Cape Town opens Promenade to cyclists, skateboarders and rollerbalders

Heckflosse

Now for a bmx and skateboard park on one of the many open spaces there, hmmmmm

Build your own. Us MTB people had to make our own trails. Why must the city supply you with my tax money?

• Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Build your own. Us MTB people had to make our own trails. Why must the city supply you with my tax money?

Where? Do you own the land that you're destroying by building and cutting trails on? Poor frogs your squashing!

Good News, great to hear that there is a realisation that cyclists and pedestrians can use the same spaces. Hopefully this thinking can be taken up on to the mountain.

Yes us MTB people build our own, but why must my tax money be used on cycle lanes that are not used????

Yes us MTB people build our own, but why must my tax money be used on cycle lanes that are not used????

What kind of government system would you prefer, if one at all?

No racing snake is gonna take his weight-weenie velocipede over those rumpty-dumpty paving bricks. It'll be the cruisers on bikes rented from Virgin Active, the tall girl on the Dutch bike, the hipster out to be hip ..

Incidentally, I read in one of the municipal newsletters that you DON'T have to ride on the cycle path. You can use the road even where there is a path.

Yay! The 1.5 metre law is only a month or two away, I hear.

no you misunderstand, let me try again. I would rather have the government build a skatepark, bmx park, basketball courts on the empty places like infront of seapoints sabc/ goodhope building, or other suitable area than have them build white elephants like the cycle lanes which I must admit have never seen being used. Just last week I got a few guys on the N1 forshore side, someone will probably mention how unsafe it is etc, Did anyone get the cops to patrol that area?? then what about the area infront of hartleyvale stadium??? No one ever cycles those lanes instead they insist on riding on the road and weave inbetween peak hour traffic?? So if I had a choice to contribute my tax towards more cycle lanes or to play areas for youngsters and big ones too, then I would choose Play Area whether it be a bmx park, skatepark etc

Can we just focus on the positive outcome of this decision? We have City fathers who seem to be keen to promote cycling and that's a good thing. The tax debate and who is entitled to benefit from the spend is another debate and not relevant here.

I can imagine some of those old skool retirees / blu rinse brigade making a fuss, but its unwarranted. I have had the pleasure of visiting some of the great promenades in the world, and skaters, bicycles, joggers and pedestrians coexist happy.

In terms of in-line skating, its great cross-exercise for cycling and the route from Moulle Point to Camps Bay and back is .. words fail me. We used to it in the early days, before the patrols were introduced. Perhaps this will spawn a revival.

Note to self: Pack Rollerblades for next trip to CT.

No racing snake is gonna take his weight-weenie velocipede over those rumpty-dumpty paving bricks. It'll be the cruisers on bikes rented from Virgin Active, the tall girl on the Dutch bike, the hipster out to be hip ..

Incidentally, I read in one of the municipal newsletters that you DON'T have to ride on the cycle path. You can use the road even where there is a path.

Yay! The 1.5 metre law is only a month or two away, I hear.

Which VA is this, as I am in Cpt for next week and would love to rent a cruiser, that is if the k@k weather clears up?

Which VA is this, as I am in Cpt for next week and would love to rent a cruiser, that is if the k@k weather clears up?

VA Sea Point / Green point, just by the stadium & green point park

VA Sea Point / Green point, just by the stadium & green point park

:thumbup: Some really nice Cruisers they have for rent there.

Is'nt "Mouille Point" where all the drug lords and pimps hangout ? :ph34r:

Not the last time I looked, its gone distinctly up market.