advice on first bike

phoenix99

Hi all

I haven't ridden a bike for a good 8 years and I'd like to get started again for fitness and general enjoyment. I need some advice on what to buy as a beginner. Looking for an MTB mainly road use but also a bit of trail.

Found this at makro...any good?

http://www.makro.co.za/p/28323/totem-xc300-mountain-bike/

If not... any other suggestions for what to get?

Budget I'm not too sure about but i don't want to break the bank. just looking for a decent entry level bike to get me started

Thanks!

Hi all

I haven't ridden a bike for a good 8 years and I'd like to get started again for fitness and general enjoyment. I need some advice on what to buy as a beginner. Looking for an MTB mainly road use but also a bit of trail.

Found this at makro...any good?

http://www.makro.co....-mountain-bike/

If not... any other suggestions for what to get?

Budget I'm not too sure about but i don't want to break the bank. just looking for a decent entry level bike to get me started

Thanks!

Firstly welcome to the Hub and enjoy your stay.

The Hub is a good place to ask such questions. On the bike from Makro, the answer is a big "NO!". Don't waste your time or money.

You can get an entry level bike from a good bike store for between R2500 - R5000. You need something where you can upgrade the parts. If you could extend your budget to R10K then it gets much better.

Also you need to factor in your helmet and other kit and this can be from R200 to R2K.

Hi Phoenix, welcome here.

I'll be brief by agreeing with Christopher B, he gave you good advice. I think R4000 is a sweet spot for value for money beginners bikes. Giants are generally very good value and quality.

Get down to your nearest LBS and get a feel for entry level bike prices and specs.

Do not compromise on frame and fork. The rest will wear out and will be replaced or upgraded over your first year.

You will also support from your LBS if you choose them wisely. You're in Cape Town, theres a few pretty good LBS around. Whereabouts are you exactly?

Thanks for the advice...and for clarifying LBS! I honestly don't want to spend more than R3000 so I think the giant would be a good option. I live in Kenilworth. Any decent shops nearby? Also will they advise me on correct size? I'm quite tall.

Thanks for the advice...and for clarifying LBS! I honestly don't want to spend more than R3000 so I think the giant would be a good option. I live in Kenilworth. Any decent shops nearby? Also will they advise me on correct size? I'm quite tall.

Crown Cycles and Olympic Cycles, both are in Landsdowne Road, just around the corner from you. Both have a decent range of bikes in stock. Tell them you are looking for something between R2500 and R3000 and let them show you what they have. Negotiate for the best deal and see if they'll throw in any extras. Remember helmet, cycling shorts, pump and spare tube.

Firstly welcome to the Hub and enjoy your stay.

The Hub is a good place to ask such questions. On the bike from Makro, the answer is a big "NO!". Don't waste your time or money.

You can get an entry level bike from a good bike store for between R2500 - R5000. You need something where you can upgrade the parts. If you could extend your budget to R10K then it gets much better.

Also you need to factor in your helmet and other kit and this can be from R200 to R2K.

This is a very nice beginners bike for R3K. I started on a similar bike in 2009 and still have it as my only bike. Did upgrades as needed.

http://www.cwcycles....t/giant-revel-4

http://www.on-one.co.uk/bikes

they having a special on the inbred. Ask for slot drop outs if you can for versatility. Remember we don't pay UK vat but rather RSA vat and customs, shich is about 10% on retail (UK).

+1 CB pretty much spot on & you in CPT aswell,just get it from CWC.

Cant fall off @ that price.

http://www.cwcycles.co.za/sites/default/files/imagecache/product-holder/product_images/revel-3-disc_red.jpg

Next 1 up the Revel 3 has disk brakes so is abit better,but that 3.8k,so when you start getting close to the 5k mark,you can pretty much pick & choose most entry lvl MTB's @ that price region :thumbup:

I noticed these have 80mm forks ,try get something with 100mm :thumbup:

Sure CWC can swop the fork to 100m for a fee when you buy . :)

Hi there Pheonix

Have you looked in the classifieds on this website?

If you want a brand new bike I would go with Christophers advice

Like 2Nutz said Chris Willemse Cycles in Belville is always a great bet. Check their goodies online. The drive there from Kenilworth takes 30 minutes, but hey, you get to visit another country, some would say another world.