Looking for some comment,

Thinking about a price range of R5K

Makes:

Easton

DT

ZTR

What about Shimano?

Who has what, experience.

or should I rather look at rims from X, Hub from Y, spokes from Z ?

G

It's more about experience, value for money and quality

The plan is to look at a medium project 27.5

G

Now that we know what size wheelset you are looking at, can the Hub experts start to give you advice.(not me though, I'm not an expert on anything :whistling: )

buycycle currently has a decent "special" on their custom build 650b sets.. hope hubs and stans rims - always good value for money

ok will have a look, can give me idea of costs and what you get/expect to pay,

but if we were to ignore the size, and you looked at the brands, and said in the same price category/band, how do they differ in what you get?

G

buycycle currently has a decent "special" on their custom build 650b sets.. hope hubs and stans rims - always good value for money

+1 - good suggestion

This is the way I would go, Build with Dt Rev spokes and red nipples.... :devil:

Didn't know the made anything else except Easton Haven....

You forget to ask about colour scheme, its been said that black rims are for poor peoples....

guess i'm then to be a poor person, because i like the look of black and red.

Black frame, with little bits of red every here and there, or maybe a black and dark/royal blue

G

stupid question, when they say 28 hole or 32 hole, i'm guessing thats the number of spokes? more spokes, heavier complete set, but capable of carrying heavier person or absorbing rougher rides?

I'm 68kg's don't plan to change much, is it safe with a 28 hole?

G

ok, so we had some distraction here, this ZTR offer from buycycle looks good, but still back to my original question.

in the same price band, how does there vendors compare against each other.

G

I have ridden on factory wheels before - in general they are nice, but somehow had the tendancy to break them after less than a years riding. On custom built wheels I have had no problems - can be a bit more expensive but worth the bucks, mine is running true after more than two years of hard riding - no truing/service required and still makes me smile to see them on the bike.

Bought a pair of shimanos and they were ok, but bit disappointing in stiffness, wheight etc, friends also compalined about wheight and hub service etc

If you have bucks, maybe a set of enve wheels.

So that is then very close to what buycycle is doing on their special.

G

For that price I would get Hope Hub with your rims of choice.