cape pioneer platinum upgrade package

Colin (bigC)

I was also disappointed at the organizers for just the standard race package.

hardly any food, food that tasted like canned dog food, dismal waterpoints with no clue how to fill a bottle. zero tech zones or assistance. Seeding, but one mass start everyday that everyone jumps behind the neutral car...the list goes on

I had a very different experience at last year's pioneer:

Food - We received enough carbs and protein to feed an army. Some variety on the Veg front would have been nice though. KKI is one of the sponsors and fortunately I enjoy venison. There were other alternatives as well. I enjoyed the Scooters Pizzas over lunch opposed to a lucky packet from Woolworths.

Also remember that the race makes use of schools and their local kitchens to prepare the food. Small towns like Calitzdorp, Prins Albert and De Rust benefits hugely from this. KKI trains the staff at these venues and ensures that hygine etc is tested regularly. Ever wondered why so many riders gets the sh!ts at other big races?

Water points - These were stocked with energy drinks, fruit, potatoes and water last year. It goes much quicker when everyone fill their own bottles and the water points were set out to enable us to do this quickly and efficiently with single source water as is the standard at stage races these days. I never expected a buffet and an air conditioned tent to rest in, and this was not provided.

Tech zones are a luxury and I prefer that these stay out of water points. Even the Epic has more issues with tech zones than what their worth is to the race. It stretches logistics and therefor inflates prices, causing riders to complain about pricing.

Seeding - There were about 350 riders and I guess that most appreciate the warm-up behind the safety car. By the second day the fast guys would be in the front and the slower guys will be in the back and after the first climb everyone is usually where they should be. If the race does get any bigger I am sure that they will get a second or even a third neutral vehicle to keep the groups manageable I know that the organisers try to minimize the effect of traffic disruptions in the towns and one mass start is the best way to minimize this.

At least there seems to be very little criticism of the route. Its important because most races are judged by the route first and the the organisation. At under R10k per rider I think that this is still a good value proposition, but Joberg2C seems to be the premier race in this price range at present and given a choice I would probably opt for J2C

• Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Food - We received enough carbs and protein to feed an army. Some variety on the Veg front would have been nice though. KKI is one of the sponsors and fortunately I enjoy venison. There were other alternatives as well. I enjoyed the Scooters Pizzas over lunch opposed to a lucky packet from Woolworths.

Also remember that the race makes use of schools and their local kitchens to prepare the food. Small towns like Calitzdorp, Prins Albert and De Rust benefits hugely from this. KKI trains the staff at these venues and ensures that hygine etc is tested regularly. Ever wondered why so many riders gets the sh!ts at other big races?

Water points - These were stocked with energy drinks, fruit, potatoes and water last year. It goes much quicker when everyone fill their own bottles and the water points were set out to enable us to do this quickly and efficiently with single source water as is the standard at stage races these days. I never expected a buffet and an air conditioned tent to rest in, and this was not provided.

Tech zones are a luxury and I prefer that these stay out of water points. Even the Epic has more issues with tech zones than what their worth is to the race. It stretches logistics and therefor inflates prices, causing riders to complain about pricing.

Seeding - There were about 350 riders and I guess that most appreciate the warm-up behind the safety car. By the second day the fast guys would be in the front and the slower guys will be in the back and after the first climb everyone is usually where they should be. If the race does get any bigger I am sure that they will get a second or even a third neutral vehicle to keep the groups manageable I know that the organisers try to minimize the effect of traffic disruptions in the towns and one mass start is the best way to minimize this.

At least there seems to be very little criticism of the route. Its important because most races are judged by the route first and the the organisation. At under R10k per rider I think that this is still a good value proposition, but Joberg2C seems to be the premier race in this price range at present and given a choice I would probably opt for J2C

True...

Wow, first time I've heard people taking clients on a 7 day business stage race, classic!This is not on, organisers need to be careful with these sort of races and 'hogging' the accomodation options as they know first when and where the race will be staying. It's super duper peak season for one night, but they really can't cook the golden goose if they've got a long term plan. I'm guessing that at this price, most of the guys will be bloody pissed off. If they don't sort it out, you'll find loads of guys privateering their own upgrade package...or skipping the race</p>

Hey buddy..... good to hear from you. Will bring back your shifter asap. still need to take my bike in

Hi. Happy to hear the shifter worked out well and got you to the end.

I am sorry about your Platinum (or should we call it "Tin") experience, but for next year you know what to do.

DIY option.

Let me know when you're done with the shifter. If you're doing the W2W Adventure you can give it back to me there.

I didn't use the R 20 you gave me at Louvain for a coffee, I used it in George to treat my bike to a Lube and Polish.

Keep in touch.

This was my third Pioneer and from the route perspective I would say it was not necessarily easier, but more balanced. There were still a lot of mountains to get over, but the distances were shorter which ensured the back markers still had some time to recover and get their stuff organised for the next day.

A lot of what we rode was the 2010 route in reverse with the first and final day being pretty much the same as last year. I have no complaints about the routes and the water points on the way. The highlight at Water point 3 as always was the marinated ostrich filet.

The food at Calitzdorp is always not the best on route, but the cottage pie at Prince Albert was a disappointment. Louvain had the best dinner, but overall, I am not there for a gourmet experience. All I want is to fill the tank. Scooters Pizza got a bit "tired" after a couple of days and the pasta was also not my favourite. But, having the same food every day for a week will test anyone's palate. The Woolies lunch and top-up meals at the Epic are just as repetitive and the dinners at the Epic, while more professionally laid on by a catering company, are no better than the Pioneer food.

Everything starts looking and tasting the same after a week in the saddle.

I have no opinion of the sponsors other than to say I am glad they put up the cash to make the Pioneer happen again. I am not a fan of their business model, but that's not a debate to be had here.

One last thing which is still niggling with me. Where was Katot and why was he never mentioned? Has he become persona non grata all of a sudden?

He is a Pioneer legend and part of the furniture. You would always see him along the route somewhere or pitching his tent next to his Landie in the afternoons.

I would be interested to know.

The Dryland team are still as friendly and helpful as always and I really appreciate it that they remember me from the previous years and always have time for a chat. After 2010 and 2011, my comment to Dryland was always the same: Don't try and compete with the Epic by making routes longer and harder. Find your niche and focus on the overall experience. Punish us during to the day (within reason), but make us feel like a valued customer at all times and we will happily part with our money to enter. This year, I think, they got it right on all counts.

Edited by kandui

It was my first Pioneer and I was pleasantly surprised.

The route was great. I love technical riding and climbs so the flat gravel sections got a bit boring, but the scenery certainly made up for that. And it is a great bunch of riders (except one a-hole who cut corners in switch backs in order to leap frog other riders).

I found the food fine, sometimes actually darn good. Scooters did get a bit old after 6 lunches, but I was too hungry to care. That said, there should be more food for the riders.

The tech zone saved my butt when I rocked up 15 minutes before the start with no front brake. JP and his team certainly looks well after the riders who bought packages.

The bike wash was not up to standard. On two days I took my bike back to be washed a second time and once they guy started washing my cassette with lube. Not his fault, he is just a local kid who didn't know what he was doing, but oversight should have been better.

The organisers did their best to look after the riders, especially when the weather turned bad. Their call to cut out the first 15km's on stage 5 was a good call and allowing stage 6 to continue when the weather turned out ok was also the right one. And the reaction with the bee attack was absolutely remarkable, to the extent that they probably saved a life or two!

The route was awesome. Oh wait, I already mentioned that.

The massages weren't the best I've ever had. I got the feeling these ladies work on getting circulation going and not working out the knots. And they chat away and forget about the job at hand. At one stage the girl was working the same muscle for 5 minutes while playing with her phone!

Value for money: way better than the Epic, if you consider that you pay twice the price for the Epic! Maybe there are a few glitches that needs attention, but overall, good value for money.

PS: IF YOU DO COMMENT ON THIS POST, PLEASE BE MAN ENOUGH TO PUT YOUR NAME! NO USE HIDING UNDER A PSEUDO NAME AS ONE OF THE ORGANISERS.

Why don't you set the example and sign with your full name?

Thanks for the heads up on the 'platinum' rip off.

I have a plan for how to do my own upgrade next year - I'm gonna get a second and base myself out of a B&B in Oudtshoorn. Every morning, get dropped at the start, have breakfast and then do the stage. After finishing, get the lunch, free beer and hang out a bit. Book bike in then back to Oudtshoorn in the afternoon, for a swim a snooze and dinner later. Repeat x7. I know the accommodation will cost about R5000 for this. I'm sure that once everything else is added, you'll still come in way under the R18000 mark.

The furthest point from Oudtshoorn is Prince Albert which is just over 100k, but places like De Rust and Louvain are less than 30 min drive. This is a much more enjoyable, flexible way of doing it.

Thanks for the heads up on the 'platinum' rip off.

I have a plan for how to do my own upgrade next year - I'm gonna get a second and base myself out of a B&B in Oudtshoorn. Every morning, get dropped at the start, have breakfast and then do the stage. After finishing, get the lunch, free beer and hang out a bit. Book bike in then back to Oudtshoorn in the afternoon, for a swim a snooze and dinner later. Repeat x7. I know the accommodation will cost about R5000 for this. I'm sure that once everything else is added, you'll still come in way under the R18000 mark.

The furthest point from Oudtshoorn is Prince Albert which is just over 100k, but places like De Rust and Louvain are less than 30 min drive. This is a much more enjoyable, flexible way of doing it.

Your plan sounds good in principle, but driving back over the Swartberg Pass to Oudtshoorn would be a bit of a drag. Especially back the next morning early.

You'll find a B&B at every stop and Louvain has 44 beds on the farm for rent. Plus, there are farms next door.

Saves you time in the car.

Your plan sounds good in principle, but driving back over the Swartberg Pass to Oudtshoorn would be a bit of a drag. Especially back the next morning early.

You'll find a B&B at every stop and Louvain has 44 beds on the farm for rent. Plus, there are farms next door.

Saves you time in the car.

I actually did the drive from Oudtshoorn to Prince Albert and back in the car, as I had to skip that day, and it took about an hour each way. Coming from the crappy Gauteng traffic we drive every day, that's not too bad.

That said, your suggestion is even better. Its the best of both worlds - the road trip factor with the comfort. Even with all the driving and the accomodation, it will definitely be cheaper than 'platinum' upgrade. The only catch is to find a good second.

Damn, now I'm getting excited for next year...

What would constitute a 'good second'? ph34r.png Yes, watch this space as it's already being planned (for other, upcountry races first thoughph34r.png)

What would constitute a 'good second'? ph34r.png Yes, watch this space as it's already being planned (for other, upcountry races first thoughph34r.png)

Basically anyone who is willing to put in a weeks leave for the privilege of driving people around thanklessly without the joy of getting to ride a bike.

indeed! The route is great! Beautiful ride.

Wow, first time I've heard people taking clients on a 7 day business stage race, classic!This is not on, organisers need to be careful with these sort of races and 'hogging' the accomodation options as they know first when and where the race will be staying. It's super duper peak season for one night, but they really can't cook the golden goose if they've got a long term plan. I'm guessing that at this price, most of the guys will be bloody pissed off. If they don't sort it out, you'll find loads of guys privateering their own upgrade package...or skipping the race</p>

Indeed classic! A very good way to do a tax write off while enjoying your favourite sport. Just make sure your customers are also cyclists! haha.

As an alternative to B&B's, do what we did. I had a support vehicle with caravan and booked place in the "mobile home area". Worked like a charm as I didn't have to pack each morning and wherever I am, "home" is. Worked beautifully! And it's cheaper than B&B's each day.