PYGA vs SPECIALIZED epic

johanlouw

I have been looking at the difference between the Epic and Tallboy, and have spoken with a number of guys that have ended up very happily on the Santa Cruz instead of the Spez. Apparently the Tallboy feels like a trail bike, but is fast like a XC racer..

The PYGA seems to be heavier to begin with (heresay), which makes it very expensive to get light with component upgrades.

I also looked at the Tallboy, without a doubt a awesome bike, but the problem is the price. Tallboy frame- R 25k vs Pyga - R16k. So R9k to upgrade with

• Replies 105
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I've updated my table to include a few other bikes that might be comparable.

Bike      |HA  |TT |WB  |CS |FRONT|REAR |
Yeti SB95 |68.5|587|1140|445|120mm|127mm|
Genius 900|69  |600|1143|448|130mm|130mm|
Stumpy    |69  |596|1148|450|130mm|130mm|
Mach429   |69.2|607|1131|450|120mm|100mm|
Tallboy LT|69.5|584|1113|453|140mm|140mm|
Pyga      |69.5|590|1126|440|120mm|110mm|
TranceX   |69.5|594|1120|452|120mm|120mm|
Tracer    |70  |597|1168|450|140mm|140mm|
Cube AMS  |70  |597|1130|450|120mm|120mm|
Camber    |70  |587|1147|447|110mm|110mm|
Spark     |70.1|598|1112|448|100mm|100mm|
RIP9      |70.5|603|1131|455|120mm|120mm|
Epic      |70.5|589|1109|448|100mm|100mm|
Element   |70.6|605|1120|445|100mm|95mm |
AnthemX   |71  |592|1080|460|100mm|100mm|
Tallboy   |71  |584|1082|445|100mm|100mm|

Some of them can be run with longer forks than above, eg the Tallboy and Element are comfortable with a 120mm fork, which obviously slackens the angles a bit.

So there are lots of choices. Any of them would be good for trail riding, with the sweet spot probably being those with 120/130mm travel. The longer the front travel, the taller the headtube, and the more likely you'll have problems controlling it on steep climbs.

For marathon riding you're looking for something with efficient suspension, so that generally favours the bikes with less travel and/or with effective pedalling platform in the suspension. Also you'll probably want something designed around a longer top tube so that you don't sit too upright.

At the end of the day though, its not only about the numbers - everyone's body dimensions are different shapes, so some bikes might fit better than others.

This is a very interesting comparison and for the first time all the stuff about TT,HA etc makes sense. This would be a very good topic/article to read in Bicycling magazine.

what are you riding now? is it a fancy ass 26" or a medium range one, only ask this because it affects how awesome the pyga was for you.

Average to low spec 26" hardtail

Does anyone else find it quite interesting that if you chuck a 120mm on the element, you will most likely end up in the realm of the pyga or trance X 29er...

These two are on my short list for when I choose to pull the trigger on my first 29er dually!

Going to test ride some demo Rocky Mountains soon hopefully! Looking forward to it!

clap.gif

The element with a longer travel fork may just be a nice stable marathon bike!

The Element BC Edition comes stock with a 120mm fork and a dropper post - http://element.bikes.com/en/models/

Does anyone else find it quite interesting that if you chuck a 120mm on the element, you will most likely end up in the realm of the pyga or trance X 29er...

These two are on my short list for when I choose to pull the trigger on my first 29er dually!

Going to test ride some demo Rocky Mountains soon hopefully! Looking forward to it!

clap.gif

The element with a longer travel fork may just be a nice stable marathon bike!

Design in Motion Cycles

011 7844264

Morningside.

Ask for Kelly.

G

Which shops are selling the pyga in jhb?

The pyga is in a class of its own. Loving mine. Had an anthem x1 29 er , rode a spez epic and this is still inspires confidence like no other. On the heavy side 12.5 kg but once riding the weight is so well distributed u don't feel it..responsive acceleration, amazing control, comfortable for long rides yet nimble thru tight corners.

Great bike guys..go experience it for yourselves.

@niterider thanks for the table i think that sums things up quite nicely.

I've been shopping around for 'the perfect'(subjective to riding style of course) 29er myself over the past few months and in all honesty i don't think the pyga oneten29 is the best, its pretty good, but there are definitely other bikes that are quite a bit better in terms of balance.

One thing the pyga has, which is great is really short chain-stays, this will give it great handling in the tight stuff, and this is exactly where the Trance x falls short, as it doesn't really have such short-chain stays; 452 is longer even than a stumpjumpers 450 mm chain stays.

The closest comparison would be a Camber. I think a camber will be slightly lighter though considering its carbon and generally has a light cross country type 110m fork (reba/sid/float).

Also bare in mind that a 70 degree(Camber) head angle on a 29er is already pretty slack, so 69.5(Oneten29) may be too slack if you are planning on doing a lot of cross country riding.

So basically, the Pyga oneten29 will probably be better than the Epic on the tight technical stuff, but I have no doubt in my mind that the FSR suspension combined with the brain shock will provide a much more stable pedaling platform and be faster on the climbs, also the epic will be lighter, in s-works guise much lighter!

I'd say, assess what you want to use the bike for, in terms of trail riding or xc. The camber is a well balanced bike, that also has short chain stays and probably the best 29er geometry around along with the likes of the two tallboys.

I'd say if you want a light xc/trail bike that isn't too biased to either type of riding, go for the camber or tallboy.

I've opted for the Camber! thumbup1.gif

Think if you're going to fiddle with the weight, wheels are #1, #2 and #3. Anywhere else on the bike and losing a kg or two around the belly will have more effect.

i am not fiddling with anything! just stated my bike's weight and my current wheel setup which i am very happy with - the original post asked for a 11.9kg which can be obtained by upgrading seat post, handlebar, stem etc, of a standard anthem advanced or leaving the standard tyres and not swopping the tyres for snakeskins.

the standard wheels are 1.7kg which is pretty good considering what you have to spend to get a 1.7kg wheelset for 29er...

With xo, revelation and arch X should be able to get it to weigh in at 11.5 ish or there abouts which is not bad for a full suss. Also the thing climbs and seems to put power down so efficiently I did not even notice the weight

From http://www.bikeradar.com/mtb/gear/category/bikes/mountain/product/review-pyga-industries-oneten29-46488

The OneTen29 isn't especially feathery on the scale, however. Our test bike was built with a mix of SRAM X9/X7 components, correspondingly light ancillary gear, a RockShox Revelation RCT3 fork and bantamweight Stan's NoTubes Arch 29er rims. Even when factoring in the useful RockShox Reverb dropper seatpost, the total package was a somewhat average 13.02kg (28.7lb) without pedals.

Niterider, hence my topic and question. That table and last post helps me alot in deciding which bike suits my needs. It is very difficult to get hold of demo bikes so a person relies on good advice like this. It's about balancing the enjoyment factor with the competitive streak we all have. CL, I tested a Pyga with Stans Crest rims and Rock shox Revelation and I was very impressed. It is fun to ride and absorbs the bumps like nobodies business! I was most impressed by the way it climbs.

How tall are you?

From http://www.bikeradar...-oneten29-46488

The OneTen29 isn't especially feathery on the scale, however. Our test bike was built with a mix of SRAM X9/X7 components, correspondingly light ancillary gear, a RockShox Revelation RCT3 fork and bantamweight Stan's NoTubes Arch 29er rims. Even when factoring in the useful RockShox Reverb dropper seatpost, the total package was a somewhat average 13.02kg (28.7lb) without pedals.

Thanks Crow, when I eventually make a decision i'm hoping to build my PYGA up at around 12.5 (without dropper)

Thanks Crow, when I eventually make a decision i'm hoping to build my PYGA up at around 12.5 (without dropper)

Hi I have a large dual with nothing carbon on my bike and it's around 12,4kg. The suspension is like nothing I've ever experienced and i suspect that carries the bulk of he weight. Yes it's great to have tables and charts to show different lengths etc and all the technical stuff..but when u actually The bike thats what counts..read the reviews of people who have ridden the different bikes and hear what they say..Johan..u thinking too much..if you enjoyed the Pyga buy it..u can't go wrong..the more you delve into all technical stuff which probably apply to 10% of us weekend warriors..u confuse yourself more. Good luck..don't over think your purchase

Archived