IM70.3 SA 2013

Blindspot

Don't ask him that! BigJoe can't run whistling.gif

I will admit, not a runner by nature. Having said that, furthest i had gone before 70.3 was 12km due to injuries. So the 21 on the day was my 1st half marathon ever. Legs felt fine (muscle wise), but joints and knees were sore, so i had to settle for a 2:24 run. Not great!

Next year will be different, running is coming along and have done a few longer runs already!

Then again, 'GSNieP' couldnt catch me on the run at 11Globalclap.gif

Edited by bigjoe

• Replies 496
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Hi Huibbers,

Are there no triathlon events in in or around Gauteng area in December for some prep towards 70.3.....???

At least Olympic Distance....The usual Bsg Prestige/Olympic distance looks like something from the past.....

Please let me know what events you guys are doing in December....

Happy Training....

Less than 9 weeks to race day. Is it thumbup1.gif or unsure.png?

The last 3 weeks have been good. I have stuck to my program except for missing a swim workout here and there, but I am hoping I can get that going from next week. I am taking a recovery week this week. So far thumbup1.gif then, but December will be a critical month.

The last 3 weeks have been good. I have stuck to my program except for missing a swim workout here and there, but I am hoping I can get that going from next week. I am taking a recovery week this week. So far thumbup1.gif then, but December will be a critical month.

I am pretty much in the same boat as you. This is also a recovery week, but next week the intensity is picking up.

2.5km swim (pool) - 1:04

94.7 cycle race time - 3:40

21Km run time - 2:35

Am I on track or completely off the pace here as far as training is concerned?

Looks good. You have a good base to work off now. Next two months will just be spent getting those times quicker. But it's always good to know you can do the distance.

Def on track! nothing wrong with those times.....

Are you aiming to complete the 70.3 with a timely goal??? Or simply just to finish???

If this is your first race and unless you are an accomplished athlete, don't try and predict a time. You will be wrong.

• Do your training to the best of your ability (this includes body, equipment, nutrition)
  • During your training, work out what is a comfortable level of effort for you to do continuously for the race distance plus a bit more without fatiguing. Link this to a heart rate range.
  • On race day, stick essentially within your range.

The result will be that you will finish the race. You will finish is your optimal time (maybe not your fastest possible time). You will be tired but not broken. You will finish having enjoyed yourself and with a smile on your face and wanting to return.

Def on track! nothing wrong with those times.....

Are you aiming to complete the 70.3 with a timely goal??? Or simply just to finish???

It's my first 70.3 so just aiming to finish within time limit without injury.

If this is your first race and unless you are an accomplished athlete, don't try and predict a time. You will be wrong.

• Do your training to the best of your ability (this includes body, equipment, nutrition)
  • During your training, work out what is a comfortable level of effort for you to do continuously for the race distance plus a bit more without fatiguing. Link this to a heart rate range.
  • On race day, stick essentially within your range.

The result will be that you will finish the race. You will finish is your optimal time (maybe not your fastest possible time). You will be tired but not broken. You will finish having enjoyed yourself and with a smile on your face and wanting to return.

Great tips....Thanks!

Looks good. You have a good base to work off now. Next two months will just be spent getting those times quicker. But it's always good to know you can do the distance.

Agree. Brim1, if you can do some ocean swims it will help allot, but the fact that you can go further in the water than the race distance is already a plus. For the cycling make sure you do a fair amount of hill training and some brick sessions to get use to run when getting of the bike.

Agree. Brim1, if you can do some ocean swims it will help allot, but the fact that you can go further in the water than the race distance is already a plus. For the cycling make sure you do a fair amount of hill training and some brick sessions to get use to run when getting of the bike.

What kind hill training would you suggest? I live in probably the flattest part of the country. Those hills caught me out last year.

Edited by ADe

I did a 3:01 bike this year, 1:40 out and a 1:21 back. Did a 2:58 94.7 (mostly solo), so that should give you an idea of the 2 different bike legs.

My split was also about a 20min difference

What kind hill training would you suggest? I live in probably the most flat part of the country. Those hills caught me out last year.

Well I don't know how you are going to do hill training without hills smile.png . I have done a 75km ride on Saturday with about 1200m elevation gain of which the toughest were 2 category 5 climbs (according to Strava) so I am fortunate to be surrounded with hills.

The best advice I can give (that works for me, but I am sure there will people who will differ) is to get used to spinning, that will save the legs for the return 45km and the run.