Wound treatment advice please!

madvics

Best thing for roasties is clean thoroughly and put Granuflex plasters on before any scabs form, if there are no deep cuts that require stitches. The "glue" on Granuflex is a type of gel, that activates when in contact with moisture from the wound. Leave it on for a week (or 2) and the skin will close under the Granuflex with minimum scarring.

+1 for scrubbing brush and dettol.

you gotta get all the sand and horror out before your body can start healing! I just get into a bath of dettol and carefully scrub with a nail brush. Hurts like hell but is worth it.otherwise you get sand under the skin which no fun when your body tries to get rid of it!

shot dude , I was thinking about those paraffin dressings that you would use for burns.

Well, yes, you can use those to. Whilst they don't do anything to promote wound healing, they at least stop the dressings from sticking to the wound.

For light scrapes the clear adhesive dressings Dick mentioned is great for keeping things clean and dry.

For deep abrasions you need something to speed up healing. Don't let it dry out completely - it will then crack when you move. But you also don't want it wet and yucky. Hence a dressing that combines the clear waterproof type with something that absorbs the fluids secreted by the wound. Typically, these dressings contain a gel, alginate or polymer compound and is often infused with silver ions.

http://www.roosin.com/uploadfile/201110261549170981.jpg

http://www.roosin.com/images/DSC_0431.jpg

The center part of the dressing is either a gel-like pad or a calcium-alginate weave pad.

Use these on a deep abrasion and it will heal in just half the time it usually does ;)

The longer you wait to do this, the worse it will hurt - scrubbing off scabs is not fun.

1 - spray with local anaethetic spray (ask your pharmacist)

2 - clip any loose bits of skin off with sterile scissors

3 - clean it - soft wound brush or nailbrush - keep one handy just for wounds/roasties and keep it clean - if previously used - boil in pot of water for 5 min. - scrub under running water till all the crud is out

4 - Examine under bright light for dirt - clean as appropriate

5 - Antiseptic - hydrogen peroxide is good, hurts like hell on big areas (see 1) savlon/dettol/mecurochorme (sp) work ok - table salt if you are really stuck.

6 - stop local bleeding with sterile pressure dressing - hold it and apply pressure until bleeding stops - if you can't stop it, take a view - put on a pressure dressing, or there is arterial pulsing, visit an ER.

7 - Cover it if needed - plastic skin works well for shallow scrapes, greasy dressings for slightly deeper ones

8 - I am a fan of surgical superglue for small cuts and open wounds (like taking the skin off your knuckles when changing tires and the lever slips) - ordinary superglue works too and is much cheaper, but not guaranteed sterile) - just keep putting it on after cleaning till it heals.

Consider an anti tetanus shot if it has been more than a couple of years since your last one.

Watch carefully for infection, especially in the first week - get proffessional help to resolve that

Post pictures on the Eina's thread :)

:thumbup: Bactoban - good plan to keep a tube in your first aid kit. For cuts essential.

Germaline is almost a waste of time. Bactoban costs more but a few orders of magnitude more effective.

Savlon for initial cleaning, followed by either Betadine anitseptic salve, or Mercurochrome(FOR THE WIN!) Depending on weather the wound should be allowed to stay "wet" for a while or dry up - Mercurochrome for drying.

"Supposedly" Dettol is bad if enough enters your bloodstream, where Savlon is safe.

I also ran out of talent today. Had to clean some wounds. Hurt like hell. Reminded me why NOT to go lie-down during a ride ....

Eish man, good luck. Go to Dischem Midrand and see the dispensary manager, she treated a very awful wound of mine and it healed brilliantly. The wound she treated healed better than any other wound I had. She is also kinda known amongst my friends as “the wound fixer”. Hope you heal fast and get you back on your bike fast.

I came off a motorbike a couple of years ago

Had a nice deep crater just above my knee, cleaned it out daily with a small nail brush (this was fun!)

And then bactoban

Did did for about five days.

Then i sprayed that red stuff on it, thought my leg was on fire! Dried it up very quickly..

What about Staal druppels!!??