IM70.3 SA 2013

Blindspot

Mental arithmetic...mmm....8x500m is 4000m @ mmm...1m 48s per 100m (used the calc for that one)

Are you Chad le Clos or something? w00t.gif

Sounds harder than it is smile.png The rest in between helps a lot and I used to swim provincial, so it's pretty much the only sport I knew anything about before I decided to start training for an Ironman.

And Chad swam a 51 seconds for the 100m butterfly, so I'm swimming freestyle at less than half his pace smile.png

Yeah thats hectic

Just a suggestion why don't you maybe include some short stuff in your swim training instead of doing all those 500's.

For example do 10 x 100's leaving on 2 min. It will increase the lung capacity as well. Then when that becomes to easy then leave on 1min 50 seconds.

You're right, the shorter stuff does help a lot. I try to do at least one session a week of very short stuff with minimal rest in between, i.e.

• 200m warmup
  • 5x100m negative splits with 15 seconds rest in between
  • 10x50m negative splits with 10 seconds rest in between
  • etc etc

There are a ton of cool workouts here: http://ruthkazez.com...imworkouts.html. So I'd normally do something like this: http://ruthkazez.com...mWorkout42.html

Edited by sluiper

• Replies 496
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

good smoke but you guys swim a lot. how many hours do you train a week if the swimming alone is 8-10km...?

Swimming is about 3 hrs a week.

A typical set could look like:

Warm up 500m, 5 x 50 on a min, 200 easy, 5x 100 on 2 miin, 100 easy, 400m time trial, 200 easy, 200 m kick board, 200m cool down - quick quick

Try do a 1500m - 3000m open water swim every 2nd week or so as well.

I think people who grew up on the beach or swam at a decent level at school find it easy to pick up. Swimming is also one of the hardest things tomake big improvements. IMHO

good smoke but you guys swim a lot. how many hours do you train a week if the swimming alone is 8-10km...?

At the moment I'm doing about 10-12 hours a week total, but I'm hoping to get that up to 18-20 in about 3 months' time.

That said, my main aim is the full Ironman in April, not the half.

OK, so you are not a newbie to swimming. Was about to retire and take up tiddlywinks out of inadequacy.

When I used to pay someone for a training program, she gave me a 5.3km swim for the one day including a whole of drills. After I decided to skip that one, I realised I was just another cut and paste customer.

The best investment I have made for my swimming was a Garmin Swim. Being able to see what you are doing makes the training so much more relevant and you focus so much better.

OK, so you are not a newbie to swimming. Was about to retire and take up tiddlywinks out of inadequacy.

When I used to pay someone for a training program, she gave me a 5.3km swim for the one day including a whole of drills. After I decided to skip that one, I realised I was just another cut and paste customer.

The best investment I have made for my swimming was a Garmin Swim. Being able to see what you are doing makes the training so much more relevant and you focus so much better.

or join a squad ....

How are you guys handling the training so far? I have to say that I'm struggling every other week. I can go hard for a week, but then suffer the next week feeling "pap". I think there might be an issue with my recovery?

What do your routines looks like?

How are you guys handling the training so far? I have to say that I'm struggling every other week. I can go hard for a week, but then suffer the next week feeling "pap". I think there might be an issue with my recovery?

I think you are probably right wrt to recovery

The best advice I have ever received was to work through the book “Triathletes training bible”. It really is a great investment in your training. It explains how recovery has to fit into your schedule. It’s a long read and you have to “Work” through the book, but the results are worth it.

Been thinking about the squad thing. Can you recommend in Northcliff area?

Sorry I live in CPT

Doing 10-12 hrs a week now, but also find the loss of energy. Have changed to training 7 or more days in a week to take advantage of good times, and then dropping a day when I feel run down, get good recovery then.

Find that cahnge of diet has helped a lot too with energy and recovery

Doing 10-12 hrs a week now, but also find the loss of energy. Have changed to training 7 or more days in a week to take advantage of good times, and then dropping a day when I feel run down, get good recovery then.

Find that cahnge of diet has helped a lot too with energy and recovery

How many days are there in your week? tongue.png

I make sure that for at least 1 day during a week I don't do any training. I will rather go into the race under trained than over trained.

"training 7 or more days in a week"

Where can I buy that extra day?

You have more than one session a day?? maybe he meant times not days

"training 7 or more days in a week"

Where can I buy that extra day?

Ja ja, didn't think that reply through clearly!

Meant to say, instead of doing 6 days, 1rest, taking advantage of feeling strong and trying out 7-8 days in a row until feeling buggered, then resting a day.

Seems to be working, but only been doing it for 2 weeks now, so will get back if its working

Ja ja, didn't think that reply through clearly!

Meant to say, instead of doing 6 days, 1rest, taking advantage of feeling strong and trying out 7-8 days in a row until feeling buggered, then resting a day.

Seems to be working, but only been doing it for 2 weeks now, so will get back if its working

Barone for a 25 hr day!