CT route to Milnerton in the afternoon

Steffi

Steffi, I also cycle but am a bit inconsistent with time that I leave office. Will look out for you.

Don't use the N1. As a beginner that is not way to go. And besides why do we have a cycle path?

• Replies 33
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Steffi, I also cycle but am a bit inconsistent with time that I leave office. Will look out for you.

Don't use the N1. As a beginner that is not way to go. And besides why do we have a cycle path?

Thanx, ja I know the cycle lane is there for the safety purposes for cyclists but it's not safe when you're on your own, bigger risks out there than being knocked over. I could be mugged and/or raped, not cool if you ask me

Who skiems the N1 is safer? People drive like idiots but its actually making mor sense to go that way if I'm on my own as apposed to being potentially mugged and or worse :'( not cool hey

I don't commute on the bike everyday, but on the way home I take the N1 route. The shoulder is very wide so the cars don't really trouble you. As mentioned before, the Woodstock offramp is where you need to pay attention, but again I have not had any troubles.

At the time you leave the traffic should be fairly heavy, which means the cars travel slower and you can more easily navigate that intersection.

So Steffi have you taken the route along the N1 yet? If so, how did it go?

Hey

I'm still hesitant on taking the N1 on my own, get some crazy drivers out there so I've avoided that route. I'm still taking the cycle route and very happy that they've fixed the fence! Fortunately, my bf's mom is leaving work earlier in the afternoons now to accompany me for the journey home, safer that way. Still wishing this windy weather would calm down now, it kills me lol

Great, I am glad to hear that!

I was going to offer to take you through the N1 section, but I only commute by bike twice a week (usually Tuesdays and Thursdays) and my times leaving work varies quite a lot. Give me a shout if you need someone to guide you through the N1 route.

Hey

I'm still hesitant on taking the N1 on my own, get some crazy drivers out there so I've avoided that route. I'm still taking the cycle route and very happy that they've fixed the fence! Fortunately, my bf's mom is leaving work earlier in the afternoons now to accompany me for the journey home, safer that way. Still wishing this windy weather would calm down now, it kills me lol

Bad news for you dear, the wind only start blowing now. Only way we know Summer is here, is when the SE starts blowing.

Don't worry, took me almost three years to make peace with the wind. I keep on telling myself (inbetween the cursing) that the wind can only make you stronger.

Yeah, the thing is, you only know the wind makes you stronger when there is no wind.

Will have to wait for winter...

Hi

Do the cycle lane most days between 4.30 and 5.30pm wait near the security gaurds at the Train Lodge as most guys pass through there.Fence at the bridge has been repaired.Metro cops very active along the section through to Paarden eiland.Lights still out from tunnel under N1 to Lower Church st early morning.

Can't remember who informed Helen Zille about the problem, seems she got the police/metro involved and had he gap repaired, how about following up on the original tweet with a thanks.

thank you's goes along ways.

G

Great, I am glad to hear that!

I was going to offer to take you through the N1 section, but I only commute by bike twice a week (usually Tuesdays and Thursdays) and my times leaving work varies quite a lot. Give me a shout if you need someone to guide you through the N1 route.

thanks a ton!! will definitely keep it in mind, I'm cycling to work Tue, Wed + Thu... Take a break on Monday's from the long rides over the weekends and Fridays I leave work early so I take my car in then, always nice getting home early on a friday :)

Bad news for you dear, the wind only start blowing now. Only way we know Summer is here, is when the SE starts blowing.

Don't worry, took me almost three years to make peace with the wind. I keep on telling myself (inbetween the cursing) that the wind can only make you stronger.

Yup, still coming to terms with it, gonna take me some time to get used to, but I love summer so I cant complain really..

Just sucks when you're riding head on into 40km gusts of wind peddling at your strongest and you're still not really getting anywhere LOL

The wind is a real factor but the way the wind blows and the route turn it into any amazing situation. When you cycle in during the morning the first 3 quarters are into the wind with the run from the N1 into town being your cool down. When you leave work it's the other way round and the biggest portion of the return leg the wind is on your back!!! Then it's time trial mode! Keep it up and the legs will just get stronger every day as the fun ride season grows towards the Argus.

The biggest lesson with cycling in the wind is to always be aware of gusts of wind. And then of cause the fact that you waste your energy to try and fight the wind. Accept that you will go slower and just keep on cycling. It is like swimming, you are not stronger that water so don't fight it.

And you will become stronger. Amost like cycling uphill all the time

The biggest lesson with cycling in the wind is to always be aware of gusts of wind. And then of cause the fact that you waste your energy to try and fight the wind. Accept that you will go slower and just keep on cycling. It is like swimming, you are not stronger that water so don't fight it.

And you will become stronger. Amost like cycling uphill all the time

so true thumbup1.gif