Tall (dark & handsome) Boy

Delilah

Hmm, did not know about the Silberback. Will have a look. do you have a link.

I'm keen on the ZTR Crests with Hope Evo2 hub's, as available from Buycycle at R6K.

Been thinking I'll start getting some of the bits so long, distribute the expenses, things I can get that I know is universal mount.

Link in previous post ;) The also have a 29er duallie with similar specs.

It is always cheaper to buy a complete bike than frame plus separate components and wheelset. The Silverbacks are super value. Well, I assume. Their 2012 range was super value. Have not yet seen pricing for 2013 range.

Edited by Delilah

• Replies 520
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Thanks,

Looking,

Ye, building def going to end costing a bit more. think the thing is to decide on a frame and then distribute the costsssss. soften the blow :)

G

Link in previous post ;) The also have a 29er duallie with similar specs.

It is always cheaper to buy a complete bike than frame plus separate components and wheelset. The Silverbacks are super value. Well, I assume. Their 2012 range was super value. Have not yet seen pricing for 2013 range.

hehehe, the toys and the building process.

G

Lol... The whole new vs whole new in bits conundrum. Must say, I do prefer the whole new in bits way... Far more fun to have many little gifts coming in and putting them on as you go...

Thanks,

Looking,

Ye, building def going to end costing a bit more. think the thing is to decide on a frame and then distribute the costsssss. soften the blow :)

Silverback Mercury Elite (2012 29er duallie) with XT, SLX brakes, Stan's Crest wheelset sells for about R19 000. The 2013 one (Strada 1) shouldn't be too much more. Either would also make great donor bikes - ride for a while and upgrade the frame later.

Lol... The whole new vs whole new in bits conundrum. Must say, I do prefer the whole new in bits way... Far more fun to have many little gifts coming in and putting them on as you go...

hehehe, the toys and the building process.

G

Not to mention getting every little detail just the way you want it. Great for us control freaks :rolleyes:

Just a little tip, many people talk alot of crap when it comes to "donor" bikes without doing their homework or knowing much (or enough) of building a bike from scratch... (not talking about you Delilah, just saying in general).

Firstly, most of these silverbacks, especially 2012 ones came with straight steerers, not with tapered, and sometimes even with QR forks/wheelsets.

Then you also have to consider the BB, Seatpost diameter, and FD type... not too mention if you need a new set of hydraulic hoses or just a couple of olives to adjust the lengths, you can be in for anything from R500 to R 2000 if you need a new FD, a set of hoses, a set of cables, a new seatpost, etc...

Then, the donor bikes come with really crappy stems, seats, seatposts and bars/grips - so you will in the end pay for upgrading these, if not immediately, then somewhere down the line...

Donor bikes are not worth it in the long run, not in the big picture.

My 5cents worth...

Edited by TheV

Just a little tip, many people talk alot of crap when it comes to "donor" bikes without doing their homework or knowing much (or enough) of building a bike from scratch... (not talking about you Delilah, just saying in general).

Firstly, most of these silverbacks, especially 2012 ones came with straight steerers, not with tapered, and sometimes even with QR forks/wheelsets.

Then you also have to consider the BB, Seatpost diameter, and FD type... not too mention if you need a new set of hydraulic hoses or just a couple of olives to adjust the lengths, you can be in for anything from R500 to R 2000 if you need a new FD, a set of hoses, a set of cables, a new seatpost, etc...

Then, the donor bikes come with really crappy stems, seats, seatposts and bars/grips - so you will in the end pay for upgrading these, if not immediately, then somewhere down the line...

My 5cents worth...

Especially when you are like me and look for bargains!

V, thanks.

At least I was not really looking at the donor route.

Biggest thing is the frame selection.

My list atm:

Scott Genius 700, but thinking this might be killer expensive.

I like the Rocky Mountain Altitude's, but also seen a posting about the Element 70 MSL, where the back wheel got enough space and the fork, well fit a 650 compatible like the 34 Talas and we have a good start, also looking at maybe a Rock Shox Revelation RLT (Solo Air) or maybe even a SID RLT (with springs down to 120 or 140).

With looking at the Element 70 MSL, I'm thinking, this is a 2012 frame, which implies it might be available as a Chinese Blank?

Other frames (as options),

Cube:Super Stereo 160 HPC, Ghost (but only apparently in 2013), and the the 2013 Silverback:Slider 275

G

Just a little tip, many people talk alot of crap when it comes to "donor" bikes without doing their homework or knowing much (or enough) of building a bike from scratch...

My 5cents worth...

Especially when you are like me and look for bargains!

Yeah bud, but you are as tight as a tiger! :whistling:

You have the time and the patience for looking...

And you have self control, patience, and practical thinking...

You dont suffer from "always have to have the best and most expensive syndrome" :whistling:

hehehe

V

and how many of those points you fail at?

G

Yeah bud, but you are as tight as a tiger! :whistling:

You have the time and the patience for looking...

And you have self control, patience, and practical thinking...

You dont suffer from "always have to have the best and most expensive syndrome" :whistling:

Hey G!

27.5 is 26" FOX Forks, or special 27.5 Forks - Rock Shox's not an option.

I will stay away from a 27.5 forks, simply because you will pay a stupid premium for nothing, 26" Fox will do, 2011/12 will be perfect, RL/RLC - not the super expensive CTD's of 2013.

Edited by TheV

hehehe

V

and how many of those points you fail at?

G

The only thing I pass.... is knowing that I fail ALL of those.... :whistling:

ok

So you saying just go with a set of standard Fox 26er forks, where we know the 27.5 wheels git into anyhow.

You mentioned the RL/RLT these are RS, but then everyone has told me RS forks wont work, or are you referring to 27.5/650b revelation 2013 here.

So basically skip the entire 2013 range.

G

Hey G!

27.5 is 26" FOX Forks, or special 27.5 Forks - Rock Shox's not an option.

I will stay away from a 27.5 forks, simply because you will pay a stupid premium for nothing, 26" Fox will do, 2011/12 will be perfect, RL/RLT - not the super expensive CTD's of 2013.