Should the public boycott banned athlete Lance Armstrong's sponsors?

Lucky Luke.

Should the public be boycotting Oakley, Nike, Trek and other sponsors supporting convicted doping cheats?  

148 members have voted

1. 1. See poll title, yes or no.

• Hell Yes
    • Hell No

Ok. Point taken. You are voting with your wallet and that is respectable. You are also OBVIOUSLY impartial when it comes to drug cheats.

So let's be logical here. Oakley for example is just a brand. It's actually owned by a company called luxottica. They do, amongst others Ray Ban, Arnette, Vogue and of course The chief evil doer amongst eyewear brands Oakley. So by extension the next time you buy eyewear you are going to have to exclude all of luxottica's labels because they are actually the money behind Oakley.

Now if you are going to be boycotting products used all drug cheats then surely you have to boycott all Giro products as they sponsor Alberto Contador. Now Giro is owned by Easton-Bell sports. So no Easton products. And no bell helmets. At this rate you are going to be a naked hiker.

Dumb thread.

Well naked hiking sounds interesting - maybe one day I'll give it a bash :thumbup:

There seems to be a common assumption on this thread that it's based on some kind of crusading and self-righteous extremist outlook.

To use your example, I'm not going to take issue with Luxxotica because a. I've never heard of them and b. even if the planets line up and by some miracle me and the 10 other yes voters manage to drive them to bankruptcy, somebody else will just buy Oakley and it will be marketing as usual.

For me it's about the specific brands trading on the LA persona and the message that sends out to millions of people.

In my view not buying their stuff is a tiny step to take, but one of the only channels the average joe has to demonstrate distaste for how cycling, and sport at large, is being manipulated to make money for people who ultimately don't give a crap about it.

Edited by Lucky Luke.

• Replies 198
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

The comrades winner was sponsored by ABSA. Oh, wait, they've been on my sh1tlist for more than a decade already.

As you were.

Hahaha!

Good one.

Sorry but I cannot side with anyone that uses terms like "neo liberal capitalist". I mean really. That type of expression always makes me either want to giggle or go out and buy rhino steaks.

No I won't really do that. I am a vegetarian.

you would be able to ride the tour de france and win it drug-free... and that would be an awesome statement to the world...

c'mon... I know you have it you!

Lance didn't...

nice retraction TNT1. The 21:08 one wasn't quite up to scratch!

Ya. Sometimes, you just want to shoot first, then shoot some more, then ask anyone left alive a question or two. People piss me off at the best of times. People that have a tenuous grip on reality piss me off more than most.

Ya. Sometimes, you just want to shoot first, then shoot some more, then ask anyone left alive a question or two. People piss me off at the best of times. People that have a tenuous grip on reality piss me off more than most.

My take on reality is that it is the only illusion you cannot escape from (alive?)

Reality is the most tenuous of them all to my mind

My take on reality is that it is the only illusion you cannot escape from (alive?)

Reality is the most tenuous of them all to my mind

I guess. But then don't be upset when other people create a reality that conflicts with yours?

I guess. But then don't be upset when other people create a reality that conflicts with yours?

Heck why not? Upset is a human emotion, denying it is denying yourself.

Although, looking out from a bubble, perspectives do tend to get skewed/warped. And that goes for all of us!

people tend to see things in black and white, and in the mean time there is an sea of infinite grey shades. Why limit yourself to either black or white? they are outliers, and should statistically be disregarded ;)

This started out a fun little thread...but now my head hurts.. :wacko:

Where's the bloody burlesque thread when you need it?

I stand corrected but did Lance not win all his TDF on Shimano rather than Sram? He made his comeback on Sram? And he only swapped his Shimano pedals for look pedals so that he would be able to ride his Teammate`s bike if there was no service vehicle around.

Just so we know which manufacturer to boycott or does this mean both???

I stand corrected but did Lance not win all his TDF on Shimano rather than Sram? He made his comeback on Sram? And he only swapped his Shimano pedals for look pedals so that he would be able to ride his Teammate`s bike if there was no service vehicle around.

Just so we know which manufacturer to boycott or does this mean both???

If you want to do this boycott thing properly, and stop playing pretend boycott, the correct course of action would b to boycott cycling in total. No participation, no supporting, no watching, no discussing, no hubbing. or is that sport in general?.. erm maybe humanity in totality?