Schwalbe Racing Ralph's - tubeless?

martinsnyman

Thanks guys - seems like I will be asking for proper tubeless tyres for my birthday! Will wear the Ralph's out with tubes till then!

nothing wrong with using thse thin tyres with tubes till they are done.

with any tubeless system you should carry a spare tube with you.

Maxxis are a much harder rubber, thus last much longer, but dont grip quite the same (been there, tried it)

When they are good and worn get the snakeskin versions. good tires.

check this out for comparative tire weights accross manufacturers - https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/ccc?key=0ApcNMgTrSzkTcmpCbmF5Y0Q0cmd6VGdTN0JsUWotQnc&hl=en#gid=0

Hope you carry a tube Karma. If it's not the snakeskin you will end up with sidewall cuts.

It depends on your riding skills, I have Evo's on very rocky terrein and never had a cut.

Tyres grip differently depending on the model, not the brand. Maxxis Crossmarks does not have good sideways grip, but I found that the Ikon has a more consistant grip when leaning over than a Ralph. Then there is the Maxxis Aspen with zero rolling resistance but very good grip for such a low knobby tyre. I like the Ralphs because they roll very fast, but I don`t like them because it seems their grip deteriorates from day one. So Ikons for me for everyday use, and on my race wheels I got some Ritchey WCS Shields.

Tyres grip differently depending on the model, not the brand. Maxxis Crossmarks does not have good sideways grip, but I found that the Ikon has a more consistant grip when leaning over than a Ralph. Then there is the Maxxis Aspen with zero rolling resistance but very good grip for such a low knobby tyre. I like the Ralphs because they roll very fast, but I don`t like them because it seems their grip deteriorates from day one. So Ikons for me for everyday use, and on my race wheels I got some Ritchey WCS Shields.

Don't suppose that the Ikons come in 26"?

Any idea if Custom DT Swiss 445D can be converted to tubeless?

Edited by gwhite

Hi Guys,

I have Schwalbe racing ralphs - the performance line on my bike with alex rims, will I be able to do a tubeless conversion on these?

Thanks

I converted mine, no problems yet!! Running them tubless just short of twelve months. You must be careful, very light weight, thin side walls. Did Berg & Bush with them last year, no problems.

ok - so my daughter got me the tubeless conversion for my bday, will be getting the bike back on saturday - cant wait to go ride!!!!!!!!!!

I also had the Racing Ralph's Evo had two side walls on two tires, one cost me a race. I I cHanged to snake skin seems better.

I think some Evo have a real side wall issues.

I also had the Racing Ralph's Evo had two side walls on two tires, one cost me a race. I I cHanged to snake skin seems better.

I think some Evo have a real side wall issues.

So, the conversion has been done, did a bit of riding, nothing serious yet- will ride Modderfontein on Saturday and Groenkloof on Sunday. I have a tubeless puncture kit and a tube filled with slime in my saddle bag.

My dad used the thin Rons as tubeless. Lasted 2 months on the one tire before it got a big cut so he replaced it.

The Ralphs are soft rubber. I have the snakeskins. It has sorted the sidewalls for sure but the tread area looks like swiss cheese from thorns and cuts, although i will admit the tire has not gone down. A duel sus may be a bit more gentle on the rear tire than a HT bike. Great tires but not if you want something that lasts a while.

What about the rocket ron? Has a more pronounced knob so not ideal for tar but takes a bit longer to wear down.

Used to use ralph's and then swopped to the rocket ron (both were the standard tubeless ready not snake skin version) and found the rons grip better and I dont think there is much weight diffs (Rons are a few grams lighter think?)

Soooooo, had my first two rides with the tubeless Ralph's and had as many blow outs! One on Saurday and one on Sunday.

Saturday, turned a sharp right hand corner, maybe too much weight on the front wheel - blow out.

Sunday - going down the small downhill, river crossing at Groenkloof, too slow - too much weigh on the front wheel - blow out!

Is all of this a lack of riding skill, or do tubeless tyres need a while to settle???

I bombed the tyre on both occasions, do I need to add all new sealant, or just top - up?

Please help!!!

Thank you