Something's slowing me down...

Sandro

Truth be told I have never trained that much, always averaged 100 to 180km per week made of 75 to 120 on a weekend and two smaller rides or spinning sessions during the week so safe to say I don't think I've ever overtrained.

How many hours do you ride per week on average?

Personally I think you're using your age as a scape goat, it must be something else...

• Replies 44
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

How many hours do you ride per week on average?

Personally I think you're using your age as a scape goat, it must be something else...

5 to 6 hours

5 to 6 hours

That is not a lot of training, so you'll have to make sure to make every minute count for as much as possible. Have clear goals for each session.

Also, if cycling is the only thing you do - no cross training / strength, etc - maybe consider adding some of that? Work on your weak spots (the exercises you hate doing!)

I didn't ride at all during 2011 after that 94.7 and ended up entering the 2011 one at the last minute, my bike only landed a few days before so that was an exact year without training and the beginning of training again.

Wouldn't this be a major contributing factor? Why did you stop riding for a whole year? Did you do anything else in that time?

That is not a lot of training, so you'll have to make sure to make every minute count for as much as possible. Have clear goals for each session.

Also, if cycling is the only thing you do - no cross training / strength, etc - maybe consider adding some of that? Work on your weak spots (the exercises you hate doing!)

Ok I dont only cycle, I also train gym (strength training) 4 or 5 times a week and I play action soccer for 60 to 90 minutes on a Saturday.

Don't discount the bike setup.

After 15 years of riding my bike was always setup by myself, I never saw the need to get it done.

2 weeks back I got my LBS to set up my bike for me due to constant neck and shoulder pain.

The difference in strength on the bike due to lower saddle height (now keeping my hips level) and shorter stem is amazing. I'm easily dropping my cycling partner who used to be keep up no matter what.

How long have you been riding with the compact cranks(50/48?) and a 12/25 Cassette

and why?

Does not sound like overtraining but that also depends on your lifestyle on a whole i.e. stress, amount of sleep, diet... if your working 12 hrs a day and sleeping 6hrs then doing +/- 150 km per week could be excessive.

In all honesty your training regime (averaged 100 to 180km per week made of 75 to 120 on a weekend and two smaller rides or spinning sessions during the week) is not ideal if you want to maintain a +/- 2h50 94.7 type time, how much of your training is dedicated to proper LT and higher type efforts?

Ok I dont only cycle, I also train gym (strength training) 4 or 5 times a week and I play action soccer for 60 to 90 minutes on a Saturday.

There you go problem found, not enough R+R and specific training. Rather cycle 5 times per week and do 1 gym session per week, gym aint gonna help you ride fast over a 2 - 3hr period. Action soccer is also pretty hard, and not ideal for cycling and your recovery.

Edited by SwissVan

And what do I use as goals? Heart rate? Distance? Time?

From the three, I'd say heart rate & time. Add some form (cadence) to it. Difficult to do that when riding in groups. Another option would be to chase Strava segments (not every single one out there, but select a few for each ride) - it will serve as good intervals, without the utter boredom and rigour of a formal 8minte hard, 4 recover type of setup

And intervals, bring in some 1-1.5hr high intensity effort workouts. Start with 1 min max sprints , 3min rest , do 6-8 in a session.

6 hours a week + 4 or 5 time a week gym + 60 to 90min of soccer could easily result in being overtrained. The thing youy need to remember is overtraining does not always mean you are suddenly doing more, it also happens when you don't rest enough. Base training if very important.

Look your performance might be going down due to a number of factors. I'd look at what changed.

1. New bike. If the new bike is the issue, you would most probably have seen a big drop in your performance from the first few days on the new bike. Keep in mind you would not have been used to the new setup if the geomitry changed so you would have noticed new muscle strains fairly soon, even on your first long ride.

2. Smoking. I've never really smoked so I can't comment on that, but I would think this should not impact you. I know some people's diets change when they stop smoking but you didn't mention this so I am disregarding it.

3. Training pattern. You mentioned that previously you never trained all the way through winter. This would have given your body the rest it required. Training non stop will eventually run your body down. It also depends on the effort level that you train at but you did not really give us enough info there so I assume you've maintained a simular effort level. This could very well be the culprit or at least a contributing factor.

This is just my opinion and I might very well be completely wrong. However if it was me I'd start to look at my training intensity and rest. Follow a good training program. IMO all good training programs start with a base period.

Ps- sorry about the spelling. I can't spel to save my life :P

Edited by Mr SingleTrack

Thanks guys, appreciate it! So less gym and soccer and more time on the bike, makes sense. One thing I do notice is that I feel the strain in my legs way more than I do from a breathing point of view. I also ride at a pretty high cadence (average about 80)

Now as far as compact cranks are concerned, I've only had them on this bike and ridden with them for the last year, I know they're quite common these days but what is your take on them? I'm not convinced myself.

From the three, I'd say heart rate & time. Add some form (cadence) to it. Difficult to do that when riding in groups. Another option would be to chase Strava segments (not every single one out there, but select a few for each ride) - it will serve as good intervals, without the utter boredom and rigour of a formal 8minte hard, 4 recover type of setup

Strava segments?

Strava segments?

Only if you have a GPS cycling computer. www.strava.com

mark a section/stretch of road and everytime somebody does it it records & rank that performance. Can mark your own segments/rides private too

Thanks guys, appreciate it! So less gym and soccer and more time on the bike, makes sense. One thing I do notice is that I feel the strain in my legs way more than I do from a breathing point of view. I also ride at a pretty high cadence (average about 80)

Now as far as compact cranks are concerned, I've only had them on this bike and ridden with them for the last year, I know they're quite common these days but what is your take on them? I'm not convinced myself.

I avg a bit higher cadence wise, and got rid of compacts as the bunches (A/B) rode away from me on the flats, forcing my cadence (and heart rate) through the roof causing me to blow. My avg candence did drop dramatically when I built up a new bike and had the saddle too high. Sorted that out with a professional fitment. So there is lots of merit in having a pro look at your setup!