MTB Wheel sets?

Ans and Sue

• Replies 36
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Yup robinh, hopes use sealed cartridge bearings, and as kosmonooit said, totally user servicable. I've replaced an axle on a friend's rear hub tith a mallet, block of wood, screwdriver and a large socket. Took 5min.

Cool, thanks man. Will think about using those hubs on my future bike build next year :thumbup:

Read this forum. People use different methods of greasing right inside the freewheel body. You will probably have to do it routinely.

http://forums.mtbr.com/wheels-tires/silenced-my-hope-pro-hubs-802687.html

Oh shot man!!!

That's awesome news , I was actually sorely disappointed when I heard that noise my beautiful hope hoops made , didn't realize it was so loud

But nevertheless the ride with hope wheels is truly incredible compared to any manufacturers stock OEM wheels

Great info in this post.

Newb question though: Where's a good place to buy the Hope Hubs locally (JHB)? Or is it better to get it from CRC?

Also, what size? I see at the CRC website, they offer various sizes? Is 12mm x 150mm the standard size?

Great info in this post.

Newb question though: Where's a good place to buy the Hope Hubs locally (JHB)? Or is it better to get it from CRC?

Also, what size? I see at the CRC website, they offer various sizes? Is 12mm x 150mm the standard size?

International Trade are the agents (011)7815324*. Jason will build you a set of wheels with your rim of choice.

*I seem to post up their details here at least once a week... :D

International Trade are the agents (011)7815324*. Jason will build you a set of wheels with your rim of choice.

*I seem to post up their details here at least once a week... :D

Thanks for the info!

Ditto on Hope Pro 2's. They always give me the confidence that no matter what the conditions, they're still just like butter.

I actually like the noisy rear. And helps to let animals and people know I'm coming up behind them :)

Matched them to ZTR Crest, 2.25 Racing Ralphs and brass nipples.

Also ran the hope Pro 2 hubs and loved every minute of it. Only fault I found was that the freewheel body was quite soft and that the cassette bit into it. Attached is a pic. Have seen a lot of these hubs doing that.

Also explore the White Industry hubs, awesome!!! Contact is Ruan from SpokeWorks. spokeworks@iburst.co.za

post-4555-0-26406300-1348476142_thumb.jpg

Ruan am I correct in saying that there are two types of Hope freehubs, one alu and one steel or something stronger, as I remember not ordering the alu version?

Unfortunately the freebody does do that when you run cheaper gear clusters - especially if you are a big rider. I upgraded to an XT cluster (from a Deore) before mine looked anywhere near that bad.

Edited by slick

Ruan am I correct in saying that there are two types of Hope freehubs, one alu and one steel or something stronger, as I remember not ordering the alu version?

Yes - you are correct - there is a steel freehub available as an option - CRC stocks them at about R900 if memory serves.

Ditto on Hope Pro 2's. They always give me the confidence that no matter what the conditions, they're still just like butter.

I actually like the noisy rear. And helps to let animals and people know I'm coming up behind them :)

Matched them to ZTR Crest, 2.25 Racing Ralphs and brass nipples.

hey you are very clever. Now people won't be so jumpy when I come from behind. We all know how you "skrik" when some silent rider suddenly whooshes past you.

Also consider fulcrum... Dont know if they are more quiet than hope... Solomons had a huge special on the red metal 3 full ust wheels... They are quite light and my friends who ride with them are very happy. I have put more than 7000km's on my xt wheels including 2 trans baviaans without any issues whatsoever. Yes they dont have sealed bearings but I have a lot if respect for them!