's came to SA or are left in circulation.

The collar colour will help you tell the difference.

Black collar = Reverb 2 (or 2nd generation)

http://bicycle.co.nz/media/catalog/product/cache/1/image/5e06319eda06f020e43594a9c230972d/r/o/rock-shox-reverb-2012.jpg

Silver collar = Reverb 1 (first generation)

http://www.pricepoint.com/images/styleImages/D_275%20ROCRV1__0.jpg

But chances are you got the 2. I don't think many 1's came to SA or are left in circulation.

Thanks. Mine's black.

• 2 weeks later...

Crow, what about your review on the Lev?

It's only been two weeks since I've strapped it to the Ibis and prefer to ride a month or two before I'll venture an opinion, but here are my initial thoughts: BRILLIANT!

To be honest once you have the post up and running and have used it a couple of times it's difficult to tell the difference in "feel" between this, the Reverb and the i900/i950. They are all smooth with little to no play so as far as I'm concerned there's not much in it. Runing them side by side does however show that the Reverb runs smoothest of the lot.

Apart from the obvious the Lev scores high for it's updated seatclamp. It's much easier to mount a saddle and adjust to your liking. Setting it up is seriously easy as well. Instructions are easy to understand and do-able by just about anybody. Attaching the cable to the post is done in such a way that it's easy to get to it should you want to trim the cable. Had to do mine after the first ride thanks to the usual cable stretch, but didn't mind as I always check and adjust after a first ride anyway.

Remote works like it should. I prefer the less bulky version of the Reverb and am still a fan of the original Maverick (Since used on Joplin and X-Fusion posts) which worked in every direction and position on the bar. I have the KS remote integrated with my ODI grips. Looks neat and works like a bomb. Will post some pics later.

Having a fixed cable is a small revelation. I've never had it bad thanks to experimenting with all kinds of fittings and cable guides and junk, but with this is stupidly easy. Bike looks neat and a added benefit is MUCH less clear tape on the bike. Just pure stealth matte black sex carbon.

From what I've read the post has been reliable. But again, to be honest, so was my Reverb and the KS' I had before it. Had to sent a I900 KS back to the UK for some warranty TLC, but had it back within a week. Since then it's been a loooooong love affair with dropper posts. On a side note, my Reverb is in theory a MkI, but bought with the supplied RS warranty kit for the hoses and fittings so never had an issue.

Enough mumbling. What does all of this mean? If you have a KS or a Reverb and it works, stick with it. If you're looking at buying then it will be a tough choice between the Reverb and the Lev. Reverb is cheaper and you won't have cable stretch issues. KS now have local back-up and support + have done a stellar job to sort the cable issue which is a BIG plus. For it came down to cable management so the Reverb had to make way. Was even looking at doing a DIY Stealth fitment ( http://forums.mtbr.com/ibis/installing-stealth-reverb-seat-dropper-mojo-hd-771959.html ), but decided with the Lev on the market it's an unnecessary risk to take.

and has anyone tried out the new Giant dropper post?

Not sure if it's just all in the head, but felt a bit more on the cheap side compared to some of the other offerings. Couple of guys I have spoken to who ride them has said that they have been mostly reliable, but needs a lot of tlc with one guy's needing a full service / rebuild half way through winter. Too few okes on them to give definite opinion or label them as unreliable. Unless they come into the aftermarket at a seriously good price no one will pick them over a Reverb or KS and to be honest it's not up there yet to compete head on with either of those.

On the downside:

Only available in 30.9

Only available with 100mm drop (last time I checked) which is only good for XC and light trail bikes

Use an internal cable clamp so is a b!tch to setup properly

Heavy compared to the rest

Needs lots of TLC (apparently)

Only available with setback - good for some, not so good for others.

Edited by The Crow

Guys.. a joplin 1 i think ,even worth 500>?

Or just issues>?

I bought my joplin on special for R500 from CWC. I thought it was worth it considering it was cheaper than a normal seatpost. Hasnt given me any problems so far (holding thumbs) but if it does I'll just chuck it and invest in something more reliable..

Guys.. a joplin 1 i think ,even worth 500>?

Or just issues>?

In order to prepare myself for a proper, well-informed reply I withdrew R500 at the ATM last night. I used R50 to place a bet on Ben Spies NOT crashing at any time during the next MotoGP weekend. Used R100 odd bucks to buy the latest Bicycling and Men's Health to get the "latest, greatest" tips on how to have a summer body and train for the Argus like a monster (on no drugs). I gave R10 to a beggar who promised to buy bread ( I believed him cause no way could one person drink any more alcohol the way he smelled) and spend R300 on some gardening stuff. The rest I chucked.

I can now honestly say that even though that is R500 bucks properly wasted, it is still money better spend than buying a Joplin.

In order to prepare myself for a proper, well-informed reply I withdrew R500 at the ATM last night. I used R50 to place a bet on Ben Spies NOT crashing at any time during the next MotoGP weekend. Used R100 odd bucks to buy the latest Bicycling and Men's Health to get the "latest, greatest" tips on how to have a summer body and train for the Argus like a monster (on no drugs). I gave R10 to a beggar who promised to buy bread ( I believed him cause no way could one person drink any more alcohol the way he smelled) and spend R300 on some gardening stuff. The rest I chucked.

I can now honestly say that even though that is R500 bucks properly wasted, it is still money better spend than buying a Joplin.

Bwahahahahaha!!! With my R 500 i bought 2 new saws (18 TPI dovetail saw and 20TPI fine cut saw) and a new set of Mastercraft screwdrivers.

Far better than a joplin, and guaranteed to last for more than one weekend.

Damn dude! are they really that crap?

Oh well, mines held up so far, lets hope I get some decent use out of it before it decides to k@k

KS Lev 150mm replaced my trusty and ultra-reliable Reverb over the weekend

post-1575-0-67489800-1349155201_thumb.jpg

crow where did you buy that Lev? man they are awesome i really want one but cant find locally.

Bwahahahahaha!!! With my R 500 i bought 2 new saws (18 TPI dovetail saw and 20TPI fine cut saw) and a new set of Mastercraft screwdrivers.

Far better than a joplin, and guaranteed to last for more than one weekend.

As funny as that was ,it makes me sad..... :(

Prob never own a dropper then <_<