Wound treatment advice please!

madvics

So yesterday I was cruising along the fence at groenies , hit the first jump sweetly,feeling strong I jumped some large roots,as i was coming down I landed on an embankment as a result my bike gave way and I hit the dirt big time.

So now my whole right side is scraped badly especially my arm, how do i treat these wounds

I think thats were I have met mother earth aswell! Treated it with a good dose of dettol. And then just wait it out!

You forget to mention Scotch!

Vodka is a better disinfectant.

Oh, you mean for drinking.

Detol and wire brush.

That's for drunk bikers on a Saturday night.

Dilute some detol with water and clean it.Get some Bactroban antiseptic cream and put some on the graze.

+1 for Bactroban - good stuff. Also, if you lost a lot of skin and have oozing in those areas it will cause clothes to stick to those areas. Your bigger pharmacies stock a wide range of dessings. Find something non-stick that draws out moisture. These dressings are usually used on burns. Ask the pharmacist if you are unsure. These dressings will help the wounds heal in half the time.

+1 for Bactroban - good stuff. Also, if you lost a lot of skin and have oozing in those areas it will cause clothes to stick to those areas. Your bigger pharmacies stock a wide range of dessings. Find something non-stick that draws out moisture. These dressings are usually used on burns. Ask the pharmacist if you are unsure. These dressings will help the wounds heal in half the time.

shot dude , I was thinking about those paraffin dressings that you would use for burns.

That's for drunk bikers on a Saturday night.

Right.

My wound is more delicate, I'm on steel wool and detol.

Those plastic skins work for me. Looks a bit sif but keeps everything together and dry you can shower bath etc.

Edited by Dick

shot dude , I was thinking about those paraffin dressings that you would use for burns.

If its hectic roasties then paraffin gauze,not so hectic cap full of savlondettol in the bath,dont dunk your head under the water.Savlon/dettol not good for inner ear. :thumbup:

I am a delivery skipper and we use sugar /not a scientist just know we always use sugar if it is a possible infectious wound - really never even have dettol or bactroban cream with me on deliveries

Only take a small bottle of Hydrogen peroxide topical spray, which as for dettol make sure you use the right one they make surface cleaning products too, Merbromin's is probably what you really want to use..

Antiseptics are applied to living skin or tissue to prevent infection, whereas disinfectants are applied to surfaces

Edited by greenlight