Tubeless Redo

SamL1220

Have to redo one of my tubeless tyres because of fixing spokes...... Removed rim strip,fixed spokes and cleaned. Put on new Stans rim tape,put on tyre, added sealant and reattached bead. Now cant get tyre to reseat into the bead. :thumbdown: Only have a floor pump, Any ideas or Tricks for this?

Get some sunlight soap onto a wet sponge and rub both sides of the tyre down into the bead. Works 97 times out of 100.

Get some sunlight soap onto a wet sponge and rub both sides of the tyre down into the bead. Works 97 times out of 100.

Tried this earlier and failed several times

Is it not seating or not inflating at all? If not taking air, that is because the tire has stretched with use and no longer sits tightly enough on the rim to create a seal. You could add extra layers of tape to get a tighter fit, but that also adds weight . Compressor ...

EDIT: If inflating but not seating, decrease pressure and push/roll the tire "body" away from the side your are trying to seat. That pulls the bead upwards. Repeat for other side . Good luck.

Edited by Delilah

Just work the beads from puching in the outside centre of the tyre so that it semi-seals / site on the rim, also the valve must be tightened and seated. And be liberal with some soapy water on the bead.

If it is the actual rim having a small side for the tire to seat, then I would suggest removing the stans rim strip. Cutting a roll of duck tape in half and running the duck tape neatly 3 times around the rim. Then buy tubeless valves and put them in.

Those stans rim strips are pretty thick. I can't use them with ztr crest rims. The rim's side wall is just not high enough.

Rim bead is clear of tape and tyre fits in. Tyre isn't holding air so can't get enough air in to hear the usual pop when tyre is fully attached to rim. I will try a compressor tomorrow.

I use a CO2 bomb and inflator for this purpose. I have a small compressor, and even with that I often have the same problem in re-seating tubeless tyres. The bomb will inflate it fast enough to ensure seating. Once it is seated, go through the usual acrobatic motions with the wheel to ensure the bead is sealed properly by the Stan's sealant.

Good luck

with a hand pump it is harder. if the tire is not sitting too loose on the rim, you may get it to work by massaging the tire whilst pumping one handed, not easy.

otherwise try a bomb if its 26" if you have one. high pressure blast usually works to get the tire to seat before all air escapes.

If its a 29" dont bother with a bomb, you dont get enough of a blast. With my loose fitting 29" schwalbe's i eventually did a 10pm nip off to the engen on the corner and massaged the tire whilst inflating with their high pressure compressor. took a while but finally worked. free too haha.

(small compressor sometimes works sometimes doesnt - 29" tires can be a pain.)

I find placing the valve closest to the floor (i.e. at a 6 O'clock position) and gently pushing down on the wheel while inflating helps to get the initial seal going.

Thanks. Last time I used a bomb and got it seated but opemed it up to add more sealant the next day only to find sealant had dried up into a ball due to the CO2.

Thanks. Last time I used a bomb and got it seated but opemed it up to add more sealant the next day only to find sealant had dried up into a ball due to the CO2.

CO2 is supposed to be a relatively inert gas. I was quite disturbed by this comment because I use CO2 with Stans constantly.... so I opened up one of my Stan's sealed tires that I seated with a bomb two weeks ago, and I can confirm that the Stan's sealant is still in perfect shape. I suspect it was not the CO2, but rather something else that screwed with your Stans.

Go to a garage and blast it with a compressor

I have had cases where I could not get a good seat / seal even at the local BP service station. The ultimate solution is to have a COMPRESSOR with a decent volume storage tank like I have seen at the LBS ( where I had to go with the aforementioned BP case), that works like a charm.