TokaiMTB: Table Mountain MTB Forum (TMMTB)

(Deon)

The press release..

REVISED ENVIRONMENTAL MANAGEMENT PROGRAMME FOR ROAD CYCLING AND MOUNTAIN BIKING IN THE TMNP RELEASED FOR COMMENT

29 March 2016: SANParks and the Table Mountain Mountain Bike (TMMTB) Forum have over the past few months been revising the current 2002 cycling Environmental Management Programme (EMP) for the Table Mountain National Park (TMNP). A draft of the revised EMP will be released for public comment on Monday, 4 April on the TMNP and TMMTB Forum websites while hardcopies of the report and maps will be available at various libraries throughout the Cape metropolitan area and selected TMNP offices.

The purpose of revising the EMP is to update the current programme, to confirm existing cycling routes and to propose new routes. The EMP includes an updated Code of Conduct which comprises both cycling etiquette and compliance requirements to ensure safe, friendly and environmentally responsible cycling in the TMNP.

Acting TMNP Park Manager Gavin Bell, said the review was long overdue and that the Park has been working with the widely representative Forum to produce a robust and practical EMP to guide and manage both mountain biking and road cycling in the Park into the future. Bell said he is encouraged by the identification of additional cycling routes to complement the existing network and thanked the Forum and Park staff for the hard work in getting the new routes into the draft EMP for public comment.

Meurant Botha, chairperson of the TMMTB Forum, stated that the Forum has made strong inputs to update and improve the EMP and to introduce new cycling routes which are proposed to extend the current network of cycling routes in the Park and improve linkages in the network.

The process and review of the TMNP cycling and mountain biking EMP is being facilitated by Simon Nicks from CNdV Africa to whom comments can be emailed: Planning@cndv.co.za.

Mountain bikers, road cyclists, other Park recreational users and the general public are invited to comment on the EMP which will be available from Monday, 4 April 2016 for viewing at the following Public Libraries: Athlone, Bellville, Cape Town: Central, Claremont, Fish Hoek, Grassy Park, Gugulethu, Hout Bay, Khayelitsha, Langa, Mitchell's Plain Town Centre, Mowbray, Simon’s Town and Tokai; and at TMNP offices: Kloof Nek, Tokai Manor, Silvermine and Boulders.

From 4 April 2016 the revised draft EMP can be downloaded from the following websites: www.tmnp.co.za; www.TMMTB.co.za; www.pedalpower.org.za; www.amarider.co.za and www.tokaimtb.co.za

-ENDS-

Deon the email looks funny. Is it correct as stated in this quoted post?

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Deon the email looks funny. Is it correct as stated in this quoted post?

I think so, it was a copy and paste.

Is it the part where not only is Gavin Bell still around, and not fired/suspended/resigned as was recently mooted, but is also now the acting Park manager to top it off?  ^_^

and the process thereafter?

Approval?  

Will take a few weeks to draw up the responses... end of May-ish.

I think so, it was a copy and paste.

Is it the part where not only is Gavin Bell still around, and not fired/suspended/resigned as was recently mooted, but is also now the acting Park manager to top it off? ^_^

No the email address just looks funny. Reading it via Tapatalk.

• 7 months later...

Capediver, I'm not on Vleisboek - please share the good news!

Table Mountain Bikers:

Yesterday was a milestone for mountain biking in Cape Town!The revised EMP for Mountain Biking was officially adopted and signed by the Table Mountain National Park manager,on behalf of San Parks and Meurant Botha,as chair of the Table Mountain MTB Forum. The signing has paved the way for the opening of a number of existing footpaths, based on a Trailsharing principle.

It really is in the hands of the cyclists to make this a success.

It is especially important,when we get access to a trail in Newlands Forest,Kirstenbosch and Cecilia Forest. These areas are dog walking "bastions" and we know that Kirstenbosch is an area that protects our local flora. We are privileged to be able to use these spaces as Transit routes to get to Hout Bay,the Greenbelts and further on,Tokai.

Based on lessons learnt from the Greenbelts trail project,first 6 months of Trailsharing will be tough,with current users not wanting cyclists to share paths with them and some cyclists not understanding the need to slow down,get off your bike or pat a dog.

We've all got to be prepared to bite our tongue (walkers & cyclists) and understand that this is a shared space and we all love being outdoors.

Diffuse a situation with a friendly word & a smile! It works.

We will publish maps and communicate more information as we get closer to 1 December.

There will be a group ride on 1 December,through a section of new trails,most likely from Rhodes Memorial to Constantia Nek.

You'll need your activity permits to join us.

Yesterday was a big step forward for MTB in Cape Town. Thank you to everyone that made it possible and kept the faith!

P.S. Tokai is still set to open 31 December. We did ask for Tokai to open on 1 December,but an indemnity document,sitting on a desk in Pretoria,needs a signature. That is the holdup, over which we have little influence.

Quote:

Yesterday was a milestone for mountain biking in Cape Town!The revised EMP for Mountain Biking was officially adopted and signed by the Table Mountain National Park manager,on behalf of San Parks and Meurant Botha,as chair of the Table Mountain MTB Forum. The signing has paved the way for the opening of a number of existing footpaths, based on a Trailsharing principle.

It is especially important,when we get access to a trail in Newlands Forest,Kirstenbosch and Cecilia Forest. These areas are dog walking "bastions" and we know that Kirstenbosch is an area that protects our local flora. We are privileged to be able to use these spaces as Transit routes to get to Hout Bay,the Greenbelts and further on,Tokai. 

Based on lessons learnt from the Greenbelts trail project,first 6 months of Trailsharing will be tough,with current users not wanting cyclists to share paths with them and some cyclists not understanding the need to slow down,get off your bike or pat a dog.

We've all got to be prepared to bite our tongue (walkers & cyclists) and understand that this is a shared space and we all love being outdoors.

We will publish maps and communicate more information as we get closer to 1 December.

There will be a group ride on 1 December,through a section of new trails,most likely from Rhodes Memorial to Constantia Nek.

Yesterday was a big step forward for MTB in Cape Town. Thank you to everyone that made it possible and kept the faith!

P.S. Tokai is still set to open 31 December. We did ask for Tokai to open on 1 December,but an indemnity document,sitting on a desk in Pretoria,needs a signature. That is the holdup, over which we have little influence.

Copy & paste job for you - 

Thanks guys!! :clap:

After the Boks, we can do with some good news!

Have I ever told you the story of many years ago, when my dad broke both his arms in a bad bike crash? I phoned him the day he came out of hospital to ask how he was feeling. He said watching the Stormers play was more painful than two broken arms. This Springbok season is a little bit like that!