Bela Bela 5150

Garfield2010

Just done the questionaire/survey about Bela Bela.

Big ups on organisation and run course.

Big downs on swim course, bike safety, waiting and hot bottles in transition.

Suggested that if temps are so hot, they should have a special needs for bottles only as you exit T1.

• Replies 188
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Just done the questionaire/survey about Bela Bela. Big ups on organisation and run course. Big downs on swim course, bike safety, waiting and hot bottles in transition. Suggested that if temps are so hot, they should have a special needs for bottles only as you exit T1.

Good suggestion Dave. Or they must put cooler boxes at the end of every isle so that competitors can store their well marked bottles in these.....

Surely to deal with drafting, they can install "random" timing mats and look at the time that you take to cross the mats. If there is a sub 3 second split, it's a 2 minute time penalty per infraction (can also be applied at the final water point / penalty tent). Those timing mats (even in the very high end races) look pretty low cost, so I can't see why they can't make use of more of them to sort out the drafting.

I'm also all in favour of time trial swim starts. This was how it was done in an Ironman race I did recently and it was pretty damn awesome. It was 3.8km of pure swimming and 0 seconds of wrestling and close combat underwater.

I think the following should apply:-1

1.) Get the refs silent pasola's. Most competitors listen out for the Harley and then everyione scatters.

2.) Tell the ref to ride at 40km/hour. This way he will be able to spot and look at suspicious behaviour for 30 seconds + before making a call.

I really get the feeling that if that oke comes at 100km/hour he has to make a call within seconds from 100 metres away..... so for instance should a oke plan on passing but then decide against it last minute due to oncoming traffic for example and breaks behing another oke then for about 5 seconds it WILL look like he is drafting.

I just think the refs should monitor you over a period of time.

PS:- They came back, my card was for "blocking". Not sure how the 3 min penalty fits in here..

Hey Grips

Timing mats wont work otherwise you could not overtake at a mat. Refereeing needs people. Good experienced people.

How was NY?

Time trial starts might be an option at Bela Bela.

Are you riding tomorrow with Garf?

Sorry man, not joining for rides - on a bit of a break sorting out some health issues.

NY was pretty cool, but overall it was disappointing. Swim was awesome but the bike was boring as hell and the run was the toughest marathon I have done. Crazy amount of hills. Not fun. Also not really in New York, the last 7km are in Manhattan but loops inside a park so not in the city part at all really. Quite rough for the cost. I won't be doing it again. All in all a great experience, but mostly due to the holiday before and after - also good to see how they do things that side and how good our race in PE really is!

• 8 months later...

Gonna be there this year, do you guys think we will have the same numbers as last year with the new 5150 now in joburg?

• 1 month later...

I have entered the 5150 at Bela Bela in August to motivate me to get out of my winter slump. Any suggestions for decent (in terms of price and facilities) accommodation for that weekend?

I have entered the 5150 at Bela Bela in August to motivate me to get out of my winter slump. Any suggestions for decent (in terms of price and facilities) accommodation for that weekend?

We staying in the Warmbaths resort, quite expensive though....

Having read this year's athletes guide, they have made no changes to address the issues that really detracted from this event last year. Such a pity. Credit card is staying firmly in the pocket on this one.

I'm skipping this one and I'll do the one in JHB instead.

Main reason for skipping is I've read a couple posts about swimming in 1m of water. Dont know why but it really put me off.

Cant wait for race season...come on already!

What I would like to know, is why they don't use Bela-Bela dam as the base for the race. They already close the road going past it. Sure, there are less facilities at the dam than at the Forever resort, but is would definitely give a way better atmosphere to the race and make it more attractive. You set up the bike course back into town along the way it is now, and the run towards the west of the dam along the same road.

Does spectator value in town really weigh so much that you include such a stupid swim in your race?

• 4 weeks later...

This is my first 5150 and suddenly I'm like super nervous

Not that bad, just enjoy it.

Just be prepared for some climbing on the bike, but run is flat and swim relatively easy (you can stand if must)

That's wrong in so many ways, I cannot even count!

Yip I agree!!! It is very irritating if you strong swimmer (swimming my strongest leg), but for guys doing their first tri it gives comfort......

Just mentioned it, sorry :ph34r:

Going to be my first tri longer than sprint. Nervous is an understatement. Wave 3 seems to be HUGE. Guess I'll just doggy-paddle along at the back. :)

I've got a tri-suit, no wetsuit. Hope that won't be a problem.

Gonna be fun. ;)