ZTR Rims vs Body Weight

Troskie C

I prefer not to use "strong" in the context of wheels. It has strange connotations.

Straight-gauge spokes are strong enough but not durable enough. Double butted spokes are not as strong as straight gauge, but strong enough. They are infinitely more durable though and therefore you always build a quality wheel with double-butted.

I have explained the concept of strength and durability in the context of wheels here often enough and a search should produce the results.

got you thanks

• Replies 36
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Guys thank you very much for all your input. The last thing i'm worried about at this stage is weight on my bike. I have very strong legs with calves the size of rugby balls. I need a Hardy Rim. The bike came out with these and i got the bike at a very good price so i did'nt ask to many questions. These wheels have leterally done only 17km, should i appraoch my seller and see if he wont swop them? I want to hit the mountains on Thursday and there will be rocks and plenty of it. Really dont feel like walking back home... Thanks again all! Appreciate it!

Hi FC. I weigh just over 90 and I did not even bother with the Crest's on my 29er. If I want to save weight I'll cut down on the beer and red meat. Not going to happen so I settled for the Flow's. Tough as nails. At 115kg's I would not even worry about the couple of extra grammes saved the Crest's would offer you. At my weight I would not settle for the Crests - specially in 29er guise. If you are looking at 26" wheels, rather go for the 355's if you are a bit concerned about weight. Strong wheels but not as heavy as the Flow's and will survive anything a xc race will throw at you. I have them on my 26er and am very happy with them. If you are not keen on the ZTR's, have a look at the Shimano XT or SLX wheels. Replacement spokes on the Shimano's can be expensive and difficult to find. Good luck!

ZTR Arch or FLOWS?

ZTR crests are rated at 90kgs on the stans site so anything over that no warranty and you r taking a chance. yes we all ride them over that limit me too Im 96 kgs used crests on both my 26 and 29er for 3 years now and swear by them but I have also seen a 65kg racing snake trash one on a simple rock garden, your lbs should be prepared to swop them out for a more weight suitable set of rims there is always a demand for crests so they shouldnt have any problems with your request.

enjoy your riding

Sun Ringle STR8 Wheelset

From2684.27 ZAR

RRP 6239.84 ZAR Save 57%

A friend of mine got these and he's almost 125kgs,Rugbyboy from ermelo & hes not scared to jump.Not super light,but seems as bombproof as a set of MTX 33.

I was even considering a set ,if only they had colour choices :thumbup:

http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/Images/Models/Full/20187.jpg

Edited by 2Nutz