29'er... why super wide bars?

Azonic

Ok I get it that there might/is a belief that if you have bigger wheels there is an extra gyroscopic effect and that might need wider bars (leverage) to get the wheel to turn direction.

But, damn, really?

When I built my 29'er, the cockpit I took over from another bike (26er) that I stripped down. The handlebars were 565mm (and also old 25.4mm bars) if I measured it correctly. I see some (local) guys are selling bars that are up to 710mm wide. I've put the bike though enduros which obviously does not require wide bars, but also VERY tight singletrack and have never had issues with leverage, etc. I'd think moerse wide bars would actually be a hindrance?

There some other advantage I'm missing?

• Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Have you tried a nice average width bar (700-710mm) with a short stem .... think nice and snappy steering.

Give it a try and I am sure you will never look back.

Just a question, are you a skinny / narrow shouldered guy or rugby player shoulder width?

It looks cool haha. On my 26er I had 560mm on, upgraded to 600mm just to accommodate bar ends. Used the bar ends a lot, especially when hammering the climbs. Now on my 29er I have a 680mm and don't miss the bar ends.

One thing tho, a wide bar can be very uncomfortable if it does not have proper backwards and upwards sweep.

The norm on the new bikes seems to be 640mm for 26er and 680/690mm for 29er.

565mm... eish! I bet your thumbs could almost touch if you extended them while holding onto that bar!

and 710mm is not really that wide.

Whilst I cannot comment on 29ers, I can say that my narrowest bars are 700mm (on a 4X bike), 740mm on my AM bike and 780mm on my DH bike.

I can also say that after riding either of the 2 bikes with wider bars then getting on the 4X bike, 700mm feels narrow.

Whide doesn't only mean more leverage... it slows ones steering down, allowing one to make more acurate and less twitchy movements.

Put it this way, if one pushes on their 565mm bars with their left hand and moves that hand 100mm forward, they will change the wheel's direction by approx 21deg

If the same movement was repeated on a 710mm bars, the wheel would change direction by approx 16deg.

5deg is quite a big difference in steering direction.

So basically, one doesn't need to be as "precise" with their movement when steering on a wider bar

Edited by patches

I had 680`s on my 26` when I built it over to a 29` it just felt to narrow.

I now run a 720 on a 29 full suss - never had issues - did Cullinan and fitted through the tunnel - even the tight last single track coming form fountains ending up at the gate to Groenkloof - its tight but I make it through.

My mate did the same thight route and got stuck with a 640 bar. All in riding style I guess.

@ Patches

26'er - 710mm bars, but I would love to go to the 730-760mm mark with this bike

29'er - 700mm bars. I had the 710's on there before and it felt good. So soon I will just "upgrade" the 26'er and hand down the 710's to the SS

@ Cav

580mm ...... ishwenna. Is this fitted to a short or long stem on your bike?

Bars are all about pref and fit .

Dont just put wide bars on cause everyone else is . ride what you feel is most comfi for you .

Bars are all about pref and fit .

Dont just put wide bars on cause everyone else is . ride what you feel is most comfi for you .

Very diplomatic Iron, but let's remember it is Friday and diplomacy is out the window with logical thinking.

Besides the gyroscopic effect, its also the larger contact patch of a 29er tire. This contact patch is bigger because of the larger wheel, but also added to this is the fact that the 29er tire is suited to running less psi. All this points to more leverage required in turning = wider bars.

Edited by Berg Bok

Besides the gyroscopic effect, its also the larger contact patch of a 29er tire. This contact patch is bigger because of the larger wheel, but also added to this is the fact that the 29er tire is suited to running less psi. All this points to more leverage required in turning = wider bars.

Please explain this logic to me?

specially designed for 29ers .... the 1m wide Syncros Bar!

http://brimages.bikeboardmedia.netdna-cdn.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/09/a6df4573-2342-4b5f-837a-5bc134c2bce1img-0220.jpg

All this points to more leverage required in turning = wider bars.

Wider bars are not for leverage, it is to slow the steering down. If you require more leverage on your handlebar to handle your bike, rather go for a skills course.

Edited by Brian Fantana