My old (stolen) bikes on gumtree - what to do

Brawler

I have buddies at Rondebosch. If you want I could speak to them. Pm me. Otherwise all the best and hope you get your bike back and some justice

• Replies 37
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I'd don't think I have the serial number :/ There is a serialish number on the invoice but I dont think it is the bikes serial number.

I emailed the guy and he replied to say does NOT have proof of payment. Who buys a decent bicycle without POP? I now have his details and I checked him out on FB to be a decent kid (hopefully, you never know) but he does not seem like the guy to break in through three levels of security to steal a bike. What applies in this case? He bought stolen goods with no POP. School fees for him?

According to the add he doesn't want it any more so I will try get it back.. the bugger probably got the bike for a fraction of what its worth.

I am going to the cops tomorrow.

Hi.

The detective on my case was only available today.. He was semi-interested and said he is willing to assist but said I should approach the perp first to find out more details / arrange a viewing and then I can call him (police) to assist.

I tried to call the perp today and phone is off.. Emailed him and all of a sudden his phone is in for repairs and can't take calls :whistling:

The more I deal with the person (via email) the more sure I am it is mine and that he just pulled some random kids details of Facebook or something and created a fake email in their name.

I have buddies at Rondebosch. If you want I could speak to them. Pm me. Otherwise all the best and hope you get your bike back and some justice

I might need to call in this favour, thanks.

Hi.

The detective on my case was only available today.. He was semi-interested and said he is willing to assist but said I should approach the perp first to find out more details / arrange a viewing and then I can call him (police) to assist.

I tried to call the perp today and phone is off.. Emailed him and all of a sudden his phone is in for repairs and can't take calls :whistling:

The more I deal with the person (via email) the more sure I am it is mine and that he just pulled some random kids details of Facebook or something and created a fake email in their name.

Like I said, I think he's on the Hub reading this right now.

No doubt, the investigating officer will have something to work with.Just to be certain, I would give the guy a call, as an interested customer, find out how old is the bike, how much he is paying for insurance, if not insured, ask him if he has an original invoice as you wish to have it insured...from this discussion you can tell if he bought the bike from a thief, of if he is a thief himself.
sherlock holmes :whistling:

You should have said nothing and gone to look at the bike.

If it was yours, you should have taken a test ride and just kept going to the cop shop, or home if you were feeling less civil minded.

I have the guys name and telephone number (Rica?)

Whats my next move?

The Rica thing is all a bunch of crap.My previous gardener did not even have a ID book and he manage to get a sim without any problems

I might need to call in this favour, thanks.

Sure thing. Not detectives but are police at the station. My thinking is the more support you can get the better.

Warrant Officer Lekay is apparently the best detective at Rondebosch. Spoke to my mate who was a reservist there.

Good luck and hope you catch the bugger.

Got hold of him.

He got the bike from Bridge Cycles a month after it was stolen.

Going to the Police again in the morning.

Edited by Brawler