Trailer buying advice

Bat-ass

• Replies 38
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I bought a Jurgens BT 547 (I didn't want a 6ft trailer, otherwise I would have bought the BT670) for about R7500 18 months ago. The addition of the cross bars on the lid was about R400 extra and I bought Thule bike racks to fit ontop for about R1500 per bike. (I had a system similar to the one in the pic above, but it was not nearly as solid as the Thule Proride system, so I ditched it)

I preferred the Jurgens as it has independent suspension (handy for dirt roads) and the trailer carries a very good anti rust guarantee. A good trailer will last about 20 years if you look after it properly. A cheap one will last 5 years if you are lucky. Not saying all cheap trailers are bad, but look carefully what you are buying. At the time the Challenger came with 4 blade leaf spring suspension vs the independent rubber suspension on my Jurgens, so if you like your martini shaken, not stirred, when towing on a dirt road, get the cheaper model.

I bought a Jurgens BT 547 (I didn't want a 6ft trailer, otherwise I would have bought the BT670) for about R7500 18 months ago. The addition of the cross bars on the lid was about R400 extra and I bought Thule bike racks to fit ontop for about R1500 per bike. (I had a system similar to the one in the pic above, but it was not nearly as solid as the Thule Proride system, so I ditched it)

I preferred the Jurgens as it has independent suspension (handy for dirt roads) and the trailer carries a very good anti rust guarantee. A good trailer will last about 20 years if you look after it properly. A cheap one will last 5 years if you are lucky. Not saying all cheap trailers are bad, but look carefully what you are buying. At the time the Challenger came with 4 blade leaf spring suspension vs the independent rubber suspension on my Jurgens, so if you like your martini shaken, not stirred, when towing on a dirt road, get the cheaper model.

Had the same one for 14 months now....and it is properly stable. also paid around R7 500,00 at Campworld.

Had the same one for 14 months now....and it is properly stable. also paid around R7 500,00 at Campworld.

I have the LT670. Very nice :thumbup: :thumbup: Edited by LOOK695

Thanks Guys... Im In Durban.

Was considering venter, but think im going to look at the Jurgens you speak of!!

Who are the jurgens dealers? Campworld?

[quote

Why did you guys go for the BT model? and not the LT style one? whats the pro's and con's?

Why did you guys go for the BT model? and not the LT style one? whats the pro's and con's?

One is price. The LT "looks" nice, but its not square like the BT models and was more expensive. I'm a bit OCD and my gear is packed in ammo boxes (labelled and catalogued, I know...its sad) I can pack 4 x ammo boxes and 2 x cooler boxes in the bottom and the tents and gear on top. The cross bars for the lid also looked better on the BT model as it has a bigger surface to fix it to the lid.

Also look for things like spare wheels that should be included. Often the cheapies dont have the basics like spare wheels and when you add these in the price difference is minimal.

Thanks Guys... Im In Durban.

Was considering venter, but think im going to look at the Jurgens you speak of!!

Who are the jurgens dealers? Campworld?

Bought mine at Camp World. They also sorted out registration etc for me so I didn't have to waste a 1/2 day at the traffic dept to get the thing registered and number plates made.

Thanks, I think Campworld it is!!

Have a look at the Strides website and there you will see the Jurgens LT670 fitted with a Strides bike carrier. When I bought my LT670, I removed the standard lights and fitted LED lights. The trailer has plenty of space for your luggage Edited by LOOK695

Slight high jack: I have a Thule towbar-mounting euro rack (the one where the bikes stand on a platform). If I use a trailer, would it be possible / advisable / stupid to mount a cheap tow bar at the back of the trailer and carry bikes behind it instead of in top? Has anyone done it? Could save some money (no new rack on top o trailer needed). And I could use trailer and bike rack simultaneously.

Slight high jack: I have a Thule towbar-mounting euro rack (the one where the bikes stand on a platform). If I use a trailer, would it be possible / advisable / stupid to mount a cheap tow bar at the back of the trailer and carry bikes behind it instead of in top? Has anyone done it? Could save some money (no new rack on top o trailer needed). And I could use trailer and bike rack simultaneously.

I had a friend who did this and complained about how "jiggly" it was.

Something about how a trailer "bounces" quite a bit and caused the bikes to jump around.

But that was just one opinion...not sure if others have tried.