Help a rookie student decide between 2 bikes PLEASE!!

Single Track

Hi there everyone!

Ive been riding for a couple months and absolutely love it!

I'm lucky enough to live a 10min ride fron the Jonkerhoek reserve so I dont see myself getting bored anytime soon.

Currently I ride a 2010 GT 3.0 which is as solid as a rock but I find it extremely heavy and I've saved up a bit to be able to upgrade.

I ride a large frame and have a R6000 budget at absolute max so im looking at second hand bikes. I'd love a 29er but at R6000 im very limited for choice. I can either get a second hand lower spec'd 29er or a well spec'd 26er.

What i am looking at-

A 2010 Giant XTC 2 26er good condition

Its components:

Recon gold air fork with remote lockout

xt rear

slx front

slx shifters

shimano brakes

tubeless

2012 Giant Talon 29er

Rock Shox XC28 front shock (with lock out) COIL

Sram crank

Sram X5 shifters

Avid Elixir 1 brakes

Shimano Deore front derailleur

Sram X5 rear derailleur

The 29er is much heavier and does not have tubeless tyres, however it is a 29er.

Do I go for the 29er or the 26er? I dont have the money to be able to upgrade the 29er.

I would choose the 26er because the wheel size doesnt really matter if you dont race. Parts and weight is everything and if you get a basic 29er its going to be heavy.

these parts below are good parts :thumbup:

Recon gold air fork with remote lockout

xt rear

slx front

slx shifters

shimano brakes

tubeless

Thanks! I know a lot about bikes from doing my own research so was also leaning towards the 26er. What i dont have a lot of is experience which is why I like to ask and therefore learn more. Jonkers is not 29er territory, I like to hear that!! I'm not a big fan of the climbs at all, would a light 26er or a heavier 29er be better to climb with?

26" preferable for climbing and switchbacks.

29" favourable for marathon type riding and good roll-over with smaller obstacles.

Something like 'dat...

Go with the 26.er without question.

Far better specs.

Just ensure it has been ridden little, and well maintained.

Can get expensive to replace cassettes, chain etc

Go with the 26.er without question.

Far better specs.

Just ensure it has been ridden little, and well maintained.

How expensive are we talking? The bike looks to be in good condition, what are the tell tale signs I should look out for?

26'er... Come join me for a few trails in Eden/paradyskloof, some lekker single tracks to test your new bike on.

Thanks! I'm keen! I'm currently off for 6 weeks still - broke my collar bone (G-Spot)

Will keep in contact though. I'm still a "beginner" though so will struggle to keep up on the hills, maybe "unfit" is the better word.

Thanks! I'm keen! I'm currently off for 6 weeks still - broke my collar bone (G-Spot)

Will keep in contact though. I'm still a "beginner" though so will struggle to keep up on the hills, maybe "unfit" is the better word.

I push uphill, still bit unfit... but one of these days. Most of the trails is to steep to pedal out anycase.

I push uphill, still bit unfit... but one of these days. Most of the trails is to steep to pedal out anycase.

Awesome! Well then I'm looking forward to it! I love the single tracks!