IM70.3 SA 2013

Blindspot

Who of you hubbers have entered or are still pondering about it, what are your goals, will it be your first 70.3 event and how is the training going?

I have entered, but a year ago I was in much better shape than now. My official training program starts on the 1st of October 2012. This year I finished just under 6h8m, so my goal is to go under 6 hours next year.

Any tips on training, nutrition etc are also welcome.

Good luck and enjoy!

• Replies 496
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I entered months ago - will be my first and no goal just yet aside from finishing.

Training wise I have a loooong way to go on the swimming and running.... been dabling in both but right now just trying to get the cycling fitness back to where it needs to be - fitting in 2 extra disciplines in the week is proving tough. Will need to get more disciplind and strucutred about it as we get closer I think...

Looking forward to it though!

I have done all the 70.3 since the start but will not do this one. Last year I got a red card which in my opinion was very unfair yet I was ignored afterwards whilst trying to get clarity in a civil manner. Whilst the 5150 have gone some way to restoring my belief in IM events the 70.3 in my opinion is getting too crowded. Everyone drafts and it is allowed. Only a matter of time before someone gets hurt.

Will be my 4th one. Wanted to start easing back into training but last weekend i screwed my knee up during a rugby match so i will have to get the all clear from the Doc before i can get going again.

Starting with our weekly swim at Hobie beach (IM swim Start) today :)

At this stage i have no goals for the race

I have done all the 70.3 since the start but will not do this one. Last year I got a red card which in my opinion was very unfair yet I was ignored afterwards whilst trying to get clarity in a civil manner. Whilst the 5150 have gone some way to restoring my belief in IM events the 70.3 in my opinion is getting too crowded. Everyone drafts and it is allowed. Only a matter of time before someone gets hurt.

Garf was that a red card as in a DQ?

I am going. Not entered yet but definitely will be there.

Love the vibe from the the week before until you get on the plane to go home.

Good luck to everyone starting training for their first one.

Garf was that a red card as in a DQ?

Yes but lets not go into that again as it will not help. All I can say is that the rules intrerpertaion depends on the ref and the decision he makes in an instance. Consistency is a major problem in my opinion.

Yes but lets not go into that again as it will not help. All I can say is that the rules intrerpertaion depends on the ref and the decision he makes in an instance. Consistency is a major problem in my opinion.

Sorry to hear about that, i never knew. If they want to make the event so big they need to put more officials on the cycle coarse.

The drafting this year was ridiculous. The officials passed me only three times on the bike course, but drafting groups of 10 to 20 passed in numbers. I think they will show the cards much more next year as there were many complaints about this.

I'm in for my second one! Entered and ready to think about starting to train!

Did about 6.11 at the last one if I remember correctly and loved it so hoping to get that down closer to 5.30 this year (lost about 20 mins in the run with knee problems and took the cycle very easy as it was my first one and I had no idea what to expect).

Sorry to hear about that, i never knew. If they want to make the event so big they need to put more officials on the cycle coarse.

The problem is that when the wind is from the front and you have 3,000 athletes on the route it is impossible not to draft.

And if 200 guys draft in one bunch what can they really do? Just watch last years 70.3 DVD. It looks like the Argus!!

But it is fun none the less!!

The drafting this year was ridiculous. The officials passed me only three times on the bike course, but drafting groups of 10 to 20 passed in numbers. I think they will show the cards much more next year as there were many complaints about this.

I had bunches of closer to 100 riders coming past me in the cycle with the marshals riding next to them... Think they just gave up on doing anything about it. It did spoil the spirit of the race quite a bit for me, but at the end of the day I was racing against myself so just plodded along on the side of the road and let them go.

The 70.3 is currently the big race I am aiming for but I did the calculations and for me to goe and do the race (accompanied by my wife) it will be about 5K. So I dont know if it is worth it.

I have started the Triathletes training Bible and am in Base1 currently. So we will se how it goes as the longest event I have ever doen in Tri was the Xterra Buffelspoort this year.

Whould the athletes that have done some 70.3's say it is worth the 5K (travel, accomodation, race etc...)?

The 70.3 is currently the big race I am aiming for but I did the calculations and for me to goe and do the race (accompanied by my wife) it will be about 5K. So I dont know if it is worth it.

I have started the Triathletes training Bible and am in Base1 currently. So we will se how it goes as the longest event I have ever doen in Tri was the Xterra Buffelspoort this year.

Whould the athletes that have done some 70.3's say it is worth the 5K (travel, accomodation, race etc...)?

Good luck with the R5k plan. No way in my opinion except if you have friends living there and are driving down.

Yep, Did my First 70.3 and Full IM this year, Both Awesome events and definately worth the entry fees.

Ill be back 2013, entered already