Oscar Pistorius

Azonic

Quote of the day - "My mother used to tell us in the mornings, 'Carl put on your shoes, Oscar you put on your prosthetic legs, and that's the last I want to hear about it. So I grew up not really thinking I had a disability. I grew up thinking I had different shoes." - Oscar Pistorius

• Replies 335
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

According to 1 of the links posted here they have only tested a few aspects of the blades and they have not taken everything into consideration.

And surely if they cannot PROVE with FACTS that his blades are giving him an unfair advantage then why would they stop him from competing?

Seriously?

He has brought technology and mechanical advantage into a space where equipment that will give an advantage is expressly banned...

Shoes

2. Athletes may compete barefoot or with footwear on one or both feet. The purpose of shoes for competition is to give protection and stability to the feet and a firm grip on the ground. Such shoes, however, must not be constructed so as to give an athlete any unfair additional assistance, including by the incorporation of any technology which will give the wearer any unfair advantage. A shoe strap over the instep is permitted. All types of competition shoes must be approved by IAAF.

He is incorporating technology to get to the level of a 'normal' person. (He would have us believe.) The IAAF has got this wrong, I think, by not being strong enough to say no, probably presuming he would never get to a level where it would become more than just a curiosity (and great marketing for them!) Now they have a problem on their hands. And kinda have to side with the experts Pistorius has found to say "no advantage", or they will lose face. Not the first sporting federation to make poor decisions and not have the guts to face up to them. A certain Sysmex machine springs to mind.

I did read the data, honestly not all of it. They onlt tested things that are in his favour not the things against him. They do not mention things like him loosing time on the start and they don't take into consideration his conditions as an amputee, it is all purely mechanical data provided

Things that disadvantage athletes are rarely tested....

Doh.

Actually, the IAAF does take into consideration his conditions as an amputee. It is called the Paralympics.

Seriously?

He has brought technology and mechanical advantage into a space where equipment that will give an advantage is expressly banned...

Shoes

2. Athletes may compete barefoot or with footwear on one or both feet. The purpose of shoes for competition is to give protection and stability to the feet and a firm grip on the ground. Such shoes, however, must not be constructed so as to give an athlete any unfair additional assistance, including by the incorporation of any technology which will give the wearer any unfair advantage. A shoe strap over the instep is permitted. All types of competition shoes must be approved by IAAF.

He is incorporating technology to get to the level of a 'normal' person. (He would have us believe.) The IAAF has got this wrong, I think, by not being strong enough to say no, probably presuming he would never get to a level where it would become more than just a curiosity (and great marketing for them!) Now they have a problem on their hands. And kinda have to side with the experts Pistorius has found to say "no advantage", or they will lose face. Not the first sporting federation to make poor decisions and not have the guts to face up to them. A certain Sysmex machine springs to mind.

Thanks for the set of rules chap, that still does not PROVE that his blades are giving him an unfair advantage

Thanks for the set of rules chap, that still does not PROVE that his blades are giving him an unfair advantage

No, it doesn't, but while there is doubt he should not be allowed to use them in competition.

1) Because of not having lower limbs, his legs need a substantial amount less oxygen to function.

2) Some argue that there is a substantial less lactic acid buildup while running, so the "burn" factor is gone.

3) When running, the carbon blades take up the impact that otherwise would have to been taken up by a "normal" athletes feet, ankles, hips and lower back.

4) No lower legs means no strains, less injuries etc = more training.

5) The carbon legs weigh quite a bit less than real limbs, surely making it easier to swing them back for the next "step".

6) Personally, from my side: Height wise he is roughly as tall as other other sprinters. Not like Usain Bolt that is very tall with long legs making it possible for him to have a very long stride and a lower "leg speed" and still win. When Oscar runs you can see that his "leg speed" is lower than most of the other sprinters, yet he mostly keeps up with them. How is that possible? Longer "bounce" factor?

I didn't read the hole thread but is this the only "advantages" he supposedly get from the blades? Seems so negligible can't understand what the fuss is about. If that's what people see as an "unfair advantage" than what's the point of competing?

The Chinese are at the top of the medals table because they have scouts going around identifying talent and as soon as an athlete shows a hint of potential they get sent away where they are bred into world class athletes. They basically get no life outside of that code and see it as "complete focus" on sport. They can eat, sleep and live sport. Is that not an advantage?

Things that disadvantage athletes are rarely tested....

Doh.

Actually, the IAAF does take into consideration his conditions as an amputee. It is called the Paralympics.

Well Mr negativity if you want to do tests and eliminate him from the olympics test everything, not what you feel should be tested.

All types of competition shoes must be approved by IAAF.

Actually, that's quite interesting. Are the padded soles on the bottom of the blades considered shoes? If so, then this rule means he has to have his blades approved.

I did not know that shoes had to be approved.

Bolts shoes are unique. They are custom molded with additional support in the midsole due to his height and weight. I wonder if they are approved?

Quote of the day - "My mother used to tell us in the mornings, 'Carl put on your shoes, Oscar you put on your prosthetic legs, and that's the last I want to hear about it. So I grew up not really thinking I had a disability. I grew up thinking I had different shoes." - Oscar Pistorius

Yeah. What a quote.

:clap:

No, it doesn't, but while there is doubt he should not be allowed to use them in competition.

Well by the looks of how the world has reacted and accepted Oscar at the Olympics there is not much to doubt

Well Mr negativity if you want to do tests and eliminate him from the olympics test everything, not what you feel should be tested.

Oh for heaven's sake. Read before responding and take the time to understand.

Why would they be testing for stuff that disadvantages athletes, anywhere, in any sport?

Sigh.

Actually, that's quite interesting. Are the padded soles on the bottom of the blades considered shoes? If so, then this rule means he has to have his blades approved.

I did not know that shoes had to be approved.

Bolts shoes are unique. They are custom molded with additional support in the midsole due to his height and weight. I wonder if they are approved?

I see where you going with this Clint Wayne :thumbup:

Yeah. What a quote.

:clap:

Makes you think about how you complain about stupid things each day. Love this quote

Oh for heaven's sake. Read before responding and take the time to understand.

Why would they be testing for stuff that disadvantages athletes, anywhere, in any sport?

Sigh.

They do test athletes/sportsman for disadvantages. My point is if you want to test someone for their "unfair" advantage then you must take everything into consideration, especially in a situation like this.

I did read the data, honestly not all of it. They only tested things that are not in his favour not the things in his favour. They do not mention things like him loosing time on the start and they don't take into consideration his conditions as an amputee, it is all purely mechanical data provided

How can you even be arguing here? Seriously. How do you have any idea what was tested or concluded if you have not read all of the test sheets and data? You are allowing your emotions and patriotism to cloud your view of the real facts here. There is nothing wrong with being a proud South African here, but face the fact with a clear, informed stance before you head into a debate.