Oscar Pistorius

Azonic

You can not be serious?

So what is cycling doing there then???

If you have played either of these sports competitively, you would understand the level of skill and fitness and training involved.

:thumbup:

Oh please. Beach volleyball!! Sure it's a fun passtime on a hot Summer's day, but don't fool yourself into thinking it is remotely close to the heritage of the Olympics (remember we are coming from gladiators and chariot races) and skill requirement of a gymnast. Maybe we should have beer pong next.

• Replies 335
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Don't get me started on synchronised swimming! If that's in the Olympics then so too should ballet!

Don't get me started on synchronised swimming! If that's in the Olympics then so too should ballet!

Any sport with chics in tight clothing should be an Olympic sport :thumbup:

Oh please. Beach volleyball!! Sure it's a fun passtime on a hot Summer's day, but don't fool yourself into thinking it is remotely close to the heritage of the Olympics (remember we are coming from gladiators and chariot races) and skill requirement of a gymnast. Maybe we should have beer pong next.

So what "skill" is there in running the 100m?

Yeah, the days when Olympics games was a bunch of fat guys watching a bunch of nude guys running and wrestling were much better.... pfffffffffffft

Personal Interest Eldron - one of the guys in my training squad is most probably THAT 400m guy who was left behind to make space to Oscar. He beat Oscar in 6 out of 7 track meets they did this year and yet Oscar is there and my guy aint. Not cool.

I dont think it was because he had to make space for Oscar, i just think it is SASCOC that enjoy screwing people around. I have a mate that qualified for the Olympics for Rowing and he was left out of the team.

If the Americans and Chinese are taking so many competitors to the Olympics why cant we take a bigger team over.

Unfortunately sport in SA has been spoilt by politics :thumbdown:

Edited by fabes

Yeah, the days when Olympics games was a bunch of fat guys watching a bunch of nude guys running and wrestling were much better.... pfffffffffffft

Th e days when Nishikis were still cool

Eldron re your mate - I think this is hard luck talk. Athletes were not limited to x per event or whatever, and Oscar went on legitimate basis as a member of the relay team and as such was allowed to compete in the individual heats. This decision was more than justified by the time he ran in the heats. What was your buddies best time this year?

Edited by dracs

And on the Olympics getting silly - I agree.

If 5 judges get to tell the rest of the world who the best is then it aint a sport - it's a hobby.

Thats why the 100m is the most popular event - no "artisitc interpretation" no "style" no co-ordination crapola just 8 people and 1 stopwatch - fastest man/woman wins.

Gymnastics, boxing - two essential events in the Olympics for me, both have judges.

And go easy on referring to yourself in the 3rd person, that way madness lies, Joe Low says :thumbup:

I dont think it was because he had to make space for Oscar, i just think it is SASCOC that enjoy screwing people around. I have a mate that qualified for the Olympics for Rowing and he was left out of the team.

If the Americans and Chinese are taking so many competitors to the Olympics why cant we take a bigger team over.

Unfortunately sport in SA has been spoilt by politics :thumbdown:

Because they qualified for x number of spots. All countries that send athletes can only do so as per the number slots they qualify for in each of the sporting disciplines.

A number of countries have had controversy with Olympic selection, with athletes who feel they've been overlooked.

Theres plenty rumbling in NZ, accusing the Ozzies of grabbing their glory by publishing the NZ results mixed with Aus, as 'Australisia or something to that effect.

This decision was more than justified by the time he ran in the heats. What was your buddies best time this year?

You still don't get it. Doesn't matter if he got the best time, on earth, ever. Whether the carbon legs are an advantage or a disadvantage - the playing field isn't level.

http://farm1.staticflickr.com/22/29506558_f5849df3c5.jpg

I rate I'll just rock up on these bad boys at the next Track 'n Field day and have a go at the high jump. Why can't I? No solid proof whether they are an advantage or disadvantage? Point is it doesn't matter.

Edited by Azonic

Guest Omega Man

Sorry that this is off topic.

Don't you think the IOC should have sports that are more "relevant"?

I'm not discounting the effort it takes to be good at shooting clay pidgeons but really now. Maybe it's time that the Olympics gets a shake up and some new school sports find there way in there. Like skateboarding for example. I'll wager their viewership would go up.

Edited by Omega Man

Sorry that this is off topic.

Don't you think the IOC should have sports that are more "relevant"?

I'm not discounting the effort it takes to be good at shooting clay pidgeons but really now. Maybe it's time that the Olympics gets a shake up and some new school sports find there way in there. Like skateboarding for example. I'll wager their viewership would go up.

And Downhill Racing!

You still don't get it. Doesn't matter if he got the best time, on earth, ever. Whether the carbon legs are an advantage or a disadvantage - the playing field isn't level.

2 different arguments - I'm not a scientist and I'm not arguing the science. What I know is there are 2 interpretations and yes there may well be a SMALL advantage.

I am addressing the point that someone / anyone is somehow worse off for him being there. This I do not buy. Yes, empiracally guy 25 in the heats missed out on a semi - but he would have gone no further anyway as he was well off Oscar's pace. As for the guy possibly left behind in SA I would like to know what time he ran to establish if his is a real hard luck story or not - AFAIK no real contenders who would have been on the plane anyway were left behind to make space for Oscar. He was always going to be on the relay team as one of our fastest elligible athletes..

Do you get it now?

Edited by dracs

Guest Omega Man

And Downhill Racing!

Ja but that needs to make it to the TV before we talk olympics. Haha.

Edited by Omega Man

So what "skill" is there in running the 100m?

A **** load more than running around in the sand chasing a beach volley ball. Maybe next they should have thumb wrestling? Or marbles ;p

My votes for some new 'updated' olympic sports:

MMA (forget judo, it's lame)

Downhill MTB (forget TT, it's old and velodromes are often filled with suspect people)

Skateboarding (one of the most culturally influential sports of its time)