Tubeless Conversion Dilemma

leaboy

I have a Merida MATTS TFS 500 26er that has Alexrims.

I'm wanting to convert to tubeless and have been offered two different choices from two respectible cycling shops.

option1: The one store says I need tubeless tires as well as Stans Tubeless Conversion Kit.

option2: The other store says I need tubeless tires and the tubeless tape to perform the conversion.

option1 was the more expensive of the two.

Some feedback would be much appreciated.

Thanx

Tubeless tape and Stans conversion kit is basically the same thing. One is branded and the other one is not. You will need tubeless tyres without a doubt, otherwise you will have more problems, seeing that the Alex rims are not UST with a proper bead. Whether you pay more for the Stans rime tape, or get a generic one, is up to you, it would'nt make a big diffrence. I have tried a tubeless conversion on Alex rims and non tubless tyres some time ago, and at 3 occassions the tyre popped of the rim, once during a ride...not cool.

Use rubber strip conversion kit,either No-flats(cheapest and works very well) or Joe's or Stans and tubeless or tubeless ready tyres.Just with yellow tape your tyres might pop off the rim when jumping or cornering.

I ride stans tape with normal foldable maxxis tyres on dt swiss rims ... not the UST type tyre .... no problems to date and have been riding like this for a couple of years.

If I add up number the tyres I have used and the price difference between normal foldable and UST type i have been saving lekker moola for other cycling goodies

If you are doing it yourself for the first time, take the Stan's rim strip option, it is not that simple to do the generic rim tape yourself and you will save yourself some frustration. If the LBS is doing it, go with the rim tape and save some $$$.

Use rubber strip conversion kit,either No-flats(cheapest and works very well) or Joe's or Stans and tubeless or tubeless ready tyres.Just with yellow tape your tyres might pop off the rim when jumping or cornering.

Lol, No Flats is Joe's, one and the same.

The Joes rubber strip conversion is easier to use than the Stans tape conversion

Edited by Li Mu Bai

as long as the rims will seal and hold the tyre u can go either way all the methods above will work as long as you do it properly and clean the inside of the tyres properly for tubeless or beaded tyres, but if you are a fairly heavy rider over 85kgs I would not recomend a non tubeless on the back. with the non tubeless you will have to run slightly higher pressure as the tyre does not have the tube support and will tend to fold easier if too low pressure is used causing some good accidents.

Alex rims works perfectly with Tubeless conversions . And I don't even use UST tyres or rim strip

Surely you need something to cover the spoke holes.

So if i understand you layer the rim with tape, poke a hole where the valve goes and glue valve on, fit tyre leaving a small opening, fill with solution, fit tyre on and inlflate ASAP, spin round so solution can seal.

Edited by scotty

Yip and u can even do it if in a hurry . 2011 S2C gentleman was having panic attack . Unable to seal his toobeless conversion done by his LBS with JOE's . Take strip out and find it has been damaged . Throw in dustbin , tape rim with insulation tape and 10 minutes later he was on his way . Met him again this year at S2C and he still got the same setup on rear wheel ! :w00t:

So if i understand you layer the rim with tape, poke a hole where the valve goes and glue valve on, fit tyre leaving a small opening, fill with solution, fit tyre on and inlflate ASAP, spin round so solution can seal.

No glueing the valve-on. The little nut on the outside of the rim will tension it enough to seal...Don't do it with pliers over-tightning it, you will actually pinch the rubber on the edge of the valve closed so much so that you won't be able to get any air through it

If you can get hold of the stan's injector..it works a charm and you will make less of a mess this way.