Oscar Pistorius

Azonic

There is no need for you to draw any conclusions. The authorities already did and gave him permission to run. As stated earlier, everyone else should just STFU and get on with it.

We won't discuss the disadvantage he has at the start of every race as a result of not being able to push of the start blocks with his feet and ankles.

I have every right to draw my own conclusions. As have you to buy his 'just treat me as normal' schpiel (again, my opinion). If that is possible without gaining an unfair advantage over people who have worked just as hard as he has to be at the Olympics, then wonderful. I don't see it that way. If SA medals in the relay, I hope the fourth-placed team sues the crap out of our federation and the international federation.

I believe Oscar's story is one of the most amazing triumphs of human spirit. BUT. Can we let that cloud judgement? If there is even doubt as to the advantage his prostheses give, then the benefit should be given to the able-bodied guys.

• Replies 335
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Wow, now you are questioning how hard he has worked. Seems you have far more bias on this subject than you accuse me of having.

So much for the spirit of the Olympics. It is long dead with some folks.

The IAAF decided to reinstate the team. Too late to sue if you come fourth.

Dude, you are bitter for some reason. Without searching this forum I'm going to make some assumptions about your general views towards this country, I'm assuming you are not filled with much love and pride.

I have my doubts about how fair it is for other athletes to have to run against Bolt. Clearly he is genetically superior in this regard. If there is any doubt about his advantage we should ban him. And yeah, you'll rightly argue that Oscar's "advantage" is man made... isn't Bolt's?

Edited by Clint_ZA

Wow, now you are questioning how hard he has worked. Seems you have far more bias on this subject than you accuse me of having.

So much for the spirit of the Olympics. It is long dead with some folks.

The IAAF decided to reinstate the team. Too late to sue if you come fourth.

Dude, you are bitter for some reason. Without searching this forum I'm going to make some assumptions about your general views towards this country, I'm assuming you are not filled with much love and pride.

I have my doubts about how fair it is for other athletes to have to run against Bolt. Clearly he is genetically superior in this regard. If there is any doubt about his advantage we should ban him. And yeah, you'll rightly argue that Oscar's "advantage" is man made... isn't Bolt's?

Where did i question how hard he has worked? I think I credited him with working just as hard as the rest of the guys at the Olympics. Read a bit slower. (With apologies, I have tried not to get personal with you here, but you have made it difficult.)

Search the forum, please. Have a look at the battles I have had with those numbnuts who diss this country from their new homes overseas. Amongst others. Making assumptions about my attitude towards my country is a nice diversion, I presume you have no other way of getting your point across.

Again, you are bringing emotion into an argument where we should look at pure science and fact. If you are happy to do that, be my guest. I reserve the right to be unhappy with the special treatment this athlete has received. I don't think it is right. No bitterness, just a sense of what is right, rather than what is fluffy and feel-good. I am sorry if that offends you, but sometimes what is right is not what is popular.

Again, you are bringing emotion into an argument where we should look at pure science and fact. If you are happy to do that, be my guest. I reserve the right to be unhappy with the special treatment this athlete has received. I don't think it is right. No bitterness, just a sense of what is right, rather than what is fluffy and feel-good. I am sorry if that offends you, but sometimes what is right is not what is popular.

You are bringing pure negativity into this discussion as you normally would. Yes science has proved some some things to benefit Oscar but they have not tested each and every single aspect of the use of blades so therefore testing is incomplete.

The fact that this country is in the mess that it is in, we should all stand together when it comes to our sport and sportsman. It is the one thing our country still has and it is the one thing that still brings unity amoungst us.

Edited by fabes

Don't know why i got involved in this spat again, i guess i do feel strong about Oscar being included. You just cannot resist when somebody comes flying in with comments like he hopes 4th place in the relay sues whoever if we come in the top 3.Really?

His carfeully-chosen scientist seem to think his prostheses don't give him an advantage. The impartial ones seem to think they do. Common sense says they do. As I said, remove the emotion.

I see only one "impartial" scientist, and he seems to have made it his mission to railroad Pistorius. The rest of them have better things to do.

And btw...where are the able-bodied athletes that are being disadvantaged by his inclusion?....Our only athlete that qualified for this distance is missing two legs. Those that beat him during the year in local meets...where are they? He ran the time and qualified, as per Olympic stipulation. He came second in his first heat. If I was an able-bodied athlete that got beaten by him I would consider flipping burgers, not cry and moan because he took my place.

Don't know why i got involved in this spat again, i guess i do feel strong about Oscar being included. You just cannot resist when somebody comes flying in with comments like he hopes 4th place in the relay sues whoever if we come in the top 3.Really?

Oscar's disability is in his legs....other people's are less visible... :ph34r:

How can you even write this? This is the biggest load of *** ever. Now genetics are to blame for an althete's performance. Seriously? Science has proven that Oscar's blades are advantageous (Weyland et al. even claim as much as 12 seconds). No-one is denying his spirit and triumph, but you cannot argue that he doesn't have an advantage over other athletes due to his blades.

How can you even write this? This is the biggest load of *** ever. Now genetics are to blame for an althete's performance. Seriously? Science has proven that Oscar's blades are advantageous (Weyland et al. even claim as much as 12 seconds). No-one is denying his spirit and triumph, but you cannot argue that he doesn't have an advantage over other athletes due to his blades.

Yeah i am not to sure where the Bolt argument came into it.

But they CLAIM this, it is not a proven FACT.

You are bringing pure negativity into this discussion as you normally would. Yes science has proved some some things to benefit Oscar but they have not tested each and every single aspect of the use of blades so therefore testing is incomplete.

The fact that this country is in the mess that it is in, we should all stand together when it comes to our sport and sportsman. It is the one thing our country still has and it is the one thing that still brings unity amoungst us.

If testing is incomplete, then he should not be allowed to compete outside his category until it is, surely?

If testing is incomplete, then he should not be allowed to compete outside his category until it is, surely?

According to 1 of the links posted here they have only tested a few aspects of the blades and they have not taken everything into consideration.

And surely if they cannot PROVE with FACTS that his blades are giving him an unfair advantage then why would they stop him from competing?

But they CLAIM this, it is not a proven FACT.

You're quite correct, it hasn't been peer reviewed, but come on. Have you read the data? It is quite moving.

Again, I'm not arguing that Pistorius shouldn't be there. I'm merely backing up others' statements that he has an advantage over able-bodied athletes because of his blades.

He ran the time and qualified, as per Olympic stipulation.

He actually didn't. SA Olympic qualifying requirements were 45.30s twice in 2012 in international competiton. He only ran <45.30s once in 2012 and never repeated it. But SASCOC ignored that and sent him to the Olympics anyway.

I think a lot can be blamed on genetics here... :ph34r:

haha I am still trying to link the 2.

Oscar's disability is in his legs....other people's are less visible... :ph34r:

And unfortunately no prosthesis for it either

You're quite correct, it hasn't been peer reviewed, but come on. Have you read the data? It is quite moving.

Again, I'm not arguing that Pistorius shouldn't be there. I'm merely backing up others' statements that he has an advantage over able-bodied athletes because of his blades.

He actually didn't. SA Olympic qualifying requirements were 45.30s twice in 2012 in international competiton. He only ran <45.30s once in 2012 and never repeated it. But SASCOC ignored that and sent him to the Olympics anyway.

I did read the data, honestly not all of it. They only tested things that are not in his favour not the things in his favour. They do not mention things like him loosing time on the start and they don't take into consideration his conditions as an amputee, it is all purely mechanical data provided Edited by fabes