Creative way to keep/store a bike indoors

Carrot

The STI won't like that setup...

Oh, shoulda mentioned - I have the bar-ends on my MTB angled so they contact the wall. Also means I can turn the bike over to remove a wheel and fix a flat without messing up anything on my handlebars.

• Replies 132
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Some great ideas........... i have taken the same hooks and hang the bike by the front rim. To date havent any damage ( that i can see :whistling: )

That's cool, too. The reason I don't do that is the bike seems much less stable - more likely to flop about if it gets bumped (maybe I did something wrong). Also I'm sure I read somewhere that it's not a great idea to hang a bike by its rims - something about wheels being designed for compression rather than tension-forces. But I know some of people who do, and I never heard of them having a problem.

My quick and cheap DIY solution might give you some additional ideas.

All required is some roofing timber and screws.

Yes you need a bit of space but even the smallest kids can get their bikes out without much hassle. By turning the handle bars 45 degrees you save a stack of space and getting bikes in or out still easy and no banging the neighbouring bike. For some reason I just dont like the idea of hanging a bike by it's rim, and this pretty much covers that. post-18345-0-35862000-1342632631.jpg

Edited by Old School Rookie

I like those horizontal wood setups very much, but how and where to get a piece of wood like that... :wacko:

My quick and cheap DIY solution might give you some additional ideas.

All required is some roofing timber and screws.

Yes you need a bit of space but even the smallest kids can get their bikes out without much hassle. By turning the handle bars 45 degrees you save a stack of space and getting bikes in or out still easy and no banging the neighbouring bike. For some reason I just dont like the idea of hanging a bike by it's rim, and this pretty much covers that. post-18345-0-35862000-1342632631.jpg

I hear shocks go soft if your store the bikes like that. :devil:

I hear shocks go soft if your store the bikes like that. :devil:

No....I think that was more a case of....if you leave a horse in it's stable for too long then you cant expect it to be in top form when you eventually throw a saddle on. :whistling:

That is actually quite brilliant.

Yeah. Almost all MTB parks have similar poles everywhere to hang bikes by their saddles.

I have to laugh at you guys who don't think a bike's rim can't withstand the 7 to 17 kgs of the bike's weight. LOL

Of course the best way to store a MTB is upside down so that the oil keeps the seals in the fork lubed. ;)

Yeah. Almost all MTB parks have similar poles everywhere to hang bikes by their saddles.

I have to laugh at you guys who don't think a bike's rim can't withstand the 7 to 17 kgs of the bike's weight. LOL

Of course the best way to store a MTB is upside down so that the oil keeps the seals in the fork lubed. ;)

this is also why the lighter bikes are inside and the heavier ones on the supported sides

I have a rope in the garage hanging from a rafter with the end converted into a hangmans noose - just hook the saddle into it to hold bike upright and lube the chain or take a wheel off etc.