1st MTB Race - What to expect?

Audible Anarchy

As a seasoned roadie, i will be riding my first 35km MTB race at Babbas on Sunday - any tips or advice?

Been riding the MTB mostly on the Spruit thus far. But ja, have no idea what to expect.

Babbas.....flat, fast, some sand.... minimal single track. One thing, after the neutral zone on that tar road.....it is flat out until you blow. No such thing as warming up in the bunch.

Welcome to the good side :whistling:

Babbas is a good place to do your first MTB race - flat and not technical. Expect about 250 other riders, but once you are out on the course it thins out nicely. It will be a bit sandy in sections so keep your weight off the front wheel. The back section of the course goes over grassland and is bumpy but all in all good fun.

Remember not to take out the roadie manners on the trail :whistling: :w00t:

Most of all enjoy yourself! :thumbup:

Take a 35km mtb race as a 95km road race

Good point by BrianMTB leave the Image/Posing/*** attitude to the roadies.

Just go out to have some fun.

Ride within your abilities. You will always be quicker if you don't crash.

Make sure your bike is in good working order. Part of the race is keeping your bike going until the end.

Be polite on single track. If faster riders come up behind you, let them pass by keeping to one side of the trail, put a foot down and lean your bike off to the side a bit, an experienced rider only needs 30cm to get past you. Then you can carry on enjoying your ride without the pressure of some one behind you. (you'll probibly catch them on the next hill anyway)

If you want to pass someone on the single track, shout "track". Once they give you some space, tell them which side you will be passing on and make your move.

Have a good one.

Details or link to this race pls... If there is anywhere... :whistling:

Edited by Fruity

The Big 5 plus 1 MTB Super Series 2012 Category: Mountain Biking Events Event Date: 29 July 2012 Entries Close: 26 July 2012 at 12:00 Venue: Babba’s Lodge, Bultfontein Province: Gauteng North Distance: 70km (R130), 35km (R110), 12km (R60), 1km Brats (R30) Starting Time: 09:00 Timed By: Spectrum Sport Timing Number Collection:

At the venue, Babba's Lodge, Bultfontein;

Sunday 29 July 2012, from 06:00 Additional Information:

You will be required to produce your valid CSA license or proof of provincial affiliation at registration or you will be required to purchase an event license.

For all the new CSA Racing and Licensing Rules and Regulations please visit the CSA website, click here

More Information, click here

Prize Money, click here

How to Get There, click here

Alternative ditrections to venue, click here

GPS Coordinates: S 25° 29′ 06.86″ ; E 28° 11′ 11.76″

Results will be listed on, www.spectrumsport.co.za

Contact Details for the Race Office is:

Cell Number: 082 954 9628

Email: francosportevents@gmail.com

you can get to the online entry on the cyclelab site

As the other guys have said - flat and FAST (and usually a lot of fun)! Also - it's unlikely to be 35km - more like 32 based on prior experience.

Thanks guys, So if its flat and fast, can i treat it like a bunch / road race? or is it all single file on a track? I gather i will be starting at the back as its my first MTB race, but i like to think il be able to give it a good go with the ol' big ring (my road seeding index is under 10)

A MTB race can be a bit "lonely" compared to a road race, as sometimes you can go a few kms without seeing another rider. I guess a good bet is to follow a guy who looks like he knows what he's doing and get to grips with his lines and riding style ect. I love MTB races, they keep your mind active throughout without those road race comfort zones.

Remember it starts at 9.00 and not 8.00. Not much single track, easy and enjoyable.

Babbas isnt much of a MTB race! Its more like a time trial. FLAT with no technical bits! Its a nice race to do on a monthly basis in order to monitor your progress/improvements.

Dont start at the back either - if you have good seeding (like you say you do), you'll just get frustrated with the palookas holding you back on the single track.

Have fun and yeah be safe, lots of soft sand :)

• 10 months later...

By the way, don't take a corner like on a road bike. Lean the bike and keep your body as upright as possible to balance any loose sand, gravel etc. Enjoy.