MTB Wheel sets?

Ans and Sue

We have bought 2 x GT MTB'S. They come with Formula Hubs. If they go...you have to replace the whole Blinking hub. Since Formula is not interchangeable. It is now just over a year and the free wheel mech is going. We do a fare amount of MTBing some tame downhill stuff but nothing serious. We are not heavy weights either. My irritation is that I think just over a year is pretty short for that to pack up and on top of all it is pretty difficult to get hold of the parts.

I will be looking to replace the wheel..new wheel sets but the question is ...what do I get. There are so many different Wheel sets with a variety of hubs available. Hope hubs seems to be quite popular but I do not like the noise.

Anybody out there with some wisdom???

• Replies 36
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Hope hubs seems to be quite popular but I do not like the noise.

But the noise is the best part! :huh: You won't like Stan's hubs either if noise is an issue.

Good ol' Shimano? XT on my previous bike was pretty quiet and never gave problems. Parts won't be an issue either.

EDIT: You on 26ers, right?

EDIT 2: DT Swiss with rims of your choice could also work. Very good and very light hubs, but $$$.

Edited by Delilah

I would recommend Hope. Parts available. Great value for money. Fit and forget hubs.

I would avoid shimano though. They use cup and cone bearings. Way more maintenance than the sealed cartridge bearings that most other brands use. Still don't know why shimano still uses such an archaic design.

I don't know Formula hubs, but it sounds wrong that the whole thing needs to be replaced. Are you sure someone isn't trying to pull one on you? The bearings should be replaceable.

DT Swiss 370 is quiet and has given me very good service. (So has Hope Pro 2, but the rear is noisy. Btw, the front is quiet.) If your rims and spokes are good, just get new hubs and have them rebuilt by a good wheelbuilder. If the rest of your wheels are also dodgy, get a new wheelset. Currently the in thing is ZTR rims and Hope hubs.

But the noise is the best part! :huh: You won't like Stan's hubs either if noise is an issue.

Good ol' Shimano? XT on my previous bike was pretty quiet and never gave problems. Parts won't be an issue either.

EDIT: You on 26ers, right?

EDIT 2: DT Swiss with rims of your choice could also work. Very good and very light hubs, but $$$.

Yes it is 26ers. Don't like the noise but am willing give it a try. As long as it lasts longer than a year, Thanks

I don't know Formula hubs, but it sounds wrong that the whole thing needs to be replaced. Are you sure someone isn't trying to pull one on you? The bearings should be replaceable.

DT Swiss 370 is quiet and has given me very good service. (So has Hope Pro 2, but the rear is noisy. Btw, the front is quiet.) If your rims and spokes are good, just get new hubs and have them rebuilt by a good wheelbuilder. If the rest of your wheels are also dodgy, get a new wheelset. Currently the in thing is ZTR rims and Hope hubs.

No it is not the whole part but the "cassette body". But the problem is to get "that" part. As I understand with other you can use conversion kits or something like that. No I trust the guy (LBS) doing this for me. My question though is still: Why such a short "lifespan" on this component?

Fit Hope and forget. Two of my mates have had endless crap with DT Swiss rear hubs, both within a year. If you don't like the sound of Hope, ask your lbs to pump the freebody full of grease, which apparently quietens them down a lot. It is of course a crime, but each to his own and at least they will last a lot longer.

Yes it is 26ers. Don't like the noise but am willing give it a try. As long as it lasts longer than a year, Thanks

My DH bike had been running Hope Pro II's for over 2 years now. Never been serviced, and still running perfectly

I would recommend Hope. Parts available. Great value for money. Fit and forget hubs.

I would avoid shimano though. They use cup and cone bearings. Way more maintenance than the sealed cartridge bearings that most other brands use. Still don't know why shimano still uses such an archaic design.

I can attest those cup and cone things are a pain in the @ss. Replacing the bearings is a bit of a mission. And they get dirty...

@Patches - Do the Hope hubs use the cartridge bearing system? Are they relatively easy to replace and service DIY? No point taking to the LBS if i can do it myself..Shot

Another plus is Hope hubs are completely user serviceable: you can get spares and the tools from CRC. They used standard sealed bearings. Hope web site has some vids on how to do the servicing presented by none other that Mr Yorkshire Pudding.

I can attest those cup and cone things are a pain in the @ss. Replacing the bearings is a bit of a mission. And they get dirty...

@Patches - Do the Hope hubs use the cartridge bearing system? Are they relatively easy to replace and service DIY? No point taking to the LBS if i can do it myself..Shot

Another plus is Hope hubs are completely user serviceable: you can get spares and the tools from CRC. They used standard sealed bearings. Hope web site has some vids on how to do the servicing presented by none other that Mr Yorkshire Pudding.

Yup robinh, hopes use sealed cartridge bearings, and as kosmonooit said, totally user servicable. I've replaced an axle on a friend's rear hub tith a mallet, block of wood, screwdriver and a large socket. Took 5min.

Had xt hubs laced to ztr rims,my new xt hub freewheel lasted 1050kms and broke completely,and I was carefull about maintaining the cup and cones!I dont think the freewheel bodys are strong enough to stand mtb use.The shop did not replace the freewheel as it was not their fault.I have since used hope,and no problems.

Although my front hub is still xt,and after 4 years use it is ok.I know how to service cup and cone bearings thou,otherwise they would have packed in .The freewheel is the hardest working component in your wheelset,and most likely to pack in,hope are easy to maintain and good quality.

Fit Hope and forget. Two of my mates have had endless crap with DT Swiss rear hubs, both within a year. If you don't like the sound of Hope, ask your lbs to pump the freebody full of grease, which apparently quietens them down a lot. It is of course a crime, but each to his own and at least they will last a lot longer.

Does this actually work , or only temporary till the grease eases up?

What drawbacks does it bring - a slight delay on the engagement times?

I can't stand that clacking ruining my serene ride , love the hubs in all other respects.

ZTR + HOPE is very reliable and fast

Not 100% sure, as I won't silence mine. Maybe with a good marine grease or something hardy, it might work for a while. I was once told by an lbs that when they go quiet, it could be time to service them... My one set has not been touched in three years and the others I have only had for about two years, untouched..

Not 100% sure, as I won't silence mine. Maybe with a good marine grease or something hardy, it might work for a while. I was once told by an lbs that when they go quiet, it could be time to service them... My one set has not been touched in three years and the others I have only had for about two years, untouched..

That there is the beauty of hope hubs - years of rather harsh riding , no maintenance and still purring along.

I'd really like to try this method of grease to quieten the cassette free body mechanism on hope hubs.

Has anyone actually tried it yet , someone that can give feedback wether it works and what drawbacks it may have?

I agree. I had such trouble with my XT hubs - I had 2 rear hubs replaced under warrantee.

I am on my second pair of Hope hubs and love them.