Cycling with glasses

Giant

Hi Guys,

Looking for some help here, my wife has been cycling for a couple of months, with contact lenses and glasses.

She can now no longer wear contacts, so we are looking at plan B.

What are the experiences of Hubbers out there?

How easy is it to get prescription sports glasses?

Thinking that getting yellow lenses may be best as they will work in most light conditions, is this the sensible?

Which models/brands convert well?

Thanks

Bruce

• Replies 36
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I have been riding with normal glasses on for the past three years. Never had an issue.

My eyes are rather sensitive so I have got UV protection and Anti-Glare in the glasses.

Ive mentioned this before, but I think its worth saying again as I struggled to find the right info when I was looking.

I went to a reputable optometrist and Oakley dealer, had my eyes tested, selected a frame type, and they had lenses made for me by Oakley in Ireland.

I picked them up about 3 weeks later and they rock.

Discovery Health also paid for the vast majority of the cost.

Personally I only like to cycle with either clear lenses, VR28, or Persimmon - and non-polarised as I found that it actually reduces the effect that I want in those lenses which is better contrast and the appearance of making things "pop".

Definitely the Rudy Project photochromic lenses.

I bought mine and had them done by my optometrist. Bonus is that replacement lenses are quite cheap, so when your prescription changes, you just go buy new lenses and get them done again.

I ride early mornings during winter, so the photochromic lenses are the best option, no need to keep changing them out. They're also strong, I've sat on mine a few times and to be honest, I'm not as light as I should be given the amount of exercise I do. They haven't broken yet!

I have a pair of cycling glasses with the Prescription insert. They do make a major difference. You will notice after even your 1st ride.

Its pretty simple...... Depends on your budget really.

• If your budget is R3000 and above you can go for the Rudy Project, or Adidas Evil Eye/Half Rim (RX insert)
  • If you budget is closer to R1500 You can go for a pair of 720 Armour (RX Insert)
  • If your budget is R500-R650 then try Ocean Eyeware with the RX insert.

PS. I have the 720 Armour.

I have a pair of cycling glasses with the Prescription insert. They do make a major difference. You will notice after even your 1st ride. Its pretty simple...... Depends on your budget really.
  • If your budget is R3000 and above you can go for the Rudy Project, or Adidas Evil Eye/Half Rim (RX insert)
  • If you budget is closer to R1500 You can go for a pair of 720 Armour (RX Insert)
  • If your budget is R500-R650 then try Ocean Eyeware with the RX insert.

PS. I have the 720 Armour.

I don't know if this is a stupid question... what does the RX insert look like? Is it like the adidas insert? cos I don't like that one.

Definitely the Rudy Project photochromic lenses. I bought mine and had them done by my optometrist. Bonus is that replacement lenses are quite cheap, so when your prescription changes, you just go buy new lenses and get them done again. I ride early mornings during winter, so the photochromic lenses are the best option, no need to keep changing them out. They're also strong, I've sat on mine a few times and to be honest, I'm not as light as I should be given the amount of exercise I do. They haven't broken yet!

If you don't mind me asking, How much did it come to with photo-chromatic lenses with prescription?

I don't know if this is a stupid question... what does the RX insert look like? Is it like the adidas insert? cos I don't like that one.

The Adidas one has a thin rim, and a roundish shape. The others, like 720 Armour, have a shape that follows the shape of the actual sunglasses. Do some research. I think the 720 Armour is the most value for money. The Ocean eyeware is not bad too. I think my nextr purchase will be the evil eye half rim, with the insert you don't like........ lol

What don't you like about the Adidas insert?

I despair when I read responses to requests for advice and someone takes a dogmatic stand and dismisses all alternatives except the one he proposed.

Here however I am going to do just that.

I have struggled with most alternatives (although not all brands) but feel I have finally found a solution that is so far ahead of the others that I must say that you will waste your money if you don’t go with it.

Get your optometrist to send your prescription to Oakley and let them make you a pair of lenses with your prescription in. This is an infinitely better solution than the inserts and for the first time ever I have proper vision on the bike.

As pointed out above, you could get medical aid to pay some of it. I couldn’t, but it was still worth my while.

I despair when I read responses to requests for advice and someone takes a dogmatic stand and dismisses all alternatives except the one he proposed.

Here however I am going to do just that.

I have struggled with most alternatives (although not all brands) but feel I have finally found a solution that is so far ahead of the others that I must say that you will waste your money if you don’t go with it.

Get your optometrist to send your prescription to Oakley and let them make you a pair of lenses with your prescription in. This is an infinitely better solution than the inserts and for the first time ever I have proper vision on the bike.

As pointed out above, you could get medical aid to pay some of it. I couldn’t, but it was still worth my while.

Yes I have to agree, I have had the Oakley ones made they are far superior. The adidas lenses are tinted, I found this out when I was caught in the rain. The tint started to bubble.