Parasite cyclists

Tubeless

How do you know they didn't use the honesty box?

I ride at Meerendal and I am not a member of Tygerberg mtb club, but always use the honesty box if there is no one at wine sales to pay.

Just curious how you can tell wether someone with no bike board has payed or not?

Don't get me wrong, I am 100% behind policing the trails and paying up because you guys do a great job with those trails. Just wondering if there is no solution to provide proof of payment without being a member? Maybe a receipt from the restaurant?

• Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I ride at Meerendal and I am not a member of Tygerberg mtb club, but always use the honesty box if there is no one at wine sales to pay.

Just curious how you can tell wether someone with no bike board has payed or not?

Don't get me wrong, I am 100% behind policing the trails and paying up because you guys do a great job with those trails. Just wondering if there is no solution to provide proof of payment without being a member? Maybe a receipt from the restaurant?

I'm just as curious as i too put money in the honesty box by the door. So what makes me sure I have not come past you before and u thought I have not paid?

Yea that is quite a good way of putting it, maybe the honest box must give like a sticker or something or fetch it at the restaurant...like bottelary trails use a armband type system, give the wristband and write the date on so people cant use it again

I put R60 in the box the other day for me and my son and still rode around feeling guilty that everyone thought we didn't pay

When the restaurant is busy they certainly aren't in the mood to give receipts

The best way to monitor the trails is to only allow non-members to use the trails during day-time (8am to 5pm) and to issue visitor bike boards (like they use at Schaapenberg and Thandi trails). This way it is very easy to spot non-members. I know some will whine that they want to ride earlier etc. At Schaapenberg and Thandi you simply have to wait until the trail office opens. Its another incentive to join or you can pay for your board a day in advance. It does mean that the club will have to man a bike board office at all the trail entry points (Hillcrest, Meerendal, Nitida, Hoogekraal, Contermanskloof) and will probably have to pay someone to sit there all day.

Once you have everyone riding with bike boards, it makes it easy for members to report trespassing to club officials and land owners who can then deal with the matter accordingly.

I'm not sure that when you calculate the cost of 5 people manning a bike board station each would be justified financially, but at least there would be 5 less unemployed people out there and you would encourage regular riders to join the club by having a visible presence.

Not a good assumption. Read the SANRAL tollgate thread.

Good call. Start eTolling on MTB trails.

Have 'em on the tarmac too..

Called wheelsuckers.

:-)

My view on wheel suckers is that if you are so p'd off about some-one sucking your wheel, why not drop them? If he can stick on your wheel kudos to him and you get a good interval workout (and you also obviously not the pro you thought you were). It is different if he/they are interfering with your ride. just my thought.

Im a dirt sucker, I go to Magic Forest, I aint a Tygerberg member yet.....however I must admit, I havnt been there in a while and went today and see you guys fixed the trails nicely, well I assume it was you, and for that reason I will get me a membership as I want to ride the other trails as well as I used to pay the day fee...imagine we need to start paying to use the road, I assume my TAX money includes that already?

Yes the club has done a bit of work in Majik and more will be done but the bulk of work has been done on our pay-to-ride trails. We've built a new trail for club members only at hoogekraal and if there's sufficient interest, we can arrange for a hubbers day there.

Money generated from annual and day permit sales is spent on securing land access and building and maintaining trails and recently money obtained from day permits in conjunction with land owners was used for purchasing raincoats and suitcases for farm school children, planting of fynbos and installing solar geysers for meerendal farm workers.

When I bought my MTB I didn't even know you had to pay for most of these tracks - I hear you even have to pay on Table Mountain? There's just not enough information out there ... bike shops could tell people these things.

The best way to monitor the trails is to only allow non-members to use the trails during day-time (8am to 5pm) and to issue visitor bike boards (like they use at Schaapenberg and Thandi trails). This way it is very easy to spot non-members. I know some will whine that they want to ride earlier etc. At Schaapenberg and Thandi you simply have to wait until the trail office opens. Its another incentive to join or you can pay for your board a day in advance. It does mean that the club will have to man a bike board office at all the trail entry points (Hillcrest, Meerendal, Nitida, Hoogekraal, Contermanskloof) and will probably have to pay someone to sit there all day.

Once you have everyone riding with bike boards, it makes it easy for members to report trespassing to club officials and land owners who can then deal with the matter accordingly.

I'm not sure that when you calculate the cost of 5 people manning a bike board station each would be justified financially, but at least there would be 5 less unemployed people out there and you would encourage regular riders to join the club by having a visible presence.

Le Turbo - Meerendal, contermanskloof, hillcrest and kliprug trails can be ridden with day permits while Hoogekraal and the meerendal green corridor are member only trails (requested by land owners). Signage was replaced in the last month but sadly somebody has been removing and damaging some of these signs already.

We issue bike boards to members which is interesting in itself - 95% use it but some complain about the aerodynamics (not sure how much a 15x8cm board can slow you down) as well as cluttering of the bars. note - boards will be smaller next year.

Our trails are too extensive to police properly and the more we police, the more people jump fences and use other areas to access (currently 6 official entrances to our trails). An sms day permit system (send an sms at a cost of R30 and receive an sms proof of payment in return) is pending and this will also make payment and policing easier.

Yes the club has done a bit of work in Majik and more will be done but the bulk of work has been done on our pay-to-ride trails. We've built a new trail for club members only at hoogekraal and if there's sufficient interest, we can arrange for a hubbers day there.

Money generated from annual and day permit sales is spent on securing land access and building and maintaining trails and recently money obtained from day permits in conjunction with land owners was used for purchasing raincoats and suitcases for farm school children, planting of fynbos and installing solar geysers for meerendal farm workers.

Congratulations to Tygerberg MTB.

For all your efforts to promote the code and do some extra for the broader community and the flora.

:thumbup:

I realy like the pay by sms idea!

More often than not I do not carry cash on me, so a cash less system sounds great.

Yea that is quite a good way of putting it, maybe the honest box must give like a sticker or something or fetch it at the restaurant...like bottelary trails use a armband type system, give the wristband and write the date on so people cant use it again

I'm not honest, but I am a box. ;-)

An sms day permit system (send an sms at a cost of R30 and receive an sms proof of payment in return) is pending

I think this is a brilliant idea. I have on occasion put money into the Hillcrest box before riding without any proof to show if someone asked me for it. I never felt bad about it and nobody ever stopped me to check, but it would be nice to have an SMS as proof of payment. It would also make the early birds like myself happy.