Bicycle weight difference

Barkie

my 2c....my GT weighs 14.5kg....i rode a stumpy of 12.5kg...theres a MASSIVE difference...BUT only when you climb.

Well....that was my experience..so yes, since always climbs in races...weight makes a difference...

BUT:

my bike = R20 - R30 k range...Stumpy = R80k range...

• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

genade! My Talon weighs less than an R80k bike :D

Giant Talon?

29er? i beg to differ.

Keep in mind, the Stumpy is Full Sus.

29'r talon. Was inflating as I havent assembled last few parts yet. But given what it weighed with Alivo crank and old wheels/casette I recon it will be below 13kg def. Rear rim with rotor and casette without tyre was already way over 2kg...

SLX Crank

PXC2 wheels

XTR Shifters

XTR at the back

XT Casette and front derailer

Normal Shimano brakes

Recon silver fork.

Rest Giant Connect SL

Relize that the talon frame is the same as the XTC frame. They probably only use diff quality alu. I had to go to my LBS for some assitance removing the BB this morning. Frame had BB and headset in. He picked it up and fell on his back. "wow this frame is light" was his exact words ;). I will weigh it tonight without BB.

Edited by JTK

I once read 1:4 in a cycling mag. I can't remember the logic behind it though.

Then it would be 1kg on bike = 4kg on rider.

I weighed my friends Talon (XL frame) = 14.5 KG.

Jip mine is a bit less already (stock fork goneand XTR kit). Just over 14kg. I am now replacing the Crank & BB and the wheels. Crank and BB going from Alivio octalink to SLX hollo II. Wheels going from solid train wheels ( cheapest gamo inhouse - dont even have a model but with rotors they weight almost 3.5kg to PXC2's which loosing the tubes in the process. New rims weigh at least a 1kg less than old ones and tubes maybe take off another 500grams(slime tubes)? Then still the crank. I recon 1.5kg+ shaved off the bike where it counts... And bike still cost me less than R10k with all the upgrades by shopping wisely...

all of this is purely achedemic thought. I still need to learn to ride and get fit :D

Edited by JTK

Then it would be 1kg on bike = 4kg on rider.

You can ONLY say that if you're at exactly the same fitness level when weighing less. In other words, if you loose weight by training you can't say "BIKE AT CONSTANT WEIGHT VS LIGHTER RIDER = SO MUCH TIME GAINED THEREFOR..."

Car industry did a test and rotational weight vs rest is 1:5 with some tests going up to 1:7 when adding all of the weight above the COG.

My SL-R weighs 1.7kg less than my HD. On my HD I battled my ass off to climb to the top of Tokai with a 22-34 gear ratio. I do it on my SL-R with a 33-36 ratio. Same fitness level, same gear, same over-weight rider.

It is worth noting that of the 1.7kg only 500g is in the frame. The rest is (mostly) wheels and tyres.

New rims weigh at least a 1kg less than old ones...

This alone will make a MASSIVE difference. Massive.

I weighed my friends Talon (XL frame) = 14.5 KG.

I have a 2007 Talon (26er of course). Total weight with 2 x water bottles (full), saddle bag and the rest is around 15.5 kg. A beast!! Then have a Mongoose HT (26er) with XT and XTR mix at 10.6 kg.

Riding with the wife at 5 kph, no difference. Riding at race pace = HUUUUGE difference.

This alone will make a MASSIVE difference. Massive.

is my feeling as well. And running tubeless with same tyres will take another 400g off right at the edge of the rotation I am sure.

It works out to about R5000 per kg to reduce your bike weight but 1kg.

Not quite. If you have cheap bike it can be VERY easy and much cheaper than R5k to reduce your bike's weight by 1kg

When I was 10kg heavier, I'm now 70kgs, I noticed an improvement of about 2km/h average speed in a race situation.

Are you at exactly the same fitness level? Before and after?

Useless information but applicable here: A friend and I worked it out that per 1kg that you save on your bike it is equal to 5kg body weight.

Not quite. It would depend a great deal on where you save the weight on your bike.

Priced carbon replacement parts and weight saving on the replaced parts.

You don't have to go carbon to save weight.

Obviously also depends on what base you're starting from but it's not an exact science.

Lead with this next time. ;)

After a lot of debate between myself and some friends, bike shops etc...we found the quickest way to reduce a bikes weight is to STFU and HTFU, and ride it. :clap:

is my feeling as well. And running tubeless with same tyres will take another 400g off right at the edge of the rotation I am sure.

Just make sure your tyres will be happy to run tubeless. If the sidewalls are thin / soft they will squirm when cornered hard and won't be happy to be run too soft.

Just make sure your tyres will be happy to run tubeless. If the sidewalls are thin / soft they will squirm when cornered hard and won't be happy to be run too soft.

yeah am concerned about this. Maxxis Crossmark (non ust) Will have to go UST if they are unhappy about this. Have heard it run like that before from others so have hope :)

ok. So the Talon frame weighs in @ just under 1.8kg (M). This is with headset and innertube wrapped around chainstay... To me this aint half bad at all.

Weighed the stock Alivio vs SLX cranksets. 400grams diffs. So far so good. Cant weigh complete as I need to sort out hub on front wheel to accept a skewer :D

Edited by JTK