Specialized

chucky

What is happening to specialized in SA,is anyone else finding it difficult to get parts or good service from specialized.

I was told by a dealer that my epic mtb frame would be covered under warrenty and now its not,i understand that the agency cant warrenty any frame without seeing it first, but i was lead to believe this wouldnt be a problem.

There was a lug that was tightened to much which was done by a specialized dealer and now im to blame.

I have all these years been a specialized fame from mtb to rd to tt and have all there bikes,i am seriosly thinking of changing.

Specialized only warrantees product defects and so does all the other brands. What I'm trying to say is that if the frame breaks while riding its covered, but if this was caused by bad worksmanship then they won't cover you. You would have to sort it out with the dealer and thats the problem because they'll say you tightened it after your service and you can't prove them wrong even though its not the case.

If you are on good terms with the dealer/owner go see him and sort it out. It is only fair that they replace it or at least give you a new one at cost. ps. stick with specialized, they make great bikes and the other guys are just as full of it when it comes to warrantee claims

New one at cost!!! [sic]...

Every company should have insurance for this sort of claim... I am sick of mechanics messing up...

I suggest you make sure that the Bike Shop you go to has public liability and defective workmanship cover...

To bike shops.... If you want to employ untrained workers - cover your clients... else...

To bike owners.... go to a shop that cares enough, and is proud enough about their service and customers that they put you first!

• 2 weeks later...

Your first contact should always be your dealer. IF you have no joy there, go to www.specialized.com and select South Africa. All the contact details are available. They will get back to you with a response and a course of action.

Please note that queries should be dealt with through dealers first.

Hi there

I did contact a local dealer, did not get much in the way of feeling, they're keen on working with me to build what i want, then dropped the international email address a mail, on which I have not gotten any responses.

Was keen on something in the Epic format, with 27.5 wheels, but with no responses, and a more than willing/eager response from another vendor change design a bit, in the end will be a awesome bike/me=>Happy, other than having to wait ;)

G

Your first contact should always be your dealer. IF you have no joy there, go to www.specialized.com and select South Africa. All the contact details are available. They will get back to you with a response and a course of action.

Please note that queries should be dealt with through dealers first.

I have had two bikes replaced now under warranty. First one was a crack in the frame. Second was a crack in the paint work. Specialized are not afraid to back their product!

Did not imply they do not.

It's just the initial response, initial process to get someone onto one that seems to need some improvement.

Phoned the LBS, via a referral, the view was, this is what we have, this is what we can do, like it or leave.

Plan was to source a 2010 Epic frame+shock, to then be build up using new nice bits, married to 27.5 wheels.

all I wanted was, come in, lets sit down, chat and see what we can do, instead of FIFO.

G

Edited by awesme

It's just the initial response, initial process to get someone onto one that seems to need some improvement.

Phoned the LBS, via a referral, the view was, this is what we have, this is what we can do, like it or leave.

Plan was to source a 2010 Epic frame+shock, to then be build up using new nice bits, married to 27.5 wheels.

all I wanted was, come in, lets sit down, chat and see what we can do, instead of FIFO.

G

Maybe look at a new LBS. i see you're in Alberton. Pity. I know of a good Spez dealer in the north. Sorted out all my warranties and they even make a pretty good cup of coffee!

I suggest you make sure that the Bike Shop you go to has public liability and defective workmanship cover...

To bike shops.... If you want to employ untrained workers - cover your clients... else...

To bike owners.... go to a shop that cares enough, and is proud enough about their service and customers that they put you first!

Hence herein lies the problem, Bike shop owners don't want to pay decent money for decent mechanics.

Customers don't want to pay decent money for decent work done,

When the shop says ok sir that's R1000 for a major service, what happens? typical response is: "what? how much? but the shop down the road charges R350 for a major! you lot are a rip off! I'm never coming back here!" 6 months go by and the same guy is back because he's now taken his bike to every other tom, dick and his dog, and nothing works right, the decent mechanic that charges what he's worth is then expected to clean up the mess...so now who's to blame the customer or the bike shop?

Has happened to me all too often...

Have had 2 cracked frames replaced at little to no cost under the lifetime warranty Original bike I bought up in the USA nogals, nevertheless replaced locally, covered by their international policy.

No complaints here, new frame and shock every 2 years suits me just fine..

G

Mmmmmmm G that's more than a tad unreasonable, the chance of finding a 2010 Epic from anywhere from anyone (especially new) clearly would be like finding a needle in a haystack! Even come in and sit down, lets chat would not have got you one .... what exacty did you want them to do?

I'm sure that if you were after a current bike/frame there would have been no issue. I have dealt with that shop for many years and I can vouch for their service and friendliness.

In my many dealings with Specialized over the years (and it's been a damn long time) I personally have never had any reason to complain but ja that's just me ..... I am still a big Specialized fan as most already know!

Edit - they also make a mean cup of coffee so I guess myself and Specializedfan are talking about the same shop :)

Edited by NotSoBigBen

Hi nsBB

ok, let me explain how the conversation went.

I explained that I'm looking to build a 27.5 format, was looking for 2010 or newer frames, how can he help. Reply was, basically don't have, might have one large. end of conversation.

I always think the most important thing, get the customer in the door, once he is on your shop floor, build up a repour with him, find out what he is trying to do, offer help, that you there to assist.

Did not expect to find a new frame, just wanted a bit of, lets work together and see if we can build you the dream, instead of pick option A or B, sorry can't help.

Was hoping, that me mentioning you referred me might have made the guy just pay a bit more attention, at the time of phoning said shop, was actually willing to spend money as soon as we found the frame, and I had an idea what I'm looking at spending, very similar to what I'll now be spending on the other option, or a reasonable full bike that could be striped as a donor.

But, as you know I've now decided on another frame, just have to wait... not going to have fingers left by the time it arrives. :)

and you are def Specialized fan #0001, maybe down the line, as a super light, or as a next bike for the wife, def be looking at specialized again.

G

Mmmmmmm G that's more than a tad unreasonable, the chance of finding a 2010 Epic from anywhere from anyone (especially new) clearly would be like finding a needle in a haystack! Even come in and sit down, lets chat would not have got you one .... what exacty did you want them to do?

I'm sure that if you were after a current bike/frame there would have been no issue. I have dealt with that shop for many years and I can vouch for their service and friendliness.

In my many dealings with Specialized over the years (and it's been a damn long time) I personally have never had any reason to complain but ja that's just me ..... I am still a big Specialized fan as most already know!

Edit - they also make a mean cup of coffee so I guess myself and Specializedfan are talking about the same shop :)

Hi nsBB

ok, let me explain how the conversation went.

I explained that I'm looking to build a 27.5 format, was looking for 2010 or newer frames, how can he help. Reply was, basically don't have, might have one large. end of conversation.

I always think the most important thing, get the customer in the door, once he is on your shop floor, build up a repour with him, find out what he is trying to do, offer help, that you there to assist.

Did not expect to find a new frame, just wanted a bit of, lets work together and see if we can build you the dream, instead of pick option A or B, sorry can't help.

Was hoping, that me mentioning you referred me might have made the guy just pay a bit more attention, at the time of phoning said shop, was actually willing to spend money as soon as we found the frame, and I had an idea what I'm looking at spending, very similar to what I'll now be spending on the other option, or a reasonable full bike that could be striped as a donor.

But, as you know I've now decided on another frame, just have to wait... not going to have fingers left by the time it arrives. :)

and you are def Specialized fan #0001, maybe down the line, as a super light, or as a next bike for the wife, def be looking at specialized again.

G

We'll have to agree to disagree then

heheh

happy to do that, Still think you got an awesome bike there.

G

PS: maybe I had a bad day, maybe he had a bad day.

We'll have to agree to disagree then

Edited by awesme