Bicycle weight difference

Barkie

OK. Partially done...

Bike without pedals. 13.2 kg.

Bearing in mind I still need to change wheels, casette and chain.

Stock back wheel complete with skewer, tyre, tube, rotor and casette = 3.2kg

Replacement back wheel without tyre or skewer but with rotor and cesette = 1.6kg

Front stock complete wheel with skewer, rotor, tyre and tube = 2.5kg

Replacement without tyre or skewer but with rotor = 1kg

Diffs = 3.1kg between wheels. Lets say the tyres with stans if I go tubeless is 1.5kg extra. That leaves 1.6kg And the pedals 500grams. That leaves me with 900gram which will make the bike complete 12.3kg. Lighter tyres 300grams off? Not bad for < R10k invested.

Edited by JTK

• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Let's not twist things again. What I am saying is that the "average" cyclist should really not be worrying about 2kg as what they are hoping to achieve is actually better achieved with the slightly heavier bike.

In saying that, of course, the absolute heaviest bike would not make sense as it would dramatically reduce the person's enjoyment of riding.

The infatuation with weight by all those other than the pros is just silly.

I'll admit to not even knowing the weight of my bike.

What is the "average" cyclist? Knowing your opinion of this will be beneficial in understanding your comment.

What is the "average" cyclist? Knowing your opinion of this will be beneficial in understanding your comment.

If you read the post before I think it goes some way to explaining what I feel an "average cyclist" is :

And I always argue about what the average rider is looking to achieve. He is surely not looking to win races but often is looking to get fitter.

Very few cyclists are pros, even less are Burry Stander. So they would not be average. The average rider is riding for fun with the added benefit of getting fit. I am an average cyclist so how is a 1kg weight saving on my bike going to benefit me. It's not.

A few of responses from others lead me to believe that they were fully aware of what was meant.

By the way Richard Best and Camerons used the word average first, so perhaps grill them as to what they meant as my posts were actually in response to these....

You can ONLY say that if you're at exactly the same fitness level when weighing less. In other words, if you loose weight by training you can't say "BIKE AT CONSTANT WEIGHT VS LIGHTER RIDER = SO MUCH TIME GAINED THEREFOR..."

I was not stating this, I was correcting a mathematical error in Cameron's post :whistling:

My SL-R weighs 1.7kg less than my HD. On my HD I battled my ass off to climb to the top of Tokai with a 22-34 gear ratio. I do it on my SL-R with a 33-36 ratio. Same fitness level, same gear, same over-weight rider.

It is worth noting that of the 1.7kg only 500g is in the frame. The rest is (mostly) wheels and tyres.

I will throw in a few more variables which will effect climbing efficiency ie. faster. Bike geometry and suspension travel / set up. Now that I think about it even bike set ups with different crank & stem lengths.

Don't ever underestimate the placebo effect induced by an awesome bicycle.

if you love your bike, and other people are all simply green about it, then you go faster, even if only in your mind.

and even if you don't go faster, but simply love your bike, then who cares, it does make a difference, even only if to yourself.

it might not make financial or scientific sense to drop $$$$ on fancy top of the line components, but it does feel goooood...... And life is too short to deny yourself cycling pleasures.... For me, the technology is part and parcel of my cycling experience...

If you read the post before I think it goes some way to explaining what I feel an "average cyclist" is :

Very few cyclists are pros, even less are Burry Stander. So they would not be average. The average rider is riding for fun with the added benefit of getting fit. I am an average cyclist so how is a 1kg weight saving on my bike going to benefit me. It's not.

A few of responses from others lead me to believe that they were fully aware of what was meant.

By the way Richard Best and Camerons used the word average first, so perhaps grill them as to what they meant as my posts were actually in response to these....

The infatuation with weight by all those other than the pros is just silly.

Wow! Talk about judgemental. If you're not a pro you are average?

So I finish in the front of C batch in the Argus or Top 50 in Masters in the Epic or the front of the field in a mountain bike race and because I ride for fun I'm just average? And I can't get a lighter bike?

And as a result the fact that I want/have a nice, well set up, light bike makes me silly?

"I am an average cyclist so how is a 1kg weight saving on my bike going to benefit me. It's not."

Clint, I agree - a 1kg saving will totally be wasted on you!

And to be honest, I think most people underestimate the level of AVERAGE cyclist... I personally think it's much higher than what most of you think it is.

And as a result the fact that I want/have a nice, well set up, light bike makes me silly?

You understand the word infatuation?

I've also come to realise that you would argue with me even if I said ice was cold. So be it.

you two should maybe meet halfway somewhere on the drakensberg and settle this with the mother of all downhills, once and for all... :D

you two should maybe meet halfway somewhere on the drakensberg and settle this with the mother of all downhills, once and for all... :D

He might need to be joined by a few others too :) But I'd rather take them on with something where I'd have the upper hand.... like an IQ test ;)

(Oh dear, that could be construed as being very rude and insulting which is something I claimed not to do :) Pleas take it as the joke it was meant as and don't run to the mods. Reading it another way, I openly admit I'd probably get my ass whipped in a downhill race!)

Edited by Clint_ZA

I am looking at buying a new MTB that weighs about 2kgs less than my current one. It feels faster, but unfortunately did not have a speedometer. What difference would 2 kilograms make on a mountain bike?

2 kgs is significant, whether you're Burry or Weekend Warrior William.

If you have the bucks, go for it.

He might need to be joined by a few others too :) But I'd rather take them on with something where I'd have the upper hand.... like an IQ test ;)

(Oh dear, that could be construed as being very rude and insulting which is something I claimed not to do :) Pleas take it as the joke it was meant as and don't run to the mods. Reading it another way, I openly admit I'd probably get my ass whipped in a downhill race!)

looking at it a third way. This is a cycling site not a mensa forum ;) ... Reading it a fourth way: if you suck at DH, I may beat you on both :D

Edited by JTK

looking at it a third way. This is a cycling site not a mensa forum

Hence me feeling I had a chance :)

Reading it a fourth way: if you suck at DH, I may beat you on both

Oh dear... seems I might be busy with challenges for a while yet :D

2 kgs is significant, whether you're Burry or Weekend Warrior William.

If you have the bucks, go for it.

Agree. I'm not the fittest person! The difference between my "old" and new bike is around 2kg's and it's made a big difference to my riding. I'm faster and enjoy riding very much more than I did with the old bike. The other thing the 2kg's has helped with, is carrying the bike down and up a flight of stairs.

Ah, the feeling of intellectual superiority comes to the fore? The Aussies have a saying: Legend in his own lunch box.

Why don't you show us this superior intellect of yours then Clint? Rather than boring us with your inane comments and questions. 1,343 posts and it still hasn't surfaced.

BTW, I suck at DH.