First Road bike advice Large Rider tight budget

Ryan

Howzit Guys,

I know this question has been asked a million times but I would like to be a bit more specific if I can.

I am 6 ft and weigh an impressive 118 kg give or take a few burgers.

I have recently taken up cycling (three months now) and more specifically Mountain Biking, after swearing blind that I would never cycle in my life. I now admit that I am loving it.

I have planned out the rides/races ( dare I say it ) for 2013 and am looking forward to the Amashova as one of my training rides.

Looking at investing (rather spending) in a Road Bike. Having spent the last few months oooohhing and ahhhing over the latest and greatest and pouring over the classifieds, I think I have picked up a few things to consider, and please correct me if I am wrong here...

1 There are bikes built for speed

2 Bikes built for comfort

3 Bikes for training

4 Bikes for racing

5 etc etc etc...

Here is my Road Bike Bucket list...

1 COMFORT (for riders like me who have a generous distribution of Body Fat in the mid section)

2 QUALITY (within reason Compag Super Record is too much Shimano 105 etc spot on )

3 DURABILITY (Some hectic potholes around my area)

4 COOLNESS Points ( will the chicks dig me...I think they prefer Specialized, Trek, Giant but who knows)

At the heart of my question is this...Can you guys recommend a solid "starter" Road Bike for heavier riders that will not require an upgrade in 6 months in the R 5 - 7k range, and would you recommend anything new or should I go back to prowling the Classifieds of this esteemed Internet presence?

Are there any older bikes that have stood head and shoulders above the rest as a Faithful Stallion of Bigger Boyz?

On behalf of myself and many other gravity and fitness challenged and possbly "UNCOOL" riders out there I thank you!

P.S ...did I mention budget...??

Cheers

Ryan

Waterfall, Durban

Edited by Ryanie

• Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Find a second hand Scott CR1, probably around the R8k bracket.

It is very good quality, and you'll find it comfortable due to the sportive design of the frame (it has a longer head tube).

I'd suggest an aluminium bike. You might find a carbon bike within your price bracket but with your weight I think an aluminum bike would be a better option.

Shimano 105 works well enough.

You also need to look at decent wheels, I'd advise you stay away from Mavic wheels as I've seen them crack with riders of 100kg.

Do you know what size bike you need ?

Thanks guys I am looking for 55 / 56 cm (56 to be exact) Seat Tube... Not sure of the Top Tube though

Yes the CR1 is a well known bike that covers such a broad spectrum of riding requirements. Not sure how long you're gonna have to hang out and wait to have one come up in your price range that's also your size!

There are some good deals around with new stock arriving and last years brand new models being sold off to cover the cost. You could find a very decent deal that will match all your requirements by keeping your eye open on the 2012 stock that gets clearance pricing.

Look for stores getting rid of old to make way for new stock, there is not much new for 105 at your range but you could pick up a bargain otherwise 2nd hand is an option. At your weight make sure you have a good set of wheels otherwise you will be spending a fortune on repairs.

Aluminium would be the way to go considering durability, weight and budget. Once you hit below 100 kgs you can switch to carbon. Look at something like a Scott Speedster with 105, I think its the S20. Comes with a carbon fork and the head tube is quite tall. I am 1.85 and ride a large. You might be looking at an XL but get a proper Ergo or BG fit for setup as it will make a huge difference in terms of comfort.

Much appreciated MC are you saying get sized up first with Ergo or BG first or get bike within my size range then get Ergo (dumbass I know) ?

Edited by Ryanie

Thanks guys I am looking for 55 / 56 cm (56 to be exact) Seat Tube... Not sure of the Top Tube though

Your 1st step needs to be a fitment or at least to find out what size you need.

There are some websites that can help with this as a starting point.

For me the top tube measurement is more important, as some manufactures (like Giant) make very compact frames.

A Giant small has a seat tube of 46cm but a top tube of 52cm.

A Specialized small has a seat tube of 52cm and a top tube of 52.5cm.

These measurements vary from manufacture to manufacture and from year model to year model.

If I went for a BG/Ergo fitment would they be able to give me size specs for both MTB and Road?

I'd suggest an aluminium bike. You might find a carbon bike within your price bracket but with your weight I think an aluminum bike would be a better option.

Shimano 105 works well enough.

You also need to look at decent wheels, I'd advise you stay away from Mavic wheels as I've seen them crack with riders of 100kg.

Do you know what size bike you need ?

What wheels would you recommend CW?

Howzit Guys,

I know this question has been asked a million times but I would like to be a bit more specific if I can.

I am 6 ft and weigh an impressive 118 kg give or take a few burgers.

I have recently taken up cycling (three months now) and more specifically Mountain Biking, after swearing blind that I would never cycle in my life. I now admit that I am loving it.

I have planned out the rides/races ( dare I say it ) for 2013 and am looking forward to the Amashova as one of my training rides.

Looking at investing (rather spending) in a Road Bike. Having spent the last few months oooohhing and ahhhing over the latest and greatest and pouring over the classifieds, I think I have picked up a few things to consider, and please correct me if I am wrong here...

1 There are bikes built for speed

2 Bikes built for comfort

3 Bikes for training

4 Bikes for racing

5 etc etc etc...

Here is my Road Bike Bucket list...

1 COMFORT (for riders like me who have a generous distribution of Body Fat in the mid section)

2 QUALITY (within reason Compag Super Record is too much Shimano 105 etc spot on )

3 DURABILITY (Some hectic potholes around my area)

4 COOLNESS Points ( will the chicks dig me...I think they prefer Specialized, Trek, Giant but who knows)

At the heart of my question is this...Can you guys recommend a solid "starter" Road Bike for heavier riders that will not require an upgrade in 6 months in the R 5 - 7k range, and would you recommend anything new or should I go back to prowling the Classifieds of this esteemed Internet presence?

Are there any older bikes that have stood head and shoulders above the rest as a Faithful Stallion of Bigger Boyz?

On behalf of myself and many other gravity and fitness challenged and possbly "UNCOOL" riders out there I thank you!

P.S ...did I mention budget...??

Cheers

Ryan

Waterfall, Durban

I think a 56 / 58 would be good.

I have a KTM strada 3000 size 58, but also a cannondale supersix carbon sizr 56 which is about the same, I think it has to do with the different brands.

I am also looking at selling the KTM if You dont come right.

I think a 56 / 58 would be good.

I have a KTM strada 3000 size 58, but also a cannondale supersix carbon sizr 56 which is about the same, I think it has to do with the different brands.

I am also looking at selling the KTM if You dont come right.

Oh sorry, I am also 1.82, 123kg, I know overweight.....