IM70.3 SA 2013

Blindspot

Okay, so this will be my last (lazy) weekend before my official training program starts. The running and cycling of the first week is very doable. The last proper swim I had was on race day this year and 800m in the water seems far all of a sudden. I will have to watch some youtube videos over the weekend to get myself psyched for the water.

• Replies 496
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I find that you (me) pick up the swimming very quickly after a lay-off. Bike is not an issue as I normally do races throughout the year. It is getting into running again that I struggle with, but then, I don't like running and am not very fast (6min/km).

I wouldn't know. This was my first lay-off from swimming as I had only really learn to swim last year, but I sure hope you are right.

If you can manage 6min/km after the cycle on race day then you can be more than happy with your effort, but the run is definately where you can make up time if you have the legs.

My first swim was after a 4 month lay-off. Swam 450m, took a breather for 1min and swam another 300m. Yes, the shoulders/chest/triceps/lats did hurt a bit but not too bad. Have only done 3 swims since then and I'm already back on a 1.2km continuous swim (pool). No great pace but I manage.

Must say, 6min/km is my goal time and I achieve it in training doing brickruns. Suffered at IMSA though this year...Never got near it!!!

just ordered my brand new Argon 18 from Cycletech - busy being built - all in anticipation of a very good year of Jailbreak, IM70.3 and then full IM, cant wait!

Entered. Now just got to learn to swim fast enough to get ahead of those dtafting packs.

Is the "Mission Briefing" (Joburg 6 and 7 Nov) worthwhile for a 70.3 virgin?

No....im sure it wont be your first tri. Its esentially just a 20 min race briefing which could all change the day before anyways. You can also view the briefing as a video under media on the IM70.3 website.

Mission briefing? Never heard of it, but here is mine:

Swim, cycle and run. If you do that enough over the next couple of months then you should be able to complete your mission.

If it is a race briefing I will not even bother. The briefing on race weekend is compulsory, but there is a lekker vibe and lucky draws :thumbup:

No....im sure it wont be your first tri. Its esentially just a 20 min race briefing which could all change the day before anyways. You can also view the briefing as a video under media on the IM70.3 website.

:eek: Don't be so sure!! Ok well hopefully by then I will have done 1 or 2 shorter tri's... On the subject - which in GP would you chaps recomend so I can get them in the diary?

OK so for a 20min briefing maybe not worth fight ing the traffic etc to get there... will see closer to the time

Mission briefing? Never heard of it, but here is mine:

Swim, cycle and run. If you do that enough over the next couple of months then you should be able to complete your mission.

If it is a race briefing I will not even bother. The briefing on race weekend is compulsory, but there is a lekker vibe and lucky draws :thumbup:

:thumbup: I like you brief briefing. They sent an email out today on their own briefing in Joburg as per this ->

post-23367-0-96770400-1349447045_thumb.jpg

I just entered for my second 70.3. I only started running/walking last week after my knee operation. So I am currently on 3.5km, alternating between running and walking. I am hoping that I will have enough time to get running fit before January. Do you guys think I have enough time to slowly build up to 21km? I have been swimming and cycling at a very low intensity, so those should be ok.

:eek: Don't be so sure!! Ok well hopefully by then I will have done 1 or 2 shorter tri's... On the subject - which in GP would you chaps recomend so I can get them in the diary?

OK so for a 20min briefing maybe not worth fight ing the traffic etc to get there... will see closer to the time

Well if Ironman is your first tri then RESPECT! But im certain that 99% of entrants would have done some type of tri by then

Well if Ironman is your first tri then RESPECT! But im certain that 99% of entrants would have done some type of tri by then

Hehe

Well my first "trail run" was the Hobbit 105KM over 2 days. As you can imagine it changed me as a person and more. (not sure its for the better though!)

Hehe

Well my first "trail run" was the Hobbit 105KM over 2 days. As you can imagine it changed me as a person and more. (not sure its for the better though!)

But you are not normal :whistling: I did a 3 day stage trail race totalling 75km . At the time my first run over 22kms. But im sure you did a smaller race beore that.... but like i said if its your first time then - RESPECT! Having to navigate your first transition zone that has over 3000 athletes can be quite intimidating im sure

I just entered for my second 70.3. I only started running/walking last week after my knee operation. So I am currently on 3.5km, alternating between running and walking. I am hoping that I will have enough time to get running fit before January. Do you guys think I have enough time to slowly build up to 21km? I have been swimming and cycling at a very low intensity, so those should be ok.

I also did my meniscus 3 months ago and only started running last week. You will be fine!