Help needed - breaking up a bike !

martinsnyman

Hi There,

I have an almost brand new Scott aspect 10 2012 - done 400km, ridden by a rookie, so not ridden hard.

I have tried to sell the complete bike, went as low as R 6500 - no takers, must be winter!

Pls could someone advise on how to break down the bike, which components to sell together and more or less what to charge. attached all the specs.

PS -I do not want to rip some guy a new one, but would like to recover 85% of the R 7200 I paid.

Thank you - much appreciated, Martin

Year 2012

Frame

LARGE Aspect Alloy 6061 D.B., Performance geometry, Integrated headtube

Fork

Rock Shox Recon, Silver TK Solo Air, Pop loc lockout, Rebound adjustable, 100 mm travel

Headset

Ritchey Logic OE integrated

Rear Derailleur

Shimano XT, RD-M780 SGS, Shadow Type, 30 Speed

Front Derailleur

Shimano Deore, FC-M590-10, 34.9mm

Shifters

Shimano Deore SL-M591-10, Rapidfire plus, 2 way release, w/gear indicator

Brakelevers

Shimano BL-M445 Disc

Brakes

Shimano BR-M446 Disc, Hydr. Disc

Crankset

Shimano FC-M552, black, 42Ax32Ax24S T

BB-Set

Shimano Cartridge, 68mm shell

Handlebar

Scott Aspect OS, 640mm, black, 31.8mm, 15mm rise, 8° backsweep

Stem

Scott Comp, JD-ST57 A

Pedal

Wellgo C 128

Seatpost

Scott Comp, 31.6mm

Seat

Scott Aspect

Hub front

Scott Disc Team CL

Hub rear

Shimano FH-RM 66-CL

Chain

Shimano CN-HG54

Cassette

Shimano CS-HG62-10, 11-36 T

Spokes

15 G, stainless, black

Rims

Alex XC-44 Disc 32H, black

Tires

Schwalbe Rocket Ron, 26 x 2.1, 50 EPI wire,

Weight

12.40 kg / 27.31

Edited by Slowbee

Hi Martin,

It's actually a really nice bike - we have one of them in our "portfolio", ours is an extra small size, so it was really good starter bike for my son moving up from 20".

What size is yours?

My personal view is that you wont get more than 4.5k for this, it's just the reality/fact that it's a second hand 26" bike. It's not an entry spec or high range spec/price, it's right at a premium end of hardtail-off-the-shelf budget bike fitted with decent components.

Just sell it for 4-5k and forget about it.

Edited by TheV

Also, this is the hub, Bargain hunters land. Either be patient with your price, or maybe junkmail ?

edit

The V beat me to the draw.

Even with my limited knowledge, TheV is spot on ...

Sorry - it s a large

Size is not in your favor, medium is most common in SA, and it's not a small/xs which is a niche size someone would be looking out for.

Every oke who is 1.8m tall and in the market for an entry level bike will be told by his "mates" that he should be getting a NAAINER... so you are really out of luck on this one, sorry.

Edited by TheV

Hi Martin,

It's actually a really nice bike - we have one of them in our "portfolio", ours is an extra small size, so it was really good starter bike for my son moving up from 20".

What size is yours?

My personal view is that you wont get more than 4.5k for this, it's just the reality/fact that it's a second hand 26" bike. It's not an entry spec or high range spec/price, it's right at a premium end of hardtail-off-the-shelf budget bike fitted with decent components.

Just sell it for 4-5k and forget about it.

Pretty much exactly how The V said it. It's second hand, bud. Regardless of the amount of km it's done, it's 2nd hand. That means a minimum of 30% under the price that you paid for it new. Yes, you will get a better price for it knocked down. In that case, advertise everything seperately (but in the same ad) and list the price for each. EG: the Recon may go for R 2k, RD for R 250 etc etc.

Good luck dude.

Size is not in your favor, medium is most common in SA, and it's not a small/xs which is a niche size someone would be looking out for.

Every oke who is 1.8m tall and in the market for an entry level bike will be told by his "mates" that he should be getting a NAAINER... so you are really out of luck on this one, sorry.

So between not wanting to rip some oke a new one and the new naainer craze- i am getting naaai?????? here? eish - cant believe!!Is there no one building up a 26" looking for some spares????

Pretty much exactly how The V said it. It's second hand, bud. Regardless of the amount of km it's done, it's 2nd hand. That means a minimum of 30% under the price that you paid for it new. Yes, you will get a better price for it knocked down. In that case, advertise everything seperately (but in the same ad) and list the price for each. EG: the Recon may go for R 2k, RD for R 250 etc etc.

Good luck dude.

The risk you run with selling the components is that you end up with a bunch of stuff you can't sell. It's not a tapered forks, it's also QR forks and hubs, it's not 2012 deore components, it's still 2011, the saddle, stem and bar's are real nasty scott issued components.

This is a really nice bike, much nicer than the sum of it's parts... don't strip it, you won't get close to 4.5k for the components and will end up with heap of spares and a sore butt.

Edited by TheV

Please listen to your cuzzie TheV.

Keep it, ride it like you stole it.

Sell it for R4.5k and forget about it forever.

Convert it into a SS and ride the kuk out of it.

DONT STRIP IT UP!!!

Edited by TheV

Please listen to your cuzzie TheV.

Keep it, ride it like you stole it.

Sell it for R4.5k and forget about it forever.

Convert it into a SS and ride the kuk out of it.

DONT STRIP IT UP!!!

OR - Do like I did and convert it to a 1x9 trail monster. Rack the recon up to 120mm (shoudl be able to if Solo Air) and bung some wider bars on it. Smiles guaranteed.

@Mayhem - off topic, but I don't know how a fugly-guy like you got such a hot wife and gorgeous baby... :offtopic:

neither do I dude, Neither do I! We've been told he's too pretty to be a boy. He's gonna be a lady killer. I'm gonna have to fight them off with an ultra rare collection of Barbies (not that I have those.... :oops:

Ok, so how about I buy a second hand Giant VT2 frame (2005) with 3 way swinger shock and manitou minute fork and build it up with the Scotts components, will that be a cool bike? I ride XS as well as groenies and rosemary hill

Ok, so how about I buy a second hand Giant VT2 frame (2005) with 3 way swinger shock and manitou minute fork and build it up with the Scotts components, will that be a cool bike? I ride XC as well as groenies and rosemary hill