Selecting the right "tools for the job" - what type of bike should I buy?

If only there was someone like Enticement to tell me to make sure that my bike was fitted with a Gruber Assist

Ha Ha - that's helping you into the ditch!

• Replies 149
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

How many bottles of snake oil books have you sold?

Do you want a signed copy, although its only for those that can read? :D

The test fleet is something that is lacking in the major cities accross SA unfortunately. In africa, you need to be a brave man to lend a R30k AM bike to somebody for the day/weekend. Firstly because it probably won't come back and secondly, if it does come back you are going to spend more fixing it than you rented it out for!

Fine line with hiring costs too. I would pay R500 to hire a bike for the weekend to test and if I decided to buy, a R500 discount would be a nice gesture. I know that there are demo bikes available at some LBS but they don't just lend them to anybody. (A spin around the parking lot doesn't really tell you much about a bike regardless of costs or wheelsize...)

Yet it costs you R200 to hire a small car/ day, which can cost three times as much. Bike hireing rates are redicuosly expensive. R350 to rent a Santa Cruz for the day at Holla, they are haveing a bloody laugh.

Yet it costs you R200 to hire a small car/ day, which can cost three times as much. Bike hireing rates are redicuosly expensive. R350 to rent a Santa Cruz for the day at Holla, they are haveing a bloody laugh.

Agreed. That R500 is for the weekend though... R250 per day you are going to put it through it's paces to see how it handles which would result in wear and tear. Look at the cost of bike tyres and brake pads vs car tyres and brake pads and how much mileage you get from each. I won't hire a bike with worn knobblies... Besides, I am trying to sell you the bike....

Bike shops should have a list that you can put your name down for a test ride. One of the staff should be able to take you on a pre determined test route ride that would test the capabilities of the bike . That could eliminate the hire costs...

Agreed. That R500 is for the weekend though... R250 per day you are going to put it through it's paces to see how it handles which would result in wear and tear. Look at the cost of bike tyres and brake pads vs car tyres and brake pads and how much mileage you get from each. I won't hire a bike with worn knobblies... Besides, I am trying to sell you the bike....

Bike shops should have a list that you can put your name down for a test ride. One of the staff should be able to take you on a pre determined test route ride that would test the capabilities of the bike . That could eliminate the hire costs...

Surely they have insurance on these bikes?

Surely they have insurance on these bikes?

If I was the one doing the lending, I would have some form of cover.

Buying a new bike is always a challenge because you're never sure which one will work for you. Even if you test a bike it can be challenging because a well set-up entry level bike could give a better ride than a poorly set-up top-of-the-range bike. Best way is to determine exactly what you want to do with the bike and what your riding style is. See https://www.bikehub.co.za/classifieds/35121-buying-the-right-mountain-bike-where-to-start/

Buying a new bike is always a challenge because you're never sure which one will work for you. Even if you test a bike it can be challenging because a well set-up entry level bike could give a better ride than a poorly set-up top-of-the-range bike. Best way is to determine exactly what you want to do with the bike and what your riding style is. See http://www.thehubsa....where-to-start/

How is business Enticement?

FFS will you guys give it a rest? Here's a guy, doing his best to do business, giving great advice and doing good things, but every time he's on here some dick has to rag him. Grow up.

How is business Enticement?

Enjoying every moment of it and really busy. How are you doing - by implication, what value can you add?

Enjoying every moment of it and really busy. How are you doing - by implication, what value can you add?

I did, the 2nd post of the thread :thumbup: I see value in the service you are offering, personally I would not use it, but good luck to you, this is why I was just asking how business is. Edited by Caerus

Advice to guide your investment in the right bike is founded on what these advisers know. And you trust them because they should be the experts - they (most of them) are experts on the technology they offer, but do they know your exact needs? Most often even you will find it difficult to distinguish between your own "needs" and "wants", and it is usually the latter that challenge your budgetary constraints!

Advice to guide your investment in the right bike is founded on what these advisers know. And you trust them because they should be the experts - they (most of them) are experts on the technology they offer, but do they know your exact needs? Most often even you will find it difficult to distinguish between your own "needs" and "wants", and it is usually the latter that challenge your budgetary constraints!

Have you considered offering your services to the retail sector (Bike shops etc). Although most times you see a pic of a pretty bike & go ooh I want that, I find that the largest knowledge & expertise should come from the people selling us the products we want.

I don't wanna name names or anything but there's a group of shops with a "Ca" & a "Jees" somewhere that could definitaly benefit from some propper

staff training...or so I read...somewhere...once :whistling:

Have you considered offering your services to the retail sector (Bike shops etc). Although most times you see a pic of a pretty bike & go ooh I want that, I find that the largest knowledge & expertise should come from the people selling us the products we want.

I don't wanna name names or anything but there's a group of shops with a "Ca" & a "Jees" somewhere that could definitaly benefit from some propper

staff training...or so I read...somewhere...once :whistling:

We have been approached and we're considering it, However, we're cautious not to be linked to a certain brand and offer advice without brand prejudice.