Lubrication: what works best?

Roneblack46

I was thinking of using chain saw oil but that is answered in your reply.

This is obviously not applicable to SA ito the lube service at filling stations. I would not want any attendant going near my bike. Have you seen those township bikes?

Um, do it yourself.

• Replies 36
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Chain-L properly applied and you will have many happy miles between lubes.

A single drop per link and left to penetrate all the bits and pieces of the chain. Wipe off the excess properly and you are good to go.

Never had problems with dust and gunk sticking to the chain either. Also had a few wet rides and muddy rides on the chain. No problems at all.

http://www.chain-l.co.za/

Not many stockists on their site but Im sure ordering online won't be a problem.

I've also used this for several years. it needs to be correctly applied and is great stuff, but not if you want a shiny chain.

Degrease with paraffin and lube with Finish Line Dry Teflon (Black bottle, red cap) used it for years now. Swear by it, never had any troubles.

Edited by StevieL

Finish Line Wet and Purple Extreme.

Car oil if you to spend 3 hours cleaning your bike after ...

Now this is starting to get confusing. So far there has been 7 different lubes recommended. Are they all that good?

One of my Buddies is a regular top 10 finisher in the marathon races and he swears by Squirt for the dry races and Motorex wet lube for the wet races.

Would the way you ride determine what type of lube is best suited for your bike when it comes to a serious racer or a social rider?

Lubes are about what you as a rider like , it's also how well they are applied that determines how long they last .

I use Finish line dry , been for many years and love it .

its personal preference

I use WD-40. Flame away if you must but I swear that it works.

I spray it on generously and catch the overspray with an old towel between the chain and the back wheel.

Then I run the chain through the towel to clean it.

Then I spray it on again, liberally.

Then I wipe off the excess and go riding.

I never have a rusty, dry, squeaky or noisy chain. It is light enough to not gather too much dust and works well enough that it repels moisture during the wettest of rides.

I use WD-40. Flame away if you must but I swear that it works.

I spray it on generously and catch the overspray with an old towel between the chain and the back wheel.

Then I run the chain through the towel to clean it.

Then I spray it on again, liberally.

Then I wipe off the excess and

I never have a rusty, dry, squeaky or noisy chain. It is light enough to not gather too much dust and works well enough that it repels moisture during the wettest of rides.

How far do you normally ride?

How does it handle mud?

I've been through all the different lubes - squirt, rock n roll, finish line etc. I agree with a previous post and I cannot get any dry lube to last beyond 3 hours in any MTB conditions (fine for the road bike). Lately I've been using Muc Off wet lube on all my rides and It's been the best yet.

I reckon once you've chosen a lubricant stick with it for that chain. Keep a separate chain for wet rides. I never used to like squirt but I've found that it starts working well after a few rides and reapplications and if you brush and wipe the chain clean instead of washing. The older the chain get the less often it seems to needs lubricating.