flashing lights.

Gravity

hey all,

so a question, I have a magicshine and it has changed my commuting life,

what I don't get is the point of the stobe function.

do people think that it gives "more" visibility.

I am not ocd/add/adhd or any other acronyms (apart from maybe c.o.o.l) but the flashing really REALLY irritates me.

my back red light has 2 flashing modes and constant on, I ALWAYS use the latter.

and well I think that the strobe function would probably go well at a mine worker rave, but not on the road.

the thing that gets me even more is the amount of people that I see riding with their lights on strobe mode.

I look at them and a get a freaking headache..........

so for all of you that do this.......pray tell why?

It is to test your reaction time on single track maybe? :D

Otherwise the only thing I can think of is to save battery. I have used it a few times before. Once when I marshalled the Nike night running race and I was sheperding the 3rd lady. And then sometimes during Critical Mass.

Because it makes me more visible. The day someone knocks me over, they will never be able to argue that they never saw me, when we are in court... If you get a headache from the 10 seconds of "exposure" you might well have a problem..

Because it makes me more visible. The day someone knocks me over, they will never be able to argue that they never saw me, when we are in court... If you get a headache from the 10 seconds of "exposure" you might well have a problem..

but does it really?

that was the crux of my question, i dont think it does.

as for a headache, i also get a headache if my monitor refresh rate is too low, i think it is normal.

but does it really?

that was the crux of my question, i dont think it does.

as for a headache, i also get a headache if my monitor refresh rate is too low, i think it is normal.

I'm convinced it does... The strobe can be seen from quite a way off, front and back, as opposed to a steady light imho.

Yes, a flashing light is more visible. If I'm riding in the dark (where I need the light to see), it is on steady / constant on. Low light situations (where I can see where I'm going, but might be "invisible" to cars) it is in flashing mode, but I do tilt it down a bit towards the ground.

just the fact that it "irritates you" says it all - those flashing lights not only make you more visible (i.e. be a very strange light amidst those half sleeping car lights), but also lulls oncoming drivers into epileptic shock resulting in them moving of the road altogether.

But a magshine on strobe function is really annoying.

I ride with two rear lights on strobe all the time when commuting.

One mini front white light on strobe or my magshine on full power.

Edited by Let's Ride

But a magshine on strobe function is really annoying.

I ride with two rear lights on strobe all the time when commuting.

One mini front white light on strobe or my magshine on full power.

that makes good sense.

I'm convinced it does... The strobe can be seen from quite a way off, front and back, as opposed to a steady light imho.

Yes, a flashing light is more visible. If I'm riding in the dark (where I need the light to see), it is on steady / constant on. Low light situations (where I can see where I'm going, but might be "invisible" to cars) it is in flashing mode, but I do tilt it down a bit towards the ground.

ok, fair enough so what about the riding experience for you, doesnt it irritate you at all? maybe i will try it this evening, but i can already tell you it will drive me nuts.

ok, fair enough so what about the riding experience for you, doesnt it irritate you at all? maybe i will try it this evening, but i can already tell you it will drive me nuts.

Not really. I find that if the light is facing forward and not shining up into my own face, it works quite well....

Not really. I find that if the light is facing forward and not shining up into my own face, it works quite well....

Same for me, especialy when I tilt it downwards a little.

Guest ctMTBer

The strobe function / NOT flashing is so fast that it can cause a epileptic fit. I am with Gravity here, not sure what the function is for