Are roadies really THAT cool?

NotSoBigBen

must have been a long time cyclists. The new generation of cyclist is not that helpful.

I've paid it forward many times and have had people stop to offer help many times, but I've seen so many "newbie" cyclists that dont even grunt a hello when they see you.

The coolest thing for me as a lightie was my dad and I cycling out to eikenhof one sunday on my brand new Alipna and having just about every other rider wave or say hello. That has stuck in my mind forever.

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Well, I've only been cycling for about a month now and I must say, everyone's real friendly and helpful ! I've gotten 3 punctures so far and there have always been "roadies" who wanna help.

Roadies aren't "cool", Roadies are AWESOME B)

And what's this 'fued' the MTB'ers have against roadies? This is still all quite new to me and I find it quite amusing really :lol:

The feud is simple really; it's that mtb riders who use 26 inch wheels and wear shorts are proper riders; whereas 29er riders and roadies have no clue about personal style, lack skills to ride proper trails and especially roadies, feel the need to impose their grotesque attire on innocent people. Lets also not forget that ex-roadies take to 29ers and through total lack of skill, expect our trails to be watered down to their potential.

Enjoying a nice Sunday breakfast? Not for long...in walks a roadie, stinking of sweat, still wearing a helmet, clacking on the floor, nuts in your face.

Here is just one example for you (yes, he IS a total asshole) http://www.2oceansvibe.com/2010/11/24/absolute-no-no/

Roadies talk much more than MTB ers. It's why they are in pooh for riding abreast all the time. Why you think they do that?

The feud is simple really; it's that mtb riders who use 26 inch wheels and wear shorts are proper riders; whereas 29er riders and roadies have no clue about personal style, lack skills to ride proper trails and especially roadies, feel the need to impose their grotesque attire on innocent people. Lets also not forget that ex-roadies take to 29ers and through total lack of skill, expect our trails to be watered down to their potential.

Enjoying a nice Sunday breakfast? Not for long...in walks a roadie, stinking of sweat, still wearing a helmet, clacking on the floor, nuts in your face.

Here is just one example for you (yes, he IS a total asshole) http://www.2oceansvi...absolute-no-no/

That photo is absolutely shocking. I agree with you. It hurts.

That is definitely not the way to sit on your top tube. It should be done as such:

post-35769-0-40709200-1350463735_thumb.png

Roadies talk much more than MTB ers. It's why they are in pooh for riding abreast all the time. Why you think they do that?

Leaders lead, followers follow, friends ride next to each other!

must have been a long time cyclists. The new generation of cyclist people is are not that helpful.

Fixed.

That's not to bad. I'm sure they will pick up rather soon.

Did you get invited to go on a ride?

Well the messages were in connection with a cycle partner to ride with me on the paarden island route in the afternoons after work, for safety reasons. The meet up time is just a slight issue though.

No formal group ride invites though, still a beginner anyways so I wouldnt wanna keep people waiting for me, my average speed is getting better now though, between 18-20kmph.

Well the messages were in connection with a cycle partner to ride with me on the paarden island route in the afternoons after work, for safety reasons. The meet up time is just a slight issue though.

No formal group ride invites though, still a beginner anyways so I wouldnt wanna keep people waiting for me, my average speed is getting better now though, between 18-20kmph.

There are packs of people who ride at different paces, stay on thehub, keep an eye out for organized rides.

No, hayley fixes her own - she is not dependant on anyone for fixing anything....but in a real Lady like manner of course.

Enjoy them, I'm sure they will keep rolling in.

Up front warning - this place crawls with vermin

I fix up my own mishaps too, wanted to learn all those things before I even started cycling, hate it when guys dont think a lady cant fix a puncture LOL I will admit, it is kinda difficult :lol:

As for the vermin....I've witnessed some pretty crued things on the hub, but they dont phase me ;)

If you want to ride with other people, just go for an early morning ride on a Saturday, and find a group you can stay with. And tag along. There are loads of cyclists all around Cape Town every weekend, and as you say, they are all friendly :whistling: .

Check out the Tiletoria West Coast fun ride on Sunday, there is a 19km route, I think. If you haven't done a "race" before, that might be fun.

I fix up my own mishaps too, wanted to learn all those things before I even started cycling, hate it when guys dont think a lady cant fix a puncture LOL I will admit, it is kinda difficult :lol:

As for the vermin....I've witnessed some pretty crued things on the hub, but they dont phase me ;)

Then you will be fine - if you ever need any Lady advice, erm...on bikes and stuff, speak to Hayley, she'd love to teach fellow female hubbers a thing.

Here is just one example for you (yes, he IS a total asshole) http://www.2oceansvi...absolute-no-no/

LMFAO. I had such a good laugh now, you're funny!!

Well....Lets not generalize, not AAALLLLLLL roadies are that way....

"Proper shorts" hahahahahaaaaaaaaaa That's hilarious, my boss MTB's and his shorts are the funniest **** EVA!!!!

I wonder what is the correct thing to do when finding yourself in a situation where you only have one spare tube, no cellphone or patch kit and you come across a person with a puncher with no spare tube/tool kit/pump whatsoever?

I will always help were I can, but giving them my spare tube and then what?Still got 30km to ride until I'm home....

Pay it forward.. someone will help you..... :) its karma... unless of course you've been dropped by the group and are out there alone...

Pay it forward.. someone will help you..... :) its karma... unless of course you've been dropped by the group and are out there alone...

i see what you did there....but it wont be me, I'm in JHB. :thumbup: