2 km swim within 10 days??

Garfield2010

• Replies 43
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Garfield, all cats hate swimming. Are you different? :w00t:

No Dave. That must be why I get so aggressive. Put me in water and have a claw. :ph34r:

Why do you think I leave swim training until 10 days to the event?

Edited by Garfield2010

10 days? Plenty of time. You could even throw in some cross training: skiing, skateboarding, extreme ironing...

Garfield. Did I read correctly you are in Bloemfontein. Thought you stayed in Emmerentia somewhere ? I am going to Emmerentia on Sunday morning to do a few laps in my wetsuit prep for Midland Ultra so if you in the area best u join.

On Sat morning 6am we are doing a brick session from Something Country. 90 cycle and a 10 run easy pace.

OK so I did a 1km easy swim yesterday evening. Did 4 x 250m's.

Anyone know a good swim coach in Bfn? I need individual lessons. Willing to pay.

Or will this do?

http://www.takealot....g,9780237536329

There are swim schools at the Virgin Active I go to, will get some numbers for you if you like or just pop into the one at the showgrounds.

Are you settled in? Were you at the mtb(dirtroad) ride on Monday?

Hi Hans

I moved to Bfn last weekend. Enjoy Emmarentia. Best to wear your wetsuit. its gonna be a cold one!

Its really funny how some guys are terrified by cold water. I have a mate who is a hard core marathon runner who is real fit so on the bike and run he is like superman. Just mention water and the dude starts quaking at the knees. Last Iron man he just finished the swim minutes before cut-off. The first thing he asks is "How cold is the water?" needless to say on Sunday I'm swimming at emmerentia and on Sunday he is doing a looooong run.

There are swim schools at the Virgin Active I go to, will get some numbers for you if you like or just pop into the one at the showgrounds.

Are you settled in? Were you at the mtb(dirtroad) ride on Monday?

Yes I am settled in thx.

No I wasnt - went for a run instead. Cool I will attend them swim schools ... if I am still alive after Midmar 70.3 next weekend.

OK

I got about three sessions. 2 x 40 minute sessions and 1 x 90 minute session all in a 25m pool in which to prepare for Midmar 70.3.

I am a crap swimmer and havent swam in 6 months. Bike and run looking very good...

Simple question... given the above constraints is it better to just swim long and slow or should I do drills? Which will have the biggest impact?

If I can swim a 40min 2km I will be over the moon.

You are leaving your training time a bit short, do a bit of everything for speed and stamina, remember that you have to also taper off on the training the closer you get to the actual event.

Ok so I did three sessions. One 500m. One 1km and then yesterday 1.25km.

Really found my "stride" yesterday and as long as I swim within myself I can keep going like forever. Its all about the breathing. Gonna find a bunny on Sunday and sit at its feet the whole of the swim. At least then I dont have to worry about looking up :eek: .

Not gonna post a record time but if I can manage a sub 45minute it will be OK.

Gonna kill the bike and run. Weather looks awesome!

What you hoping for on Sunday Garf?

I have done about the same swimming training for Sunday.

Aims are as follows

Swim 37min

T1 5min

Bike 2:45

T2 5 min

Run 2:05

Total 5:37 ish...

Swim 45min

T1 5min

Bike 2:50

T2 5 min

Run 1:50

Total anything under 6 hours will make me really happy. 05h45 but then I will have to have a great day.

The problem with Tri is that themoment you thinks its gonna be easy it takes you by the balls and shows you why it is associated with the word Ironman......

Also remember it could rain. So punctures could be in play. i also just race better in heat.

Hopefully it is just cloudy and a little bit humid....

Cool

I will wear a black ORCA top with some white in it. I will also probably be wearing compression socks and ride a Felt B-12. On the run I will wear Solomons Speecross Lime green shoes